2016 AFL Trade Week(s)

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Oct 10, 2016.

By walesy on Oct 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM
  1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Boom. Trade week.

I'll keep this post updated with the latest new that drops.

10/10/2016

Daniel Wells has nominated Collingwood as his new home under free agency #NABTradeRadio
    Vickery to the Hawks. Richmond get a 2nd rounder as Compo.

11/10/2016

The GIANTS have received pick 3 from @freodockers in exchange for Cameron McCarthy and picks 7, 33 & 71

12/10/2016

Chris Mayne to Collingwood as a UFA

13/10/2016

Freo send their Second (23) to Hawthorn for Brad Hill

Brisbane get Picks 3 and 16 from GWS for Picks 2, 31, 51 and 60

14/10/2016

St Kilda recieve Jack Steele from the GWS for a future Round 2 selection

WCE recieve Sam Mitchell, pick 54 and pick 72 from Hawthorn for Picks 52, 70 and 88

Hawthorn recieve Tom Mitchell and pick 57 from Sydney for pick 14 and 52

Hawthorn pick up pick 10 and 68 from St Kilda in exchange for 23, 36 and the Hawks 2017 first rounder

17/10/2016

Nathan Brown to St Kilda as a free Agent
    North receive Paul Ahern from GWS for pick 69

18/10/2016

3 Way
    GC: Hanley and pick 67 for Pick 22 and 30
    Port: Pick 19, 30 for 2017 1st rounder and pick 67
    Lions: Pick 22, Ports 2017 1st for Hanley and pick 19

Melb receive Jordan Lewis, Pick 57 and 68 from Hawthorn for Pick 48 and 66

Freo receive Joel Hamling and Pick 40, 63 from the Dogs for Pick 35, 43

19/10/2016

Melbourne receive Hibberd and Pick 59 from the Bombers for pick 29, 68

Richmond receive Prestia and pick 24 from the Suns for Pick 6 and the Tigers 2017 2nd Rounder

Richmond reveive Nankervis from Sydney for pick 46

20/10/2016

Suns get Witts from Collingwood for pick 44, 63

Suns receive pick 35, 43 from Dogs for Picks 26 and 80

North receive Hrovat, Dogs 2017 3rd and 4th Rounder from Dogs for North 2017 3rd and 4th rounder

Freo pick up Kersten from Geelong for Pick 63

Cats get Tuohy and Blues 2017 2nd Rounder for Smedts, Pick 63 and the Cats 2017 1st Rounder

Richmond receive Caddy and pick 56 from the Cats for Pick 24 and 64

Swans get Pick 31 from the Giants for Picks 39 and 52

Suns receive Jarryd Lyons and Pick 71 from the Crows for Pick 43 and 67

Melbourne get Pay McKenna and pick 51 from the Giants for Pick 57 and 59

Eagles get Vardy from the Cats for pick 72

Dogs get Cloke from Collingwood for Pick 76

Essendon into James Stewart from the Giants for Pick 77

Geelong get Aaron Black from North for pick 92

Collingwood get Will Hoskin-Elliot from the Giants for the Pies 2017 2nd Rounder

North pick up Marley Williams for a bag of chips (Pick 105)

Collingwood pick up Lynden Dunn and Pick 51 from the Dees for Pick 47

Suns pick up Pick 73 and Dockers 2017 2nd Rounder, Freo get Pick 35, 71 and the Suns 2017 4th Rounder

Saints get Koby Stevens, Pick 61 and the Dogs 4th Rounder, the Dogs get Pick 50 and the Saints 2017 5th Rounder

Carlton receive Rhys Palmer from the Giants for Pick 135

Carlton receive Marchbank, Pickett and the Giants 2017 2nd Rounder, Giants get Pick 45, 58 and the Blues 2017 1st Rounder

Giants get Deledio, Richmond pick up the Giants 2017 1st and 2017 3rd Rounders

Carlton receive Pick 48, 66 and 70 from Hawthorn for the Blues 2017 2nd Rounder

Hawks get Jom, Suns receive Pick 10 and the Blues 2017 2nd Rounder

Port get Pick 14, 17 and 31, Swans pick up Pick 9, 19 and 49

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Oct 10, 2016.

1. graeme
      graeme
      Cannot agree with GWS's stance of "we were not at fault" when employees appear to be the cause of the problem. While, Allen and Lambert probably acted outside their "defined" responsibilities they were employees and thus their employer (the board) has a problem. For example, had there been a direct monetary loss by them incurring costs outside their responsibilities then the board would accept the loss and try to ameliorate that loss by personal actions against Allen and Lambert to recover the loss.

Yes, there was an internal review which may have lead to the two employees resigning and that meant they became other clubs' problems. For example, the Lions lose Lambert's services for a year for actions performed at GWS. This is distinctly different from they loss scenario outlined above. I am not sure that the Lions should suffer because GWS was cleaning out their house.*

My stance is that that there should be some sort of morality / ethical link within the AFL family. This is different from the "sad to lose him, great employee" reference that often shouts "are we pleased he has gone." Yes, we are all adults (perhaps not Whitfield at the time) but does that mean encumbering another club with your club's problems. Maybe I am taking a too high view of the moral side here but, IMO, the boards of each club should have a duty of care to each other. Play hard on the field where the umps can moderate, not play cynically when the common good is at stake.

As an aside, and where were the AFL? Typically they managed this by trying to bury the bad news on the day they announced the new 2012 Brownlow winners. Leadership? I think not.

* The pies seldom attract my sympathy so I do not want to stretch too far here.
    2. Len
      Len
      Whilst I agree with the broad ethical aspect of your thoughts we unfortunately live in a corporate world.
      Whilst I suspect Allan left under a cloud and post this becoming an issue, and frankly don't care as anything that ruins a minute of Eddie's day is a win for me, I do think the situation around Craig and Mel is different.
      They left way before any of this became an issue for anyone, there could have been no knowledge within the club hierachy outside of himself and Allan at the time of what had transpired. GWS were very sad to lose them and have suffered ever since, given the nature of the guy and the fact that his wife will continue to do her role I suspect he will also do as much as possible unofficially.

The clubs official statement is legal positioning should the AFL decide to impose draft sanctions and I completely endorse the stance.

In the last 7 months the AFL has done much to limit the giants "juggernaut".
      List size limit changes on the fly, Salary cap reduction on the fly, The imminent removal of the Albury region from their zone (hopefully with some grandfathering as the club has significantly invested in some of the candidates for next year, but probably not).
      Whether some of it is a correction or an over-correction is debatable, I think most of us cop it as there would have been no way they expected us to do as well as quickly and the heartland really does have it's skirt up, rightly so in some aspects.

The good news bad news part is debatable, the story plays totally different in the two states as you can imagine.
      Without intimate knowledge of culpability I believe the sanctions imposed under section 2.3 are appropriate for Lachie, probably a bit harsh on Lambert and a bit lenient on Allan, is as I suspect it was his plan.
    3. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      @Len - I agree a best case for GWS would be potential loss of draft picks in 2017 rather than 2016 for the reasons you mention. I haven't read their statement but do you think the club would challenge any penalties the AFL attempts to impose this year or simply accept them like other clubs have including Adelaide a few years back ?
    4. Len
      Len
      They look to have positioned themselves to challenge any loss, but at this point I'm guessing..
      I have tickets to attend the draft on Friday week, hoping we have all the picks the=n we have now that's for sure..
    5. Len
      Len
      Word is draft penalties will be announced in the nest few days, apparently the AFL has threatened the club to accept them or face further reduction in the Academy zone, seriously hope we ignore the threat and challenge.
    6. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      • Like Like x 3
    7. Len
      Len
      http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-23/no-2016-draft-penalties-for-giants-over-whitfield-case

GREATER Western Sydney will not be stripped of picks at the 2016 NAB AFL Draft over the Lachie Whitfield affair.

AFL.com.au understands if the Giants are to be charged, they will have the opportunity to argue their case before the AFL Commission. There is no time for that to happen before Friday night.

While its understood the Giants’ No.2 pick was never in jeopardy, the AFL had been weighing up whether to strip the League’s newest club of selections 15 and 37.

The door remains open for the Giants to be stripped of picks in next year’s draft.
    8. Jason
      Jason
      Did Carlton get a chance to argue their case before being hit by City Hall with sanctions for salary cap breaches?

I don't recall it happening at the time.
    9. Len
      Len
      I "think" the variable is a presence of vs lack of presence of clarity on the wrong doing at club level as apposed to individual level,

The AFL and ASADA both admit no wrong doing has been found under any performance enhancing umbrella, thus the prosecution under "bringing the game into disrepute" instead of the individuals involved, which I have .already stated I agree with.

Whole bloody saga has been a pea ans shell game, my biggest concern was and still is an illicit drug finding would have been his third strike, whilst respecting the privacy of the individual knowing that might have at least given some reason for such clearly odd behaviour.
    10. Jason
      Jason
      Agreed on disrepute finding being outside of ASADA.

What about when Ben Cousins brought the game into disrepute, did he get a chance to argue his case before being hit with penalty by City Hall?
    11. Len
      Len
      He probably would have if he thought he might succeed, same with these three, they either didn't to keep potential penalties lower (as reported), or because they felt they got off lightly, not close enough to know which, but the option certainly exists under law to do so.
    12. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I guess the same could apply to any corporate actions, but in previous cases as well as punishing individuals the AFL has also punished the clubs. As Jason suggests the clubs have pretty much "accepted" punishments and given the way the AFL operates I would think they would be keen to avoid this precedent - ie a fair hearing - becoming more common.
    13. Len
      Len
      Totally agree, under Gillon they have been totally about negotiated outcomes, suggest that the club refused to bend over the barrel within the timeframe permitted, time will see if they do post this draft
    14. graeme
      graeme
      Gillon was at the players association / union in a former life. I do not get how he appears not to get their argument that there is a need for two byes (ideally no games at all rather than staged over x weeks) during the season so all players get recovery time.
      • Like Like x 1
    15. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      @greame - it is really quite bizarre, unfortunately the media seemed to get behind the "pre-finals" bye.

I actually prefer the "split round" model (whether that be 8-1, 7-2, 6-3 or 5-4) with the split rounds in May and July.

Even with the current pre-finals bye if the AFL could cope with teams having "games in hand" the early season split round in 2017 could potentially have had 10 matches due to the Gold Coast-Port Adelaide bye in Round 9, so could have had 8-2, 7-3, 6-4 or 5-5 depending on a best fit of what fans, clubs and broadcasters want.