2016 ORFFF Rep Footy - East vs West

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Pubs, bars and watering holes - now that's my style of end of season footy trip :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I like one of these ideas

3. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

which one ??????????????

4. anthak

Haha i was wondering if someone would ask that :D
    Intriguing isnt it. I havent yet decided which one of them i like most :)

5. TheTassieHawk

It looks like we have had 9 coaches chip in, and the numbers so far seem to support Round 23, with 2 teams playing 22 a side)

Venue aside - If we go ahead then the Board can decide this however they see fit - here are my thoughts on how we might put the sides together, feel free to pull these apart or come up with alternatives as necessary

---------------------

1 - we appoint a head coach or coaching panel of 2 or 3 coaches for each "rep side" by the end of the ORFFF home and away season

2 - ALL teams nominate 7 players for consideration for their rep side by 7pm Wednesday 10th August (any teams who do not nominate players will have their D1, D2, M1, M2, F1, F2 and R1 by highest 2016 SC average nominated on their behalf, injured players will be ignored)

3 - coaches/coaching panels or the 8 coaches in each "rep side" select a 36 player squad by 7pm Wednesday 17th August
    - 3a - the 36 player squad consists of 3 players from each ORFFF side plus 12 wildcard selections, with no restrictions on whether a player was nominated under 2 above, OR
    - 3b - the 36 players squad can be selected without restrictions from the 56 players nominated as per 2 above

4 - coaches/coaching panels or the 8 coaches in each "rep side" select a 26 player squad (22 players plus 4 emergencies) from the 36 players named as per 3 above by 12 midday on Friday 26th August, and the 2 named teams will clash under SC rules except that the match will lockout from the first game of the round (no loopholes) and no Captain or Vice Captain will receive double points

5 - we have SEVERAL scoring updates throughout the weekend - ie 3 or 4 progress scores should be possible

6 - the Winning Rep Footy Side receives some sort of shield or trophy - all 16 coaches any ORFFF fans can suggest a name that we adopt

---------------

In the event that some coaches are disinterested then we split the interested coaches into 2 sides (still geographical) and forget the rest and play 15 per side (plus 4 emgs) ORFFF style, with squads of 27 likely to be sufficient

Thoughts ??

• Like Like x 1
  6. anthak

sounds good!
    I prefer 3b instead of 3a

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bearfly

+1

8. TheTassieHawk

I thought I would check the squads after 10 rounds. Based soley on YTD SC averages of players who played in Round 10 these would be the 22 for each side ( I didn't bother with emergencies) presuming I didn't make any mistakes (which is entirely possible).

East (CCC 5, DBB 4, CBA 4, DDB 3, JJD 2, 29ers 2, RGF 1, MCG 1)
    Heath Shaw, Sam Docherty, Josh Gibson, Matthew Boyd, Jimmy Bartel, Jasper Pittard
    Patrick Dangerfield, Daniel Hannebery, Scott Pendlebury, Gary Ablett, Adam Treloar, Josh P. Kennedy, Callan Ward, Trent Cotchin
    Dayne Zorko, Luke DAHLHAUS, Jarrad Waite, Leigh Montagna, Aaron Hall, Lance Franklin
    Todd Goldstein, Nic Naitanui

Central and West (ULV 6, MLA 5, NIN 4, PLP 2, WPW 2, MTB 2, WIW 1, HIS 0)
    Kade Simpson, Alex Rance, Jeremy HOWE, Daniel Rich, Ben Reid, Nick Haynes
    Lachie Neale, Luke PARKER, Steele Sidebottom, Bryce Gibbs, Stephen Coniglio, Tom Mitchell, Robbie Gray, Matt Priddis
    Josh J. Kennedy, Dustin MARTIN, Nick Riewoldt, Zac Merrett, Brett Deledio, Scott LYCETT
    Max GAWN, Mark Blicavs

East has the highest YTD total average (2408 to 2253) but based on Round 10 scores the result would have been a 22 point margin to the East (2364 to 2342).

The average age of the 44 players is 27.12. The 3 youngest are Merrett, Coniglio and Docherty and the 3 oldest are Boyd, NRoo and Waite. There are a lot of players within 5 points of a position and a few injured players such as Johanissen to return prior to the seasons end.

• Like Like x 3
  9. anthak

looks like Heard Island is the only team not participating. Its a bit far for us to send players across for just an exhibition game.

10. TheTassieHawk

Not sure if that was because broadbent missing a match in round 10 was the reason, he appears to be averaging quite well as are your D2 and D3

Does this indicate that the match won't be at Heard Island Mr Commish ??

11. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I like this idea. An East v West representative all-stars game!
    I know I'm late to the party, but I'll definitely support it. The bye rounds would have been my preference (trying to get this going in the ORFFU next year), but that clearly was missed.
    Personally, I don't think you should have to nominate players for eligibility, it should simply be the collective coaches getting together to name a side. 22 each as per SC makes sense to me - there's some pretty strong sides available.

As an added twist, I'd propose that any player who gets traded from one division to the other during the bye period is ineligible - players can only be selected if they've played their entire season in the same division. This might create some great rivalry between the divisions, some great comradery within each division, or simply cause some sore-points when the trades come around!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bearfly

I would actually like to see a cap on the amount of players from any club set at 4 so we can ensure every team has at least 1 representative

13. anthak

Rather than a cap, i would prefer a minimum of 1 per club.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

Agree with this - all teams should have a representative.

• Like Like x 4
  15. TheTassieHawk

+1 here, as per the above all teams will have players missing out by only a bees whisker anyway and with 2 teams of 22 all the deserving players will have every chance to make the side regardless

I also have no probs with the idea of barring any players traded from East-West (or vice versa) if everyone supports the idea, but am OK if we allow them to play for the side they end up with

either way it would be nice for some of these details to be worked out before the finals start so the coaches who finish 9th-16th can get involved in debating the teams once the regular season finishes up provided the collective coaching idea is supported ahead of 1 or 2 nominees per side

• Like Like x 1
  16. anthak

I think collective coaching is the way to go.
    Are we good to get into team selecting now?

Is there anything left that needs to be decided? If so, just go with whatever yas been suggested etc.

17. TheTassieHawk

a venue - unless I have missed any announcements above ?

18. anthak

I mentioned I liked one of these ideas ;)

Given the way the season finished, I think it would be fitting for the 9th placed team to host the game in round 23.

19. TheTassieHawk

Hopefully @tyze1 is happy to take up the invitation, from memory the Riverina area has some lovely towns, vineyards and tourist attractions which should make for a great event.

20. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

I like the idea of wooden spoon hosting, but happy with 9th

• Like Like x 1