2016 Preseason injuries

Discussion in 'AFL' started by walesy, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Dave Matthews would have to be the most incompetent CEO in the AFL.

@Len - would be interested in your thoughts on this new development?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Still trying to digest it to be honest, I supported the clubs stance on trading him at the end of last season.
    After Boyd the year before it pretty much had to be done or the floodgates would have been left open for a Brisbane style exodus.

I fully expected him to be traded at the end of this year for a decent value for both teams.

I have had people close to me struggle with depression and so also have a great deal of empathy for the player.

Right now the club has dealt with it correctly sending him home on indefinite leave, where it goes from here is anyone's guess but I suspect he will either be released (unlikely) or traded for token value at seasons end to a WA team, it doesn't have to be Freo, and tbh I'd hope it wasn't.

Again though, still digesting it tbh

• Like Like x 3
  3. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

""Following last year's trade period we agreed to implement a range of measures to ensure Cam was able to spend more time in Western Australia with his family.

"This included augmenting his training schedule as well as bolstering what was already a comprehensive welfare framework."

Looks like it's their plan in action. Hopefully it works out best for all parties involved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

Sadly I don't think indefinite leave was part of the plan, especially given only one year to go on the contract. Have to see how the year pans out but they're gonna need to get him on the park to retain whatever trade value they can. Unless of course they convince him to stay!

5. Jason

Isn't he contracted for 2016 and 2017?

6. stripey

Is he? Now you say it you're probably right. They extended his contract didn't they.

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Yep he is

8. walesy

What is "indefinite" though. Surely when entering into the agreement, it was always on the cards that he'd be needing time at home.

Hopefully it doesn't affect his value though- cause I imagine he'll be gone at the end of the year.

9. Jason

As long as it takes for his trade value to tend towards zero.

10. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

If it was part of their plan for him to visit WA more, they wouldn't be coming out publicly saying he's on indefinite leave. If it was planned there wouldn't be a need to do this at all.

First Rounder + Good Player would have be at least the minimum of his value last year, maybe just a draft pick now.

11. stripey

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. walesy

Needs a dislike button that one does!

• Like Like x 3
  13. port_leschenault

Damn that sucks. Hopefully get him back fully fit post-byes and run to finals.

Not too bad for Hawks though, structure wise. Schoey/Gunston/Ceglar forward line is good enough, if not fully tested properly. Guys like Sicily, Spangher, Fitzpatrick, O'Brien in the wings too if they step up over pre-season

14. walesy

Certainly opens a great big fantasy-relevant place in their forward line for half a season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. port_leschenault

Maybe give 5-10ppg increase to the forwards mentioned. I'd say it makes Gunston more unpredictable. He could have a big 130-140 game one week then get double teamed and score a 60!

16. snoz

snoz Moderator

And there goes Charlie - great bloody footballer but made of balsa wood...........

Adelaide Port Adelaide's Charlie Dixon will miss at least a month of AFL in rehabilitation after suffering a knee injury at training.

He sustained minor damage to his left meniscus on Monday in the mishap.

Dixon had surgery on Tuesday and will spend four to six weeks in recovery.

Port Adelaide head of high performance Darren Burgess said Dixon should recover quickly from the setback.

"His operation was pretty straightforward and we'll be able to get him through his rehab by the end of the NAB Challenge," said Burgess.

"He actually got through the whole session yesterday, but felt sore when he came off the track and we opted to get it scanned.

"It was in his best interests to get it tidied up now, rather than risk further damage when the season starts.

"He should be available for the NAB Challenge at some point, but our priority is obviously about making sure he's ready to go for Round one."

17. walesy

@Stevo7AFL is reporting that Leuenberger is at least 2 weeks away from running faces an up hill battle for round 1

18. port_leschenault

Oh Smack.

19. ORFFWizard

ORFFWizard Active Member

Headaches with my own keeper league squad that includes all of Ryder, Leuenberger and Dixon as talls I wanted to keep.
    Still got a week to decide whom I keep but Ryder is goneski
    Leuenberger RUC $241,794
    Ryder RUC $358,638
    Dixon KFW/RUC $293,496

$358 K to stockpile for a year with a salary cap of $8.19 million is not a good investment on Ryder.
    Leuenberger I may just have to keep for such a lower price and hope he comes back. Same with Dixon.
    Did not want to keep veteran Sandilands for one more season at $650K but got to really give it some serious thought now.
    Probably be easier for me to hear Sandilands get injured in next week to make this decision. I got Jon Griffen on my list so if Sandilands goes down I would keep him as a reliable ruck source.

20. Jason

• Like Like x 1