2016 Round by Round Chat

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by eagle_eyed, Mar 24, 2016.

1. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

With a top four spot up for grabs, Vikings had it all in front of them not beating any of the top teams all year. Vikings ruckman Grundy 94 took out the ruck duel but it was not easy pickings as Nankervis 88 challenged all day long.
    The battle in the midfield is where it is always won and Vikings brought it home TMitchell 123 Sheuy 112 Viney 132 all dominated, Miles 73 mid season trade target is well below form and has struggled for weeks, his spot is in jeopardy as Menegola is finding the step up to AFL seamless. Panthers only shinning light Parker 127 Hunter 93 below average Caddy 86 but will be better for the run and Ellis 75.
    Down back Roberton 111 showed why he a starting defender Rampe 107 intercepted Biggs 85 dashing run out of defence. Panthers it all went horribly wrong below average across the board Smith 76 top scorer Shaw 58 brought up the rear in a stinker.
    Up forward Heeney 145 finally arrived at the right time relishing some midfield minutes while still kicking goals Greene 105 played a perfect support role. Panthers Towers 100 Daniel 94 perfect mid season draft pick ups kept them in contention the coach must be wondering why Reid 49 was on the ground while Membrey played a blinder in twos.
    Of the bench Ross 82 needs to lift MCrouch 100 looks settled. Panthers Mundy 109 played a lone hand as Gibson 58 could not find the footy.
    3.Heeney 145
    2.Viney 132
    1.Parker 127
    Vikings 1470 highest points for the round and Highest score since inception still was not enough to crack top 4 as other games did not go our way, guys still should be proud first finals appearance.
    @TigersTooTough

• Like Like x 2
  2. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

An absolute disastrous end to the season for my boys. We did all we could to miss the finals and completely stunk the joint up in the process. I can't believe how poorly my team scored in the final 8 or so games. Enough to drive a man crazy these poor performances. I'm totally shattered to not make finals after such a promising start to the year. A complete waste of emotions! Pathetic Parasites!
    Probably better I didn't make finals, makes for better matchups without my stinky team floating about. A much better team in 8th spot now and more deserving then my boys.
    Well done to the finals teams.
    Bring on next year, I'll be glad to have a full list again. Been an almighty struggle to field a full team each week with injuries and wada hurting bad. I thought my boys did well to give it a shake early considering all the dramas. Here's hoping my ageing vets can put together a good year next year, and my jnrs can keep improving.
    Good luck to all in the finals

3. ddsaints

How's the scores from my spuds....Schache, Jeffy, BJ, Hipwood, Gaff, Gilby, combined for 225........not happy. Poor coaching, poor management, poor end to the year.

4. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

As reported earlier from The Banchang Stadium, at half time in the game between Banchang and Ararat, the visitors had a huge lead of 12/1037 - 10/686, and an away win for them was a foregone conclusion, but someone forgot to tell the 5 blokes yet to suit up for the Barcrawlers.
    The defence of Enright (149) Tuohy (121) and Docherty (104) took to the field and absolutely smashed the opposition's forwards, keeping them to a score of 285, while posting 439 themselves. With Selwood (88) and Cooney (87) matching it with Ararat's Interchange bench of Gibbs (112) and Parish (76), the game had come alive.
    The 2nd half saw the Barcrawlers outscore the Armadillos 549-244, but the damage done before half time was too much for the locals to overcome and Ararat ran out worthy winners 1281-1235, with Gawn taking out The Big Tap convincingly over Banchang's fill in ruckman O'Rourke 168-27.
    BOG:
    . Gawn (AA) 168
    2. Enright (BB) 149
    1. Lyons(BB) 122.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

In the final match of the official season for both teams, the Grenades have come up trumps. It was only the 3rd win of the season for the Gisborne team who ensured Christmas Island coached by @DamoH stayed out of the finals (quite accidentally mind you) with their 9th loss of the season. It was a close match throughout, finishing at 1187 to 1155.

Both teams had a star in defence but also a black hole (what's the opposite of a star?). Young gun Daniel Talia led the way for the match, totalling 137, while old hand Shannon Hurn was damaging with 137. Heath Grundy capped a reliable season with a 103 and Jake Lever showed promise for Christmas Island with a solid 90. On the other side of the scale, Seedsman could only hit 27 and Trengove 31, perhaps indicative of why these teams aren't contesting finals.

The midfield for the Smugglers was very impressive, with 3 tons and an 80. Martin led the way with 123 followed closely by Grigg 117 and Tyson 113. These players provided meaningful scoreboard impact for the Smugglers and tried to drag the team over the line. For the Grenades, 3 90s were solid, but Gresham was most impressive with 91, showing signs for the future.

With the game coming down to the wire, an injury to Daniel Menzel sealed the result, as he could only manage 18. LeCras did his best in the dying stages of the match to conjure a miracle, but his 92 could not pull the Smugglers up to speed. Billings with a 99 and JRoo with 92 provided more useful scores to the Grenades without being fantastic.

The ruck battle was terrible all day, with the OOP Casboult only managing 32 and Kruezer 72. The IC line provided Gisborne's 3rd ton while the Smugglers IC line couldn't hit a combined total of more than 75.

The result will be disappointing for the Smugglers, who could have possibly played finals and challenged in the later stages. Gisborne have nothing to look forward to (boring for us hey @fresh!) while the Smugglers should have a strong loser's finals to partly compensate for the missed real finals series. They had 4 tons while the Grenades had only 3, an interesting anomaly. From there, there was not much else for the Smugglers with only 6 90+ scores to the Grenades 8. However, the key indicator was probably sub-50 scores with the Smugglers only recording 4 while the Grenades managed 2. The consistency, a factor often lacking for Gisborne, won them this game in the end.

EDIT: Gisborne also broke a 10 game losing streak :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

Surely this is a record?! :eek:

7. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

At least you qualify for the loser finals!

8. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

Exactly right @Tomster, too many passengers on the day for Xmas Island.

Cheers for the write-up.

9. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

thanks for your as-usual stellar work @choppers
    the heart and soul of the FU and the match reports! your efforts are appreciated

10. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

Round 17/20 - Korumburra Blowflys 1172 defeated by Groote Eylandt Barracudas 1264

The Cudas came to Korumburra town on a mission this week and walked away smiling with the 4 points in hand. A solid finish to a strong regular season for Groote Eylandt, consolidating 2nd place on the ladder.

It was a battle of the midfields with GE's depth shining through FTW. The likes of Hannebery (136) Bontempelli (133) Cripps (124) and Cotchin (103) got the job done in the middle and basically everywhere else on the ground. Zorko (98) continued his killer season, providing a damaging link in the forward half. Burgoyne (88) was solid in defense. Sutcliffe's late withdrawal left Groote a man short in defense but you wouldn't have even noticed, with Guthrie (110) dropping back to help out and provide some dash.

The Flys were always pushing it uphill against the strongest and deepest midfield in the ORFFU but Captain Sloane (137) lead from the front as usual in a BOG performance to close out a great season under trying conditions. Goldstein (127) was dominant as usual and won the Giant Tap convincingly against Nicholls (66) while experienced heads Montagna (116) and Hodge (100) stood up to provide a solid contest against the rampaging GEB mids. McVeigh (88) held firm down back and Johannisen (110) was brilliant intercepting and providing rebound all day in the face of the onslaught, even managing to charge out and nail a long bomb from inside the square.

Getting defeated on home soil was a fitting end to a very disappointing season for Korumburra, one they will be glad to see the back of. On a positive note, things are looking up for the Flys with much more competitive performances since the list was reinvgorated with the beginnings of a rebuild at the mid season break. The list management team are still keeping a close eye on the entire competition and will probably be active on the trade table again during the period leading up to a huge PSD for the club. In the meantime, its off to the "losers" finals to see if we can take some more scalps in junk time.

For Groote Eylandt, it's on to the "real" finals, where they should have a red hot crack at winning the flag this season. With Bob Murphy on the rehab path to go around again next year and lead this defense, plus the likes of Cunnington (94) and Jake Lloyd (114) currently running around in the 2's, these damn Eylandters might be even better next year!

BAFFU
    3 - Rory Sloane (KB) 137
    2 - Dan Hannebery (GEB) 136
    1 - Marcus Bontempelli (GEB) 133

• Like Like x 2
  11. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Mick for the great match report. The Flys are certainly on the up from the rebuild.

• Like Like x 1
  12. choppers

Thanks for the compliment and accepted but I reckon @Mick reports are a helluva lot more detailed than mine. Good job, Mick.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

14. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

@Tylo
    Monarchs 552/6/92
    Vikings 1140/13/87

Monarchs have plenty of stars to come, so far a below average performance for Vikings will need two more tons to make a game of it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ddsaints

Pakenham are eager to start booting spuds out of town,Tomas Bugg is out of here. Thanks for the few games and basically nothing really. Ta Ta
    Sorry @JPK I didn't want to start a new thread for delistments so thought I'd throw it here and let you sort it.
    I was more just looking to get my boots on.
    Obviously it's a delistment I had to do, but it still feels good getting rid of some rot.

16. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

You may create a new thread - its not a problem.... I'll do it for you if you want.
    http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/delistment-thread-for-2017-psd.89650/#807fjrIy2G1CkFLH.97

17. choppers

Good idea. Cause the "Coondog" needs to go too