2017 ORFFA ChiefBet Premiership Odds

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by ChiefRussell, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

I know that you all wait for it. With lists all back at 28 and the draft done and dusted, let the discussion begin.

ORFFA Premiership Odds:

3.00 Mount Beauty, Foul Bay, Venus Bay

Can't split this trio. Mount Beauty probably has the best starting 15. Venus Bay has the best overall depth. Foul Bay sits smack bang in the middle in both of these categories. ChiefBet will not split hairs. They will leave it to the punters.

8.00 Waikickamoocow
    The best of the rest, based on the fact that Nat Fyfe is back in town. Sam Menegola is instant points. The midfield is super deep (probably the best in the comp) and will carry it to victory most weeks. The defence is solid. A top 5 or 6 ruckman. The forward line is very young and unproven. Stops the Cows from being any higher.

12.00 Gariwerd, Iron Knob
    The Cockies are very even across all lines and very deep. A well constructed team. Would be much higher in the odds if it wasn't for injuries to Wallis and Christensen. Iron Knob still commands respect. Nathan Vardy is their best ruck prospect in years and he holds the Knob's fortune in his unreliable but promising hands.

13.00 Gundagai
    The perennial whipping boys (not by ChiefBet, but by most of the ORFFA Peanut Gallery) are ready to play finals football. Taylor Adams into defence. Mills, Billings and Martin ready to breakout. Neale, Cripps and Rockliff lead a star-studded midfield.

15.00 Wagga Wagga, Cradle Mountain, Darraweit
    Here is where it gets interesting...these three sides potentially fighting it out for the final spot in the eight. Darraweit might cope with injuries the best. Wagga and Cradle Mountain might have a touch more midfield power. Injuries could decide it unfortunately. They haven't been Wagga's friend in recent years.

16.00 Marble Bar
    The youth policy might start to pay off this year. So many GWS blokes as we all know, but they are going to destroy a lot of teams this year and that means points, points, points. Still probably at least a year away from finals though.

18.00 Charlie's Opening, Whitsundays
    The Opening has begun the re-build, but building around The Bont and Merrett is not the worst place to start. The Whitsundays have a very good top 8 or 9 players, but it falls away a bit after that.

19.00 Lovely Banks, Wineglass Bay
    Both ladies have improved their lists over the off-season. They still have a few holes to fill though before they can play finals.

22.00 Birdsville
    The perennial finalist has decided to tear it down after being a staple around the pointy end of the ORFFA season. In a similar boat to Charlie's Opening, but they didn't quite have the picks this year...oh, and they don't have the Bont. Treloar is pretty handy though.

29.00 Nunawading
    No Nic Nat kills them (to be fair, it would severely hurt any side). The forward line is a worry too. But they do have JPK and that is why there is one side below them in the odds.

30.00 Larrakin Lagoon
    The two-time reigning champ has decided that two premierships is enough and has begun the most radical of list overhauls. They have brought some young talent into the club, but would have maybe liked their first pick before No.14. That's the price you pay for being the champs. They will struggle, even more-so if Archie can't beat out Stef for the No.1 ruck spot at Brisbane.

So, ORFFA public...place your best and provide your thoughts and feedback.

• Like Like x 11
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think this is the third year in a row you've predicted I'll slide out of the eight, Chief. Third time's a charm perhaps? :p

FWIW, I'm pretty confident this year's prediction will come true.

• Like Like x 2
  3. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Rather measured and understated assessment of the Lefties, CR.
    The opulent bed we once made has been sold and replaced with a piece 3mm thin, cheap foam and a pile of angrily discarded membership applications for a pillow.
    It won't be comfy lying here for the next few years but we do vow to never interfere with snoz's record three-peat.

Oh and 30-1, give me a break!
    Even at 300-1, the crickets would drown out the hoards overwhelming you with their coin.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChiefRussell

I was being nice. I don't want to put anyone bigger than 50-1.
    Let's be honest, the odds are rubbish. It's the order that's important.

• Like Like x 3
  5. That KI Guy

Cheers CR. I tend to blur the line between jester and knobhead.

I guess I'll look like a real dick if @melbandy takes the spoon this year.

Love your work.

• Like Like x 2
  6. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Put the mozz on me, Chief. And my pre-season was the first without multiple injuries for about 3 years until Coniglio went down tonight.

There's a reason I've got a 10-deep midfield.

Kieren Jack, come on down ...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

I reckon the Opening are at slightly better odds (and ladder position) than where I have them.

Let's see how the new kids on the block do... hopefully the have the right stuff

• Like Like x 1
  8. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

One of the most eagerly awaited posts of the year. And once again a top read. I think your odds on the Cows are a little short CR. We might not field a full team for a few weeks - by full I mean having (say) four defenders. The young forward line might just prove to be a strength. Would be happy to get into the eight with no injuries and a little luck in the draw.

BTW, would be interested in what ORFFANs think will be the highest team score posted this year. Is there a 1600+ lurking out there?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bandit

I think we might see a 1650

10. That KI Guy

Yeah I might get that...for the season.

11. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Good read, as always. Kudos to Snoz for knowing how to build a draft team.

Not anticipating anything special for the Warriors this year. Ruck the biggest weakness - had a reasonable offer which I should have taken.
    Impressive looking forward line, but No. 1 draft picks and key forwards often don't translate into SC points. Still, very much looking forward to an enjoyable season - few big names to make the bottom half interesting as we bid farewell to the Misfits.

Prediction: The Warriors will finish on the ORFFA ladder equal with Port Adelaide on the AFL ladder :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Bandit

Did anyone jump on the misfits for 16 bucks?

You weren't far off at all chief, with Mount Beauty the only one I would count as a miss, with Lenny's guys being savaged by injury.

Daylight between the top 3 and the rest

• Like Like x 1
  13. ChiefRussell

Seems I got bullied into putting my team too high after supposedly putting them too low year after year. That, and Mount Beauty. Every year they are the bookies favourite.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I'd reckon we are still around 16/1 now tbh, the improvement is there but still lacking a couple of pieces to topple this year's power houses..

• Like Like x 1