2017 ORFFA Grand Final

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by JC, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Giants tanked, Misfits stanked

Close match
    WKI - 10/812/81
    MBM - 11/970/88

• Like Like x 3
  2. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

You are being conservative Len which is fair enough. When your perennial B&F winner came good with a 136 and Paddy chimed in with a 122 the result was pretty much sealed.

Remarkable how prescient CR was, and how Dean recalled in his excellent game evening piece, about the Cows' forward line. Next year, with a bit more rebuilding perhaps I'll get it right.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Len

The fat lady is yet to sing mate, good luck for the rest of the game :)
    I will be offline most of the day, heading out to see the gridiron "Sydney Cup" with my daughter http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k=1852efec231412beeb34ab2f8c1cce65-1503789612

• Like Like x 2
  4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I didnt even know it was a thing. Should be fun

• Like Like x 2
  5. Len

Pretty sure I am done.
    242 plus Laird vs B Crouch, Jacobs and McGovern
    Currently looks like 300 vs 265.
    The 3 Incorrigibles only need to outscore Laird by 36 between them in the last quarter

• Like Like x 1
  6. Len

Yup, grats @graeme I had more confidence in you than you did apparently :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Commiserations Len, I cannot imagine a worse way to lose a grand final than being run down in the last quarter of the last game in the last round. And to have such a small margin at the end. It says a lot about you that you are still gracious.

I am not sure I will really believe it until @walesy updates the website.

• Like Like x 2
  8. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

@anthak, I hope your 2401 in our TS ORFFANS SC league is enough to move you up the leader board. You had a terrific SC year and were unlucky to come up against a side that was playing for league wins not overall.

• Like Like x 2
  9. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Thanks mate. I was just coming in here to congratulate you on your win. Such a close game, I was watching it closely near the end, hoping Hurn would outscore JJK by enough to put me in front. Well done to you G.

The ORFFA SC league was one of my better leagues all season and one that I was particularly interested in.

And a big congrats on the actual ORFFA title too @graeme ! You managed the double!

Well done @Len on making the big game and putting up a decent fight.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Prick of a weekend all round for Len. Giants pretty poor performance. So bad he had to go and watch gridiron.

Congratulations chels. Your building in SC was also masterful.

Warriors pretty mediocre. Wonder if Wagga managed to get up?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Len

Not the best weekend of footy this year by a long stretch, but was great to have a tight contested ORFFA GF.
    As I said last night the Giants just didn't do enough, Haynes and Smith may find themselves trade bait :p

Final results
    upload_2017-8-27_22-14-52.png

• Like Like x 2
  12. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Grats to @graeme
    Well fought match guys.
    No doubt you'll both be tormenting us for many years to come.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Well done gents... cracking match. @graeme congrats and hard luck @Len

• Like Like x 1
  14. snoz

snoz Moderator

cow.JPG

Holy crap - what a cracking game..........nothing but 20 points in it.

CONGRATS to Graeme & Len for a wonderful effort and to the 2017 ORFFA Premiers - Go Cows !!!

• Like Like x 4
  15. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Great game, gents. Congrats @graeme and commiserations @Len .

• Like Like x 2
  16. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Well done Cows and Misfits for an exciting high-scoring Grand Final in which both teams exceeded 1,300 points. Congratulations @graeme and commiserations @Len.

This 2017 Finals series highlighted that premierships are won by squads rather than the 15 man team, especially with the Cows being able to cover three injuries from their preliminary final victory. The Cows mature-age first Round pick from the 2017 PSD – Sam Menegola selected with pick 9 went from being the midfield emergency for the preliminary final to best afield in the Grand Final, scoring 143 points after starting as a midfielder.

An ORFFA season is more like a marathon than a sprint, or maybe the Tour de France is a better comparison. In the past few seasons there has a standout team on top of the ladder who has been the overwhelming favourite, however it is almost like they have had to exert too much energy to protect their position, much like the team defending the leader’s yellow jersey in the Tour de France. The Venus Bay Vultures were the dominant team for most of the 2017 home and away season much like the Foul Bay Chickens had been in 2015 & 2016, however neither of these teams won the premiership in these years. The Vultures, Chickens, Grasshoppers and Devils easily being the highest scoring teams after Round 4 and holding the top 4 spots on the ladder whilst the Cows and Misfits were able to go under the radar for a while and then time their respective assaults on the premiership very well. The Cows didn’t get to the top of the ladder until after the final round of the h & a season.

Whilst @That KI Guy is very good at winning things and doesn’t discriminate – it can be a premiership, wooden spoon or Les W Medal the Misfits on the other hand are very good at getting on the podium for team award’s be it wooden spoons or premierships but can’t quite win the award. After five consecutive seasons in the bottom three the Misfits finished third and were runners-up in 2017, however the Misfits have been very adept at winning individual awards.

• Like Like x 5
  17. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Sorry, I've been offline for about a week and then have spent the last 24 hours pinching myself repeatedly to prove for certain Richmond actually ended up third on the ladder - so I'm a bit late to the game (like the Blimps for most of 2017).

Cracking contest and congrats to Graeme, and hard luck to Len. Both teams worthy grand finalists with lots of good players I could overpay for in trades :) hint hint

• Like Like x 3
  18. Lenny120

Lenny120 Well-Known Member

Great to see such a closely contested final. Congrats @graeme on the win, very well deserved and bad luck @Len, been great to see the rise of your team over the last couple of seasons though.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Congrats graeme and same to you Len! Awesome efforts and will be interested to see how your teams change in the off season but more so how they develop over the next 12 months! We have a lot of scarily good young lists in the ORFFA at the moment thats for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  20. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late love, Grats @graeme about time you bloody won one and bad luck @Len could have gone either way on any given weekend. Welld one lads.

• Like Like x 4