2017 ORFFA Rising Star Award

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by dmandrews, Jun 11, 2018.

1. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

@jimbowan I actually didn't take any scouting notes, with the focus being to take photos that I could use for future articles on https://milestonesandmisses.com/ and also for future ORFFA Award winners.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

All those clever coaches who have submitted. Alas, am not a spreadsheet person, so will put them here. Hope that is OK.
    5. Taranto
    4. Powell-Pepper
    3. Hipwood
    2. Witherden
    1. McGrath

• Like Like x 1
  3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

It must be so interesting for DMA to see all the votes from each coach. I prefer it to be private, but dont mind the transparency. My top 3 vote getters didnt even get in your top5 TiB.

4. TerryinBangkok

Would not expect them to.
    5. Lambert
    4. Lambert
    3. Lambert
    2. etc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TerryinBangkok

Confess I don't understand it really. Could not find Rayner or Higgins. Would be slightly more meaningful if it was a rating of each coach's PSD picks. That aside, Dean does wonderful work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. anthak

We would all have different criteria for how to select our vote getters. I like it how we all get to vote. Its interesting seeing the collective result.

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Rayner and Higgins didn't play last year so would be a long search :)
    This year may well be different, at least they will be eligible :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

TiB's comments do reflect the reality of votes for the 2017 RS when round 17 of the 2018 season is just finished. While the 5 guys he voted for all went well to very well last year, could 2018 form be creeping in?

Disclaimer 1: A cow who is not having a great 2018 is eligible for the 2017 RS awarrd.
    Disclaimer 2: Cannot remember who I voted for, might even be the same as TiB.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TerryinBangkok

@Len and @graeme both make valid and illuminating points.

Repeat: Confess I don't understand it really.

With a modicum of care I could have noticed it was 2017 and not 2018. And yes, votes probably would have been slightly different. My sincerest apologies for a bout of dotage, but WTF are we voting for 2017 for when 2018 is almost over? Looking forward, does anyone really give a flying f what happened in 2017? It's gone, dusted. It's like ant maybe having time for the review on Wednesday night. It's over - we've moved on. Stale.

Repeat: Would be slightly more meaningful if it was a rating of each coach's PSD picks. I will do a demo.

And why is it a silent vote? I note that some, perhaps a lot, prefer it that way, but my question is, what does it matter? Suspense? For 2017?? Seriously, who cares who @JC votes for?

"This year may well be different, at least they will be eligible."
    Just requires certain coaches to stay alive until R17 next year. That's like waiting around for GWS to win a flag. :mad:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Len

I care, I also don't mind if the vote is open or closed tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Likewise, I find it interesting

• Like Like x 1
  12. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles forward/defender Ryan Burton wins 2017 Rising Star Award

Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles swingman Ryan Burton has polled 53 votes to win the 2017 ORFFA Rising Star Award with Wineglass Bay Packers defender Andrew McGrath and Larrikin Lagoon Lefties midfielder/forward Tom Phillips filling the minor placings on 39 and 38 votes respectively. The top five was completed by Birdsville Battlers defender Alex Witherden in fourth place on 33 votes and Charlies Opening Spelunkers midfielder Sam Petrevski-Seton on 26 votes. It was a clear-cut top five with no other player polling more than 10 votes.

During 2017 Burton was a model of consistency, scoring at least 89 supercoach points in eight of his 16 ORFFA home and away games, including three tons with a highest score of 112 in Round 7. Burton had at least 16 disposals in every game and had 21 disposals or more nine times during the home and away season and in both of his finals.

Injuries during his under 18’s career led to Burton sliding down the draft order at the 2016 ORFFA Draft, eventually being selected by the Cows with pick 32. With Burton having now won the 2017 ORFFA Rising Star Award many ORFFA clubs would be left wondering how Burton dropped so far at the 2016 pre-season draft including his own Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles who drafted Burton with their fourth selection after previously picking Daniel Howe (6), and mature-age recruits Aaron Hall (14) and Tom Campbell (18).

Due to a leg injury Burton didn’t play any games in the ORFFA during 2016 and only made his first appearance for the Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles seconds in the penultimate round of the 2016 home and away season. During the 2017 ORFFA pre-season and early in the 2017 home and away season Cows coach Graeme repeatedly said “The ORFFA season is a marathon not a sprint.” This attitude come to the fore in Round 1 when the Cows took a long-term view with their herd and took the field to commence the ORFFA season against Len’s Misfits with only 11 players, the Cows scored 883 points to be defeated by 378 points. Although named in defense Burton was a late withdrawal and in an unusual twist took his place in the Cows Magoos side despite the senior side playing several players short. Although this move annoyed some Cows supporters it paid dividends in the mid to long-term, allowing the welfare of the Cows herd to take precedence and their return to ORFFA football to be carefully managed.

For the Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles Round 2, 2017 game against Charlies Opening Burton took his place in the forward line and excelled on the Cows home ground in his long awaited ORFFA debut, having 15 kicks, 11 handballs, nine marks, 12 contested possessions, four tackles, a bounce and six one percenters to score 104 points to put his hand up as a contender for the 2017 ORFFA Rising Star award. Burton played a key role in the Cows recording a 30 point win and few people would have envisioned at the time just how long the streak of Burton taking the field for the Cows and the Cows recording a victory would extend. Burton’s 104 was the highest score of an ORFFA Rising Star for Round 2, becoming the first RS for the season to record a ton, after the game Ryan commented "It's good to get some recognition for what looks like a good game. In this team, you never cement your spot until you're the Nat Fyfe’s and Tom Mitchell’s of the side, so I'm always trying to keep improving."1 Burton’s 104 points in Round 2 ranked fourth for the Cows behind Mitchell (118), Fyfe (117) and Sam Jacobs (108), with another nine points he would have been able to sneak into Les W Medal votes ahead of COS midfielder Zach Merrett who scored 112.

Against the Lovely Banks Lilacs in Round 7 Burton playing as a forward scored a season-high 112 points, to be the third ranked Cow for the game behind Sam Jacobs and Dan Hannebery who each scored 118 points. Burton had 14 kicks, nine handballs, six marks, four tackles and six one percenters in the 86 point win.

Against the Nunawading Nuffers in Round 8 Burton playing as a forward had 16 kicks, nine handballs, five marks, six rebound 50’s, 10 contested possessions, one goal assist and used the ball superbly to have a disposal efficiency of 88% and score 105 points in the Cows 210 point victory.

In Round 11 against Cradle Mountain playing as a forward who worked up the ground and covered significant territory Burton made an impact on the scoreboard in the third quarter, kicking two goals. Ryan finished the game with 13 kicks, eight handballs, five marks, five rebound 50’s, six one percenters and scored 91 points in the Cows 159 point victory.

During Waikikamoocow’s Round 15 game against the Gariwerd Cockatoos Burton playing as a defender had a career-high 29 disposals comprised of 15 kicks and 14 handballs, five inside 50’s, and took an equal team-high two contested marks. In the 225 point victory Burton was phenomenal with his ball-use to have a disposal efficiency of 88% and score 91 pints.

In week 1 of the finals Burton played in the Cows forward-line and had 19 kicks, seven handballs, five marks and scored 90 points in the Cows 1,365 to 1,188 victory. Burton followed it up with 17 kicks, six handballs, eight marks, four tackles, five rebound 50’s, a goal and 105 points playing as a forward in Waikikamoocow’s 1,459 to 1,041 preliminary final victory against the Gundagai Grasshoppers.

Burton’s heavy work-load throughout 2017 caught up with him and he missed the Grand Final against the Misfits with a foot injury. The Cows won a thrilling Grand Final 1,357 to 1,337 to win the club’s first premiership, becoming the first side based outside Australia to win a premiership and only the fourth club overall, joining Foul Bay Chickens (2012 & 2013), Iron Knob (2014) and the Larrikin Lagoon Lefties (2015 and 2016) on the honour-roll.

The profile for Burton in ORFFA Record season 2018 said the Cows “loved his ability to read the play and to counter-attack, he averaged more than 20 possessions a game and had a disposal efficiency of 80%.”2

During 2017 Burton played 20 of a possible 22 games (including practice games), averaging 85.7% game-time, 13.4 kicks, 7.9 handballs, 5.7 marks and 3.8 rebound 50’s per game with a disposal efficiency of 80.2%.

Of the 16 ORFFA coaches that submitted votes nine gave Burton the five votes as the best Rising Star of 2017, ranked first ahead of Alex Witherden and Sam Petrevski-Seton with three and two 5’s respectively. Interestingly the players that finished second and third overall in Andrew McGrath and Tom Phillips didn’t poll any 5’s however they were consistent vote-getters with 11 coaches judging Phillips to be in the top three Rising Stars and 12 coaches giving McGrath at least two votes.

Runner-up McGrath played 15 games for the Wineglass Bay Packers as a defender, averaging 72.5 points per game, registering a season-high 101 points in Round 10 and scored more than 80 points eight times.

During 2017 third place getter Tom Phillips played 13 games for the Larrikin Lagoon Lefties as a midfielder/forward, averaging 72.8 points per game and he scored at least 70 points nine times.

Burton’s average of 82.9 points per game in 2017 ranked second of the ORFFA Rising-Star eligible players behind Alex Witherden who averaged 88.7 points but only played six games. Burton easily amassed the most points of any Rising Star with a tally of 1,327 to record 239 more points than Andrew McGrath and his 16 games played ranked equal first with Sam Powell-Pepper. Witherden didn’t make his ORFFA debut until Round 12, and played the last six games of the season, exceeding 85 points four times with a season best of 109 points in Round 14. Due to his low games tally in 2017 Witherden is eligible for the 2018 ORFAA Rising Star Award.

The two hyphenated pure midfield Sam’s finished fifth and sixth in the 2017 ORFFA Rising Star Award with Charlies Opening midfielder Petrevski-Seton polling 26 votes to finish in fifth position after ranking equal second for games played with 15 and averaging 70.9 points per game. SPS had a high ceiling for a Rising Star eligible player recording five scores above 90 including the highest score of any Rising Star eligible player in 2017 with 134 in Round 7 in a massive upset victory against the Venus Bay Vultures to receive the five Les W Medal votes.

Nunawading Nuffers midfielder Sam Powell-Pepper who finished sixth with 10 votes played an equal best 16 games, averaging 60.3 points per game, registering four scores above 80.

Although the 2017 ORFFA Rising Star voting was dominated by the top five a total of 16 players received at least one vote from the pool of 42 Rising Star eligible players that played at least one game in the ORFFA during 2017, the full leader-board is provided below.

2017 ORFFA Rising Star leader-board

Place Player Club Votes Position

1. Ryan Burton Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles 53 D/F

2. Andrew McGrath Wineglass Bay Packers 39 D

3. Tom Phillips Larrikin Lagoon Lefties 38 F/M

4. Alex Witherden Birdsville Battlers 33 D

5. Sam Petrevski-Seton Charlies Opening 26 M

6. Sam Powell-Pepper Nunawading Nuffers 10 M

Eq. 7 Tim Taranto Marble Bar Msfits 5 M/F

Eq. 7 Jacob Hopper Cradle Mountain Devils 5 M/F

9. Declan Mountford Gundagai Grasshopper 4 M/D

Eq. 10 Eric Hipwood Wineglass Bay Packers 3 F

Eq. 10 Brandon Parfitt Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles 3 M/F

12 Caleb Marchbank Whitsunday Warriors 2 D

Eq. 13 Jarrod Berry Larrikin Lagoon Lefties 1 M/D

Eq. 13 Matthew Kennedy Marble Bar Misfits 1 F

Eq. 13 Sean Darcy Charlies Opening 1 R

Eq. 13 Will Hayward Marble Bar Misfits 1 F

Burton played three games as a forward for South Australia in the 2014 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 8.7 kicks, 3.0 handballs, 5.3 marks, 1.7 score assists and 2.7 goals per game. Burton was South Australia’s number 1 key forward and averaged 104 Champion Data ranking points per game – ranked fourth for his state.

In ORFFA Prospectus 2015 Ryan Burton was included in the 2016 ORFFA Draftees – Potential Top 25. Champion Data commented “Burton is a classy key forward who reads the play well and times his leads and positioning to perfection. Extremely athletic with a good leap and a penetrating kick, he also has strong reliable hands when on the lead.”3

Burton was rated by Champion Data as the eighth best player available at the 2016 ORFFA draft, he was a slider to the Cows at number 32, being the fourth player selected by the club at the draft.

Burton’s profile in ORFFA Prospectus 2016 said “After breaking his leg and dislocating his knee cap in August 2014, Burton didn’t play a game last season. He first played for his state at the 2013 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships, averaging three goals per game. As an under-age player at the 2014 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, he played three games, booting five goals in his first game and finishing with eight in total.”4

The profile for Burton in ORFFA Record Season 2017 said “Already shapes as one of the steals of the 2016 ORFFA Draft. Burton has great poise, is a sound mark and in excellent kick and, in his brief taste looked comfortable both deep in defence and up forward.”5

Early in 2017 Burton commented to ORFFA.com.au “I'd love to be in the midfield at some stage in my career, but I feel playing down back is good for me while I'm learning the game at ORFFA level. I've always been a forward, so I can still go down there if it fits the team's needs."6

Although Burton missed the Grand Final with injury he had an enviable record in 2017 of playing in 18 ORFFA games including two sides and playing in the winning side on all 18 occasions. After not playing an ORFFA game in his first season on the Cows list in 2016 Ryan Burton made an impact in defence and the forward-line during 2017 to exceed expectations, convincingly winning the 2017 ORFFA Rising Star Award and also played a role in the Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles winning the 2017 premiership.

1 http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-03/preseason-touchup-helps-rising-star-hawk-improve

2 ORFFA*, ORFFA* Record Season 2018, Page 203

3 Champion Data, ORFFA* Prospectus – The essential number cruncher for season 2015, 10th edition, page 21

4 Champion Data, ORFFA* Prospectus – The essential number cruncher for season 2016, 11th edition, page 213

5 ORFFA*, ORFFA* Record Season 2017, Page 201

6 http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-03/preseason-touchup-helps-rising-star-hawk-improve

*AFL

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Len

Great work as always Dean, and a very deserving win to Ryan, grats @graeme :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Terrific write up Dean, very pleased to have Ryan at Waikick. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. anthak

Brilliant DMA. A very deserving winner too!

• Like Like x 1
  16. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Thanks for this as always Dean i enjoy reading your posts a lot. Congrats to Burton on a great season and his award.

• Like Like x 3