2017 ORFFF Rep Footy - Team Central and West

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, May 1, 2017.

1. leematty1

leematty1 Well-Known Member

i think rocky is long odds to play now, so the boozers representatives may be down to 5 now.

2. leematty1

probably fyfe in and priddes emerg now

• Like Like x 2
  3. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Might need to look at historical data on Fyfe at home against the Blue v Prid away against the Bombers.

Fyfe might still have the goods though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts:
    Def: 6 best pretty much pick themselves - personally I would consider Howe for emergency ahead of Hibberd
    Mid: Rocky is the big ??? atm - if he's selected then I think he's a lock - Sloane worries me if Mitch Robinson plays for the Lions (no doubt he'll tag Rory if he plays, and Rory has proven the past 2 weeks that he can't handle a tag).
    If Rocky doesn't play, then it comes down to 2 out of Heppell/Fyfe/Priddis for final spot and emergency - worried about the Eagles poor travelling record (especially in Melbourne) over past few years - would put Priddis ahead if it was in Perth, but I think it's between Heppell and Fyfe atm.
    Ruck: Jacobs a lock - Goldy is a worry, North playing Melbourne could see them decide to bring young Preuss back which could eat into Goldy's scoring potential. Decision between Sandi and Big Boy is a bit of a conundrum as well, Big Boy is in some damn good form atm, but up against Grundy could see a dip in points.
    Fwd: Pretty clear cut I think - even though Betts could go large against the Lions I tend to agree that his recent form hurts his selection chances - maybe slotting him in for emergency instead of Waite for now could be the go, then make a more informed decision when we know team selections.

Other than those comments, Let's roll them Easterners gang :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. leematty1

Well Rocky is out and heppell minor hand injury

• Like Like x 1
  6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear some other views. To sum up at this stage, I think this is where we're at:

D: Adams (WIW); Laird (WIW); Lloyd (HIS); ZJones (WPW); Simpson (ULV); Hurley (MTB); Hibberd (MLA) [NOT SURE WHO SHOULD BE EMERGENCY OUT OF THESE 7, Bearfly has suggested Hibberd, or Howe (NIN)]
    M: Sloane (NIN); Neale (ULV); Titch (MTB); Goddard (MTB); ZMerrett (WPW); Dusty (MLA); Oliver (WPW) - Last spot and EM to be out of Fyfe (HIS); Priddis (ULV); Heppell (WPW),
    R: Jacobs (PLP) - Last spot and EM to be out of Goldstein (MLA); Sandi (ULV); McEvoy (MLA)
    F: Yeo (WPW); JJK (ULV); NRoo (NIN); Buddy (MTB); Greene (WIW); JCameron (MTB) [EM: Waite (MLA) or Betts (NIN)]

Please note that for Maralinga to have 1 rep, we need at least 1 of Goldstein, McEvoy, or Hibberd to play onfield.

Decisions, decisions
    Whoever wants to have a say, rank these players and/or give other thoughts/views:

Ranked in order of current ave and then 3GA
    name CLUB, opponent, 2017ave, 3GA, AAT, AAG, note

Def (3 onfield, 1 em)
    Hurley MTB, @WCE, 98, 117, 74, 105, lock based on these numbers
    Hibberd MLA, @NMK, 96, 86, 76, 80, good average, but risky
    Simpson ULV, @Freo, 93, 110, 102, 97, in great form with 110 ave over last 3
    ZJones WPW, @ StK, 92, 100, 81, 51, break out season in the mids, in form.
    JJ HIS, @Gee, 92, 84, 96, 83, solid
    Howe NIN, v Haw, 92, 74, 82, 79, not as good as the others imo

Mid (1 onfield, 1 em)
    Heppell WPW, @WCE, 106, 101, 111, 104, as leematty pointed out, he has a minor hand injury
    Priddis ULV, v Ess, 104, 108, 116, 100, in best form, but as Bear pointed out, struggles in Melbs
    Fyfe HIS, v Car, 104, 87, 105, 96, not in good form with 87 ave over last 3, and struggles at this ground too

Ruck (1 onfield, 1 em)
    McEvoy MLA, @col, 100, 116, 103, 110, in great form
    Sandi ULV, v Car, 95, 95, 106, 94, probably misses out, based on numbers and also MLA teammates' selections
    Goldstein MLA, v Mel, 91, 98, 142, 127, Ticker says pick him, but as Bear pointed out it will depend on if Preuss is selected too.

FWD (1 em)

Waite MLA, v Melb, 147, 122, 130, 105, wow, averages 130 against Melb.
    Betts NIN, @Bris, 86, 68, 83, 104, Ticker is screaming out to pick him, but its difficult looking at the numbers

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bearfly

After having a some time to think I reckon I'll have a go ranking them - these are just my own personal thoughts though, based on gut instinct and what I've seen over the first 8 rounds, rather than any thorough research.

Def (3 onfield, 1 em)
    #1 - Hurley MTB, @WCE, 98, 117, 74, 105, lock based on these numbers - definite lock for one of the 3 onfield slots remaining
    #2 - Simpson ULV, @Freo, 93, 110, 102, 97, in great form with 110 ave over last 3 - be very hard to leave him out, Lock
    #3 - ZJones WPW, @ StK, 92, 100, 81, 51, break out season in the mids, in form - hard to leave out on form, lifted to another level in 2017 and Mills injury appears to have worked in his favour, good mix of rebound from half back with some midfield minutes
    = #4 - Hibberd MLA, @NMK, 96, 86, 76, 80, good average, but risky - settling in to Dees defence after injury kept him out early, was outstanding against Adelaide and has the capacity to do the same again regularly.
    = #4 - JJ HIS, @Gee, 92, 84, 96, 83, solid - no doubting his ability to score solidly but has had some quieter games this season, when he's playing well and scoring high Dogs seem to lift, danger is playing on Cats home turf in a big game for them (unveiling of new stand and recent poor efforts will have Cats out looking to redeem themselves and stop the slide of past 3 games) - solid but a risk.
    - Howe NIN, v Haw, 92, 74, 82, 79, not as good as the others imo - after thinking for a while I have gone a little away from the high flyer, has the ability to produce a high score but now not sure he can do it this week

My thoughts for Def: Hurley, Simpson, Jones for final 3 spots and emergency between Hibberd/JJ

Mid (1 onfield, 1 em)
    #1 - Heppell WPW, @WCE, 106, 101, 111, 104, as leematty pointed out, he has a minor hand injury - would have to say Hepp is in the box seat for final onfield slot despite hand injury concern - numbers are strong across the board - think we just wait for team selections before making a final decision
    #2 - Priddis ULV, v Ess, 104, 108, 116, 100, in best form, but as Bear pointed out, struggles in Melbs - average down compared to past seasons (is age slowly catching him? think it's more a case of addition of SMitch and overall improvement and lifting of Shuey and co.) - past 3 ave is a positive, as is ave vs Bombers - ave at ground a worry, as is Eagles yips on the road, but they have won at Etihad this season and can do it again - if Priddis brings his tackling game this week chances are he can put up a solid score.
    #3 - Fyfe HIS, v Car, 104, 87, 105, 96, not in good form with 87 ave over last 3, and struggles at this ground too - no doubting his class and ability to go large, but hasn't really shown enough to pick him with conviction yet - against the Blues at home though and Ross is pushing him fwd regularly in games this season so could score well with a bag of goals - bit of a conundrum really.

My thoughts for Mids: Heppell for final slot (pending selection) with Priddis emergency but watch for selections

Ruck (1 onfield, 1 em)
    #1 - Goldstein MLA, v Mel, 91, 98, 142, 127, Ticker says pick him, but as Bear pointed out it will depend on if Preuss is selected too - definitely the number 1 choice but that is all dependant on Roos selections (if Preuss gets picked then it is a worry, although he could easily play fwd more and kick a few) - definite upside is being against the ruck challenged Dees.
    #2 - McEvoy MLA, @col, 100, 116, 103, 110, in great form - clearly in strong form again (reminiscent of his days at the Saints really) - probably ends up emergency due to Goldy having a more favourable match-up.
    #3 - Sandi ULV, v Car, 95, 95, 106, 94, probably misses out, based on numbers and also MLA teammates' selections - numbers don't favour him against the other 2 - won't have it all his own way against Kreuzer either. Pass unless Goldy is rested this week (need to ensure MLA have a representative)

My thoughts for Ruck: Goldy for final spot (pending selection) with BigBoy emergency - if Goldy is rested then we have to pick Sandi

FWD (1 em)

#1 - Waite MLA, v Melb, 147, 122, 130, 105, wow, averages 130 against Melb - those numbers blew me away, didn't realise he had such a strong average against Dees, but I think Dees defence is stronger this season and Waite has only played 1 game in 2017.
    #2 - Betts NIN, @Bris, 86, 68, 83, 104, Ticker is screaming out to pick him, but its difficult looking at the numbers - numbers are far from inspiring, and is known to go missing in games - on the flip side, we all know Eddie performs far better against weaker sides than he does against the top sides - not sure Lions smaller defenders can limit him and a big score could be on the cards

My thoughts for Fwds: going for a big punt here and thinking we should perhaps consider throwing Eddie in to the starting 6 fwds (hopefully 1 of the current 6 don't get selected tonight), otherwise we pick him as our emergency ahead of Waite - call me mad if you like, but my gut says Eddie will at least ton up this week with a bag of 5+

• Like Like x 2
  8. leematty1

agree with your thoughts above, although hard to leave out waite based on the small sample size we have seen this year. only other one would be hibberd over jones if sydney gets a few more quality ins this week.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bearfly

No Preuss = Goldy a lock for R2

• Like Like x 3
  10. Bearfly

McVeigh out probably helps Jones retain his role

• Like Like x 3
  11. anthak

now that teams are out, I'll rank these ones imo.

Def
    Simpson, Hurley, Jones, JJ, Hib

Mid
    Priddis, Fyfe, Hep - could almost toss a coin to play any of them, they are all so close (I'd love to back in the Shag Fyfe, but I reckon Priddis is a safer bet.

Ruck
    Gold, McEvoy, Sandi

FWD
    Waite, Betts - its only for emergency, but i still dont think we can pick Betts on current form, especially when Waite is the other option.

12. anthak

do you mean we should put Waite onfield, or just into the emergency spot over Betts?

13. leematty1

i would
    have waite over greene, but at least as emerg over betts.

14. Bearfly

I would be nervous to select Waite onfield based on the small sample size of 1 game where the Adelaide midfield and defence didn't offer a contest - it will be a much tougher affair against the Dees.
    I have gone a little cool on Betts after seeing forecasts of potential rain in Brissy.
    Reckon we should consider backing in @anthak Ant's original thoughts and select Waite as emergency ahead of Betts and keeping the onfield structure he put forward

15. leematty1

lock it in eddie

• Like Like x 2
  16. anthak

@YAD69 , @Brett Sanders , @MrsBear , @That KI Guy
    Do any of you have some input for us on final team selection?
    See below:

17. anthak

Ok, so we dont miss lockout, here is a team. Fellow coaches, let us know if any objections...

Ive taken in all views from above and come up with this:

The mighty Central/West!:
    D: Adams (WIW); Laird (WIW); Lloyd (HIS); ZJones (WPW); Simpson (ULV); Hurley (MTB)... [EM: Hibberd (MLA)]
    M: Sloane (NIN); Neale (ULV); Titch (MTB); Goddard (MTB); ZMerrett (WPW); Dusty (MLA); Oliver (WPW); Heppell (WPW)... [EM: Priddis (ULV)]
    R: Jacobs (PLP); Goldstein (MLA)... [EM: McEvoy (MLA)]
    F: Yeo (WPW); JJK (ULV); NRoo (NIN); Buddy (MTB); Greene (WIW); JCameron (MTB)... [EM: Waite (MLA)]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bearfly

@MrsBear has been kept up to date on the team discussions as we have gone along by yours truly :)
    She's been pretty much on board with all my suggestions, including my thoughts on Betts even though she can't stand him :D

19. Bearfly

Now all we need is for Dusty to extract the digit and put in a good one for a change, and for Rory to overcome any potential tag that might be put on him (not that I really see any Lion player capable of tagging him this week).

Go the mighty CentralWest, let's roll those Easterners again and take this out again!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Go CentralWest!

• Like Like x 1