2018 AFLW Discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFW' started by TheTassieHawk, Feb 4, 2018.

By TheTassieHawk on Feb 4, 2018 at 9:31 AM
  1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

AFLW season 2 sees a GF rematch in Round 1 and a 7 week plus Grand Final length season, as per 2017. Expansion is set for 2019 and 2020.

The first ever AFLW prospectus is out now, and discussion has commenced about getting a draft/keeper league up and running for the 2019 season so register your ideas and interest below as needed.
    -------
    2018 Round 7 AFLW fixture
    GWS vs Brisbane, Fremantle vs Carlton, WB vs Melbourne, Collingwood vs Adelaide

Too Serious AFLW Round 7 All Star Squads (those who made the 2018 AFLW All Stars in red)

Team Marinoff - E Marinoff, D Pearce, C Gum, E Blackburn, K Donnellan, J Stanton, A O'Connor, J Lambert, B Jakobssen, C Molloy, H Miller, K Loynes, S Frederick-Traub, J Wuetschner, Sarah Hosking (aka GGDoL), H Scott, J Dal Pos, B Toogood, B Lochland, T Harris (replaced in selected side by Shelley Scott)

Team Eva - A Eva, C Randall, E Kearney, K Lutkins, E King, E O'Dea, E Bates, A Farrugia, A Anderson, K Paxman, E Phillips, K Brennan, J Barclay, C Staunton (replaced in selected team by Jasmine Garner), E Antonio, D Hooker, L Pearce, J Duffin, C Edwards, N Barr

Note C Bernardi (Coll), E McKinnon (GWS) and M Downie (Melb) did not get selected for Team Marinoff or Team Eva but were selected in the 2018 AFLW All Stars

• Like Like x 4

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFW' started by TheTassieHawk, Feb 4, 2018.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. dmandrews
      dmandrews
      @TheTassieHawk it is difficult to say at this stage if Conti has a shot at making it in the WNBA or Europe as she would need to improve a fair bit to get that level, however at 18 years of age she has got time on her side. In her two seasons in the WNBL Conti has been played off the bench for the Melbourne Boomers. At other levels such as under-age World Championships for Australia and in the SEABL she has proven herself, playing a prominent role and winning some individual awards such as being selected in the All-Star five at the 2016 under 17 World Championships and the 2018 All-SEABL second team.

From the age of 10 onwards Conti has effectively combined played basketball and Australian Rules Football and wants to continue playing both sports for as long as possible. I really like the decision Conti made in September 2017 to sign with the Boomers for four seasons until the end of the 2020/21 season as it enables her to play basketball at a high level, further develop her game and also to playing Australian rules football in the AFLW.

The condensed WNBL fixture with a shorter season in 2017/18 allowed the standard of the league to increase as it was easier for players to play in the WNBL and then in Europe once the WNBL season concluded whereas previously players had to choose one league or the other or join a team in Europe later in the season. This move contributed to several Australian players returning to the WNBL in 2017/18 and being able to attract high quality imports such as Courtney Williams and Sydney Wiesse who are both members of the US Women’s basketball extended squad of 34 players for the 2018 World Cup and 2020 Olympics. I would expect the WNBL’s 2018/19 season to be structured in a similar fashion to the 2017/18 season.

With the AFLW expanding from 8 clubs in 2018 to 14 clubs in 2020 the league needs to consider how to structure its season which may impact on Conti’s ability to play both sports. If the AFLW season started earlier it would probably clash with the WNBL season which iwould likely see her missing games early in the AFLW season, however I would expect her to continue playing AFLW as she would be able to play the majority of the games and has already proven how valuable she is.

If Conti had of accepted a US college scholarship it would have prevented her from playing in the AFLW so I definitely think Conti made the right decision to sign with the Melbourne Boomers and also play in the AFLW. After playing college basketball in the USA several Australians have returned to play in the WNBL. By the time Conti’s current deal with the Boomers concludes in 2020/21 she will be better placed to assess what her options are and whether she has to make a choice between Australian Rules and basketball. If Conti continues to play AFLW it will be very difficult for her to play in Europe due to the timing of the season however if she can reach the standard required she would be able to combine it with playing in the WNBA due to the timing of the seasons. It could be a different environment in 2021, however Conti has got a strong following among young girls and playing both basketball and AFLW increases her marketability.

At a minimum I would expect Conti to play in the AFLW from 2019 to 2021 coinciding with her current Boomers contract. Conti and other AFLW players being a dual-sports athletes will add another dimension to the TooSerious AFLW keeper league.

My plan was to publish an article on Erin Phillips at the end of the 2018 AFLW season however those plans changed when Conti was Phillips’ successor in winning the medal for best afield in the AFLW Grand Final so I fast-tracked an article on Conti instead and postponed the Phillips article. On Saturday morning May 19 I will be publishing an article on Erin Phillips covering both her basketball and AFLW career to coincide with her 33rd birthday and the start of the 2018 WNBA season during which Erin will have her first full-time basketball coaching role, being an assistant coach for the Dallas Wings who ex-Opals team-mate Liz Cambage is playing for. In the future I will publish an article on AFLW 2018 league best and fairest winner Emma Kearney but with her changing clubs from the Western Bulldogs to North Melbourne I will probably work towards publishing this article soon after the 2019 AFLW season finishes.
      • Like Like x 2
    2. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      That's an impressively researched article, well done.

I know Conti more for her basketballing than anything else. My view on that side of her career is that it's doubtful she makes it to Europe, especially if focusing on playing Aussie Rules too. She should have an uptick in minutes this season though as guard spots on the Boomers have opened up with Cole and Smart leaving. Likely to back up Lindsay Allen, another small point guard who plays in the WNBA. Not a bad tutor to learn from!

Be interesting to see how she does juggle the two sports in years to come, I think she could easily be a 20-25min player in the WNBL, slightly below a starter. As for Opals, whilst point guard stocks aren't the highest, I think she's a long way down the pecking order there (I recall Caro on Offsiders saying she was a chance for CWG, what...). If she does make that leap, then national team commitments and likely Europe clubs sniffing around would mean having to make a decision on which sport to prioritise.
      • Like Like x 1
    3. TheTassieHawk
      • Like Like x 1
    4. anthak
      anthak
      I just read that too. Huge
      Did you notice it sounds like the league facilitated it somehow. Strange

"This five-way trade has been constructed in a way that ensures the players involved have reached their club of choice, the clubs they leave are adequately compensated and the integrity of the draft order is not compromised," the AFL said on Monday afternoon.

"All clubs have agreed to the trade. The AFL acknowledges that while the AFLW draft system involves state-based selections the league is required to assist with the construct of some deals to ensure competitive balance is maintained."
    5. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I think the way I have been reading things is the AFL want players to move around to even up the comp and are explicitly adjusting the 2019 draft order around as they see fit rather than having draft picks traded in the normal way.
    6. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    7. anthak
      anthak
    8. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Even nine weeks is incredibly small. AFL just keeps shooting itself in the foot.
      • Like Like x 1
    9. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      At some point the AFL just have to get over the idea that the AFLW season can't compete with the Big Bash and tennis or overlap with the AFL because eventually it will have to do either or both to some extent unless they significantly reduce game length and play midweek AFLW games as well.
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Len
      Len
      Agreed, complete disrespect for the game
      • Like Like x 1
    11. anthak
      anthak
      Hi there,

I just signed the petition: Respect AFLW

This issue means a lot to me - will you please sign the petition as well? Every person that signs this petition builds momentum for the campaign. Every signature brings us closer to victory!

Join me.

https://www.megaphone.org.au/petitions/respect-aflw

After you've signed the petition, please also take a moment to share it with others. It's super easy – all you need to do is forward this email.

Cheers,
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Len
      Len
      Done :)
    13. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
    14. Len
      Len
      I don't mind the strategy for next year, but the teams coming into the comp in 2020 should be accompanied by a longer home and away season.
      I don't see an issue with a minor overlap with the men's game, there is no compelling reason to use the same grounds.
    15. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Logically yes, but this is the AFL we are talking about.
      • Like Like x 2
    16. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      • Like Like x 1
    17. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      THE 2019 AFLW FIXTURE (All times AEDT)
      Conference A - Western Bulldogs, north Melbourne, Melbourne, Adelaide Crows and Fremantle.
      Conference B - Brisbane Lions, GWS Giants, Collingwood, Carlton and Geelong.

ROUND 1
      GEELONG v COLLINGWOOD
      Saturday 2 February, 6.40pm at GMHBA Stadium
      ADELAIDE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
      Saturday 2 February, 8.40pm at Norwood Oval
      NORTH MELBOURNE v CARLTON
      Sunday 3 February, 1.05pm at North Hobart Oval
      MELBOURNE v FREMANTLE
      Sunday 3 February, 3.05pm at Casey Fields
      BRISBANE v GWS GIANTS
      Sunday 3 February, 5.05pm at Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex

ROUND 2
      GWS GIANTS v NORTH MELBOURNE
      Friday 8 February, 7.15pm at Dummoyne Oval
      COLLINGWOOD v MELBOURNE
      Saturday 9 February, 4.45pm at Victoria Park
      WESTERN BULLDOGS v GEELONG
      Saturday 9 February, 7.15pm at Whitten Oval
      CARLTON v ADELAIDE
      Sunday February 10, 4.05pm at Ikon Park
      FREMANTLE v BRISBANE
      Sunday 10 February at Fremantle Oval

ROUND 3
      NORTH MELBOURNE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
      Friday 15 February, 7.15pm at University of Tasmania Stadium
      GWS GIANTS v CARLTON
      Saturday 16 February, 4.45pm at Blacktown International Sportspark
      FREMANTLE v COLLINGWOOD
      Saturday 16 February, 7.15pm at Fremantle Oval
      ADELAIDE v GEELONG
      Sunday 17 February, 2.35pm at Norwood Oval
      BRISBANE v MELBOURNE
      Sunday 17 February, 4.35pm at Hickey Park

ROUND 4
      GEELONG v CARLTON

Saturday 23 February, 4.45pm at GMHBA Stadium
      WESTERN BULLDOGS v BRISBANE
      Saturday 23 February, 7.15pm at Whitten Oval
      ADELAIDE v FREMANTLE
      Saturday 23 February, 9.35pm at TIO Stadium
      COLLINGWOOD v GWS GIANTS
      Sunday 24 February, 2.05pm at Morewell Recreation Reserve
      MELBOURNE v NORTH MELBOURNE
      Sunday 24 February, 4.05pm at Casey Fields

ROUND 5
      BRISBANE v GEELONG
      Saturday 2 March, 4.45pm at Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex
      CARLTON v COLLINGWOOD
      Saturday 2 March, 7.15pm at Ikon Park
      GWS GIANTS v MELBOURNE
      Sunday 3 March, 2.05pm at Blacktown International Sportspark
      NORTH MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE
      Sunday 3 March, 4.05pm at Chirnside Park
      FREMANTLE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
      Sunday 3 March, 6.05pm at Fremantle Oval

ROUND 6
      GEELONG v FREMANTLE
      Saturday 9 March, 2.35pm at GHMBA Stadium
      COLLINGWOOD v NORTH MELBOURNE
      Saturday 9 March, 4.45pm at Marvel Stadium
      WESTERN BULLDOGS v MELBOURNE
      Saturday 9 March, 7.15pm at Marvel Stadium
      ADELAIDE v GWS GIANTS
      Sunday 10 March, 2.05pm at Unley Oval
      CARLTON v BRISBANE
      Sunday 10 March, 4.05pm at Ikon Park

ROUND 7
      GWS GIANTS v GEELONG
      Friday 15 March, 7.15pm at UNSW Canberra Oval
      MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE
      Saturday 16 March, 4.45pm at Casey Fields
      FREMANTLE v NORTH MELBOURNE
      Saturday 16 March, 7.15pm at Fremantle Oval
      COLLINGWOOD v BRISBANE
      Sunday 17 March, 2.05pm at Victoria Park
      WESTERN BULLDOGS v CARLTON

PRELIMINARY FINALS
      TBC v TBC
      Saturday 23 March, TBC at TBC
      TBC v TBC
      Saturday 23 March, TBC at TBC

GRAND FINAL
      TBC v TBC
      Saturday 30 March or Sunday 31 March, TBC at TBC
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Len
      Len
      Will miss the ACT game but we are hoping to make the rest of the Giant's home games this year
    19. anthak
      anthak
      Yeah I’ve penciled in the Brisbane home games because they’re closest to where I currently live.
      My daughter and I follow Collingwood in AFLW, but unfortunately they don’t travel up here this season.
      • Like Like x 1
    20. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-24/aflw-team-lists-almost-set-ahead-of-draft

Despite the article title this is showing FINAL 2019 AFLW lists

ADELAIDE
      Sarah Allan, Ailish Considine (rookie), Dayna Cox, Courtney Cramey, Angela Foley, Jessica Foley, Renee Forth, Nikki Gore, Anne Hatchard, Jasmyn Hewett, Eloise Jones, Sophie Li, Rheanne Lugg, Ebony Marinoff, Hannah Martin, Jenna McCormick, Rhiannon Metcalfe, Justine Mules, Maisie Nankivell (rookie), Sarah Perkins, Erin Phillips, Danielle Ponter, Marijana Rajcic, Chelsea Randall, Sally Riley, Katelyn Rosenzweig, Chloe Scheer, Jessica Sedunary, Stevie-Lee Thompson, Deni Varnhagen
      Inactive players (will not play in 2019): Jess Allan (work), Ruth Wallace (personal)

BRISBANE
      Ally Anderson, Lauren Arnell, Bella Ayre, Emily Bates, Lauren Bella, Ruby Blair, Shannon Campbell, Arianna Clarke, Gabby Collingwood, McKenzie Dowrick, Jade Ellenger (compensation rookie), Nat Exon, Sabrina Frederick-Traub, Natalie Grider, Tori Groves-Little, Megan Hunt, Leah Kaslar, Jessy Keeffe, Breanna Koenan, Kate Lutkins, Kate McCarthy, Brianna McFarlane (rookie), Paige Parker, Emma Pittman, Krystal Scott (rookie), Jesse Wardlaw, Sam Virgo, Sharni Webb, Jessica Wuetschner, Jacqui Yorston (compensation rookie), Jordan Zanchetta, Emma Zielke.
      Inactive players: Sophie Conway (ACL)

CARLTON
      Shae Audley, Amelia Barden, Kirby Bentley, Lauren Brazzale, Chloe Dalton (rookie), Brianna Davey, Alison Downie, Jess Edwards, Georgia Gee, Kerryn Harrington, Tayla Harris, Reni Hicks, Jess Hosking, Sarah Hosking, Bridie Kennedy, Katie Loynes, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Abbey McKay, Breann Moody, Natalie Plane, Gabriella Pound, Madison Prespakis, Nicola Stevens, Jayde Van Dyk, Darcy Vescio, Brooke Walker (rookie), Courtney Webb, Rhiannon Watt, Charlotte Wilson, Emerson Woods.

COLLINGWOOD
      Sophie Alexander, Jordyn Allen, Brittany Bonnici, Ashleigh Brazill, Lauren Butler, Mikala Cann, Sophie Casey, Steph Chiocci, Sarah D’Arcy, Sarah Dargan, Erica Fowler, Georgia Gourlay, Emma Grant, Darcy Guttridge, Nicole Hildebrand, Eliza Hynes, Melissa Kuys, Jaimee Lambert, Sharni Layton (rookie), Stacey Livingstone, Katie Lynch, Jordan Membrey, Cecilia McIntosh, Georgie Parker, Iilish Ross, Sarah Rowe (rookie), Ruby Schleicher, Maddie Shevlin, Kristy Stratton, Holly Whitford.
      Inactive players: Chloe Molloy (foot)

FREMANTLE
      Ebony Antonio, Ashlee Atkins, Kiara Bowers, Tayla Bresland, Stephanie Cain, Melissa Caulfield, Cassie Davidson, Kara Donnellan, Ebony Dowson, Sabreena Duffy, Kellie Gibson, Evie Gooch, Katie-Jayne Grieve, Dana Hooker, Gemma Houghton, Alicia Janz, Parris Laurie, Leah Mascall, Tayla McAuliffe, Hayley Miller, Brianna Moyes (rookie), Gabby O’Sullivan, Laura Pugh, Philipa Seth, Matilda Sergeant, Ashley Sharp, Angelique Stannett (rookie), Jasmin Stewart, Courtney Stubbs, Alex Williams.
      Inactive players: Brianna Green (ACL)

GEELONG
      Cassie Blakeway, Maddie Boyd, Hannah Burchell, Rene Caris, Georgia Clarke, Elise Coventry, Mia-Rae Clifford, Richelle Cranston, Julia Crockett-Grills, Kate Darby, Maighan Fogas, Renee Garing, Rebecca Goring, Melissa Hickey, Erin Hoare, Jordan Ivey, Madeline Keryk, Meghan McDonald, Maddy McMahon (rookie), Phoebe McWilliams, Nina Morrison, Aasta O'Connor, Danielle Orr, Olivia Purcell, Georgie Rankin (rookie), Denby Taylor, Anna Teague, Hayley Trevean, Sophie Van De Heuvel, Rebecca Webster.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
      Jacinda Barclay, Nicola Barr, Rebecca Beeson, Eleanor Bennetts, Christina Bernardi, Yvonne Bonner (rookie), Ellie Brush, Maddy Collier, Jess Dal Pos, Taylah Davies (rookie), Alicia Eva, Amanda Farrugia, Delma Gisu, Courtney Gum, Tanya Hetherington, Jodie Hicks, Tait Mackrill, Erin McKinnon, Phoebe Monahan, Ingrid Nielsen, Ebony O'Dea, Alyce Parker, Brittany Perry, Pepa Randall, Aimee Schmidt, Cora Staunton, Louise Stephenson, Emma Swanson, Renee Tomkins, Lisa Whiteley, Haneen Zreika.
      Inactive players: Britt Tully (personal reasons)

MELBOURNE
      Madeline Brancatisano, Harriet Cordner, Tegan Cunningham, Meg Downie, Chantel Emonson (rookie), Maddison Gay, Madeleine Guerin, Ashleigh Guest, Tyla Hanks, Shelley Heath, Jordann Hickey, Kate Hore, Bianca Jakobsson, Ainslie Kemp, Sarah Lampard, Lily Mithen, Aliesha Newman, Elise O'Dea, Brooke Patterson, Karen Paxman, Lauren Pearce, Catherine Phillips, Talia Radan, Shelley Scott, Casey Sherriff, Shae Sloane (rookie), Katherine Smith, Claudia Whitfort, Ashleigh Woodland, Eden Zanker.
      Inactive players: Daisy Pearce (pregnancy)

NORTH MELBOURNE
      Sophie Abbatangelo, Kaitlyn Ashmore, Daria Bannister, Daisy Bateman, Nicole Bresnehan, Jenna Bruton, Alison Drennan, Jess Duffin, Jasmine Garner, Brittany Gibson, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Jasmine Grierson, Chloe Haines, Libby Haines, Danielle Hardiman, Moana Hope, Emma Humphries, Emma Kearney, Elisha King, Emma King, Beth Lynch (rookie), Taylor Mesiti, Courteney Munn, Georgia Nanscawen, Tahlia Randall, Ashleigh Riddell, Maddison Smith, Jamie Stanton, Jessica Trend, Jessie Williams (rookie).

WESTERN BULLDOGS
      Kate Bartlett, Deanna Berry, Libby Birch, Ellie Blackburn, Katie Brennan, Tessa Boyd (rookie), Eleanor Brown, Nicole Callinan, Monique Conti, Jessie Davies, Tiarna Ernst, Naomi Ferres, Elise Gamble, Angelica Gogos, Bailey Hunt, Isabella Huntington, Selena Karlson, Kirsty Lamb, Brooke Lochland, Emma Mackie, Aisling McCarthy, Kirsten McLeod, Celine Moody (rookie), Kimberley Rennie, Hannah Scott, Belinda Smith, Lauren Spark, Bonnie Toogood, Aisling Utri, Hayley Wildes.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-01/aflw-the-players-granted-a-second-chance
      • Like Like x 1
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.