2018 Pre-Season Auction Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Fitzy, Jan 5, 2018.

1. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

I am putting PSD pick 32 up for auction and in return am seeking an experienced defender or an experienced forward that is in their AFL club’s best 22.

Cradle Mountain are taking a shorter term view in relation to this trade and expect that the player acquired will be in their late 20’s or older however I will consider a player that is younger than this.

Auction closes Tuesday 30 January at 10pm.

• Like Like x 1
  2. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Ok I’ll kick this off.

Lefties bid Baguley and pick 66.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dmandrews

Thanks for the bid @That KI Guy. Mark Baguley has a similar scoring output to the Devils current D5 Sam Gilbert. Replacing Gilbert on the Devils list with Baguley would result in one of the Devils PSD picks dropping from pick 32 to pick 66 so I would need to rate the defender being traded in as clearly ahead of Gilbert. As Baguley and Gilbert are at a similar level I would be better off retaining Sam Gilbert on the list and having PSD picks 14, 32, 43 and 50 rather than trading PSD pick 32 for Baguley and PSD pick 66. Reserve not met.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

I will bid either one of Bernie Vince or Michael Johnson, whichever player you love more (I know, I know, its impossible not to love both of them)

• Like Like x 4
  5. dmandrews

Thanks for the bid @ChiefRussell. Most of the decisions made by Cradle Mountain since they joined the ORFFA in 2012 have been focused on the mid-term or long-term. The idea behind putting PSD pick 32 up for auction is to make a decision based on the short-term and strengthen the Devils for the period from 2018 to 2020. Whilst I have not ruled out trading in a player I expect to only play for one season they would need to be able to make a significant impact in 2018 to offset not playing in 2019 and 2020.

A year ago Michael Johnson thought that 2017 would be his last season, whilst Bernie Vince will face competition for his spot in Melbourne’s best 22 in 2018. If CMD were to trade either Vince or Johnson in I am not confident that either of them will be playing in the AFL in 2019.

In the past five seasons the Devils current D4 Lee Spurr has averaged between 72 and 76. In 2017 Johnson and Vince averaged 76 and 74 respectively. I would expect that trading Vince or Johnson in would slightly improve the Devils squad in 2018, however I don’t expect either player to play beyond 2018 so the trade would have a negative impact in 2019 and 2020. I would rather retain PSD pick 32 than make the trade so reserve not met.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Agree 100% it's all a bloody raffle in my opinion!

Although my first round draft picks have more than often bombed than hit pay dirt in the past few seasons.

Funnily enough I have had more luck with my second round selections, or speculative ones further in the deck.

First rounds:
    2017: Bowes, Petrevski-Seton, Florent, Logue
    2016: Kieran Collins, Ben Keays
    2015: Jarrod Pickett
    2014: The Bont

Second Rounds:
    2017: No picks in second round
    2016: Darcy Tucker,
    2015: Jack Lonie, Liam Duggan, Tom Lamb
    2014: Matthew Fuller, Michael Apeness, Blake Acres

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Plenty of talent yet to come from most of those mate, in both lots, Pickett possibly the only pick bomb?

• Like Like x 1
  8. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

The Cows offer Daniel Menzel (F) as an auction prospect. The club is long in forwards and Dan has agreed to a trade (yes, art imitates life).
    The SC record -
    Year Games Average
    2010 3 53.7
    2011 17 62.9
    2015 2 69.0
    2016 17 82.2
    2017 17 71.1

He kicks straight. Number of goals per season:
    2010 - 4
    2011 - 28
    2015 - 4
    2016 - 33
    2017 - 40

He has had well publicised injury problems, but the Cats have managed his game time well in the last two years and the surrounds at Etihad have been upgraded.

The only currency in this auction (which finishes at 9pm AEDT on February 9) is 2018 PSD picks. OTY

• Like Like x 1
  9. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

You know what, I'll join in the auction thingee after all. Why not have a couple of auctions running - the more the merrier I guess.

So, I'm seeking bids and expressions of interest in Bradley Hill.

Mr Hill is 24 years old, a midfielder (at least for 2018) and is coming off a career year at Freo, averaging 80ppg playing 23 games and winning the club's B&F. Career highs in kicks, possessions and marks, as well as the best kick to handball ratio of his career. And metres gained - lots of metres gained.

Will continue to improve as Freo builds and he moves into the prime of his career. Will slot into many teams' midfield now, and most likely will hold a spot into the future through the midfield, M/F or on the bench for those with a really strong midfield.

In return I am looking for a defender of equivalent quality/age/scoring ability - any teams with excess defenders and lacking in midfielders could definitely benefit - or a commensurate draft pick in the coming PSD.

If anyone wishes to bid, feel free. Auction will be open till 10pm AEDT on Saturday, Feb 3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bandit

I'm tempted to make a bid given I carried the guy for 2-3 seasons from the foundation draft.... but my bid would offend :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Never stopped you before :)

• Like Like x 5
  12. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

I've checked with Dan and he says "given what he called me when I was at the Opening I'd be surprised if he could offend me more." I don't offend easily so go for it Banditto. We all like a good laugh and when directed at me they seem to be particularly popular. :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Gotta start somewhere

14. Bandit

Dan doesn't fit my age profile gents... I'll back away slowly, avoiding eye contact

15. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

For Hill I bid Dan Houston, played 17 games last year averaging 73, including Ports final. He's a few years younger than Hill at the ripe age of just 20. Defenders are more valuable than Midfielders in fantasy terms in my opinion hence why I'm unwilling to bid someone of the same average as Hill.

• Like Like x 1
  16. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

So at a little under 26 and a half years old Dan is too young or too old? Just trying to understand your recruitment policy - I am sure you understand. o_O

17. Bandit

Will be too old by the time my team becomes relevant again!

• Like Like x 2
  18. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Pretty close Fitzy but not quite. A lot of change and flux at Port in the off-season, and am unsure of the impacts on young Dan despite his impressive debut season.

In addition, I've got DBJ sitting in my team already and I'm not willing to have potential double lots of Port-related change and flux hit both of them.

But pretty close though.

19. dmandrews

The auction is closed for PSD pick 32, reserve has not been met and Cradle Mountain retain the pick.

20. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Fair enough mate, not sure I have much else I can add so I'll leave it at this point, cheers

• Like Like x 1