2018 Pre-Season Auction Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Fitzy, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to put up four players for auction... time to clean out the house!

These players will be in the twilight of their careers when my premiership window comes around, so if your window is now or you are short in a position you might want to consider.

Name/Team/Age/Position/2017 Average

Cale Hooker/ESS/29/FWD/79
    Contested mark beast, top 40 Forward based on average. Durable as hell (played 20+ games last 4 eligible seasons), but some questions about which position is his best
    Jack Gunston/HAW/26/FWD/86
    Top 20 forward, Hawks will be a better team this year after being crippled by injury last year, and Gunston will benefit from that.
    Jake Carlisle/STK/26/DEF/68
    Cocaine snorter, started to find his feet at the Saints towards the back end of last season
    Stephen Hill/FRE/27/MID/80
    Started off last year with a flyer with 3 tons in his first 5 games, only to go down with injury. Came back into form round 19 only for Lyon to cotton ball the players in the last two rounds.

I am looking for an under 23 player with an 2017 average within 10 ppg for each of these. Basically, a swap of position, or an up and comer. I'm looking for players that will make an impact in 2-3 years time, but I'm not going to accept dross or players who scream potential if the triple super moon lines up :spoton: (Jarrod Pickett I'm looking at you)

Reserve acceptance will be subjective, I have to feel the player has long term value for me.:p

Prefer bids on single players only. Offer for draft picks will not be accepted... I have enough, I want players now :rolleyes:

Auction for all completes Sunday the 4th at 5pm AEDT.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Hey Bandit - quick question, if you aren't after extra draft picks, would you accept a swap of draft positions (in your favour) as part of the deal?

• Like Like x 1
  3. chris88

Mr Commish - is it allowable to edit/amend the reserve conditions on my auction given no-one has met them as yet?

4. Bandit

That would be considered yes

5. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

Bandit, I will offer Karl Amon for Stephen Hill. Didn't quite make it to the 10ppg game difference as he averaged just under 68ppg last season, but he is 22 and averaged 83 in his last 3 (71 in his last 5). Apparently won the latest time trial for Port so is clearly "training the house down" Chris Masten style.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

yes

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bandit

Thanks Chief for the offer. After careful consideration, I am going to decline. I can't see being Amon being a player who will turn into an 85+ average moving forward... he will just run fast... around in circles... Chris Masten style and rack up low-mid 70s.

I also think Motlop will potentially be competing for his position.

To date he has 7 games out of 35 where he scored more than 80 points... there would need to be a few more for me to consider.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  8. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Bandit, I'll offer Jayden Short for Jake Carlisle. I promise he'll be more valuable than an opened BBQ shapes packet. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

It will be no surprise that Cradle Mountain are interested in recruiting Jack Gunston.

@Bandit, whether Cradle Mountain can offer more than one upgraded draft pick to you will depend on how many picks you use at the PSD given you are already in a commanding position with five picks in the first 31.

Whilst I don’t expect this bid to meet reserve, the Devils initial bid as a starting point is PSD pick 14 and 21 year old defender Mitchell Hibberd in exchange for Jack Gunston and PSD pick 61.

It is the second pre-season in a row that the Devils have placed a bid on a 26 year old, 190 cm+ mobile forward who has spent some time playing for the Adelaide Crows and averaged mid to high 80’s in their previous season. Whilst the Devils initial bid on Tom Lynch during the 2017 pre-season didn’t meet reserve the Devils got their man later that pre-season and are aiming to achieve the same outcome with Jack Gunston this pre-season.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bandit

The fact he dropped out of the Tigers team when it mattered most concerns me Fitzy. He has had a post season cleanout of a dodgy shoulder too.

Not sure he will be Tigers best 22 in a couple of years. I’ll pass thanks

Thanks for the offer Dean. Hibberd would be of some interest, but I don’t think the overall deal is enough to get Gunston over the line. I was looking to draft a player that promises potential... with the draft pick that is still a gamble

• Like Like x 1
  11. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Hey mate, I'll bid PSD pick #59.

12. anthak

I would like to bid in one of these auctions but I only have 2 players left under 23! 2 players Id rather keep - Matt Crouch and Touk Miller
    Just to be clear, this is not a bid in these auctions! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. dmandrews

Thanks for the response Jamie, I wasn’t expecting my initial bid to meet reserve.

I will add another young player to my bid for Jack Gunston, another 21 year old defender in Harrison Himmelberg who whilst not settled in the GWS team or even in a set position has shown some potential. Himmelberg played six of the Giants last seven games of 2017, spending time in defense as well as attack. Harrison was one of his team’s best players in the preliminary final loss against Richmond at the MCG – kicking a team-high four goals. Himmelberg is contracted to the Giants until the end of the 2019 season.

The updated Devils bid is PSD pick 14, Harrison Himmelberg and Mitchell Hibberd in exchange for Jack Gunston and PSD pick 61.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chris88

Thanks mate, but I would be looking for something a bit higher than Pick 59.

Probably have to say reserve isn't met.

15. chris88

And it appears the auction for Brad Hill has concluded without reserve being met. Mr Hill returns to the fold.

16. chris88

Bandit, I'll make an offer for Jack Gunston.

I'll bid 21 year old Bulldog Bailey Dale and my PSD pick 21 for Gunston and your PSD pick 29.

Dale averaged about 67 last season, but nearly 75 in the last 7-8 rounds. Is a mid this year, likely to return to being a M/F in coming years if he continues to play where he is playing. Will only get better.

Guy has huge amounts of potential, has cemented his spot in the Dogs line up, is only 21 and just looks the goods with a good pre-season under his belt. Was stoked to get him in the MSD last year but I probably need an extra forward, hence the offer.

Thanks mate.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bandit

Hi Dean,

After some careful consideration, I am going to accept this offer. Himmelberg was on my watch list for this year... and I’m hoping that in 2-3 years he repays my faith.

Reserve met.

Thanks for the bid Chris, I have Cradle Mountain in front with their bid, primarily for Himmelberg but also because I move forward 3 rounds in the draft.

I’ll stick with Dean’s bid

• Like Like x 1
  18. dmandrews

Thanks Jamie

It is great that I have been able to meet reserve for Gunston, still plenty of time for someone to offer a better bid which puts you in a good position.

The 2-3 year outlook is the right one to take with Himmelberg I think. Hopefully he can cement himself in the Giants best 22 in the next year or two. If not I would expect several other AFL clubs would be interested in recruiting HH in 2020 and these clubs could provide him with greater playing opportunities.

19. chris88

Hmm, I might put in a counter offer if that is the case, Bandit!

Given you currently possess PSD picks 7, 13, 25, 29, 31, 49, 61 and 97, I'm sure another draft pick at the high end of the draft would come in handy for you in your stated medium-term building project (2-3 year time period)

I'll offer Bailey Dale with all the stats and abilities listed above and PSD draft pick #3.

That would give you picks 3,7,13,25 and 29 all before pick 30 in the draft. A mighty impressive haul.

In return, I'd ask for Jack Gunston and the first two PSD picks from your suite of choices that you don't intend on using.

I am unsure which picks they might be - I'm guessing perhaps they might be picks 31 and 49.

If it is able to be done under auction rules I'd seek clarification on the first two draft picks Bandit wouldn't be using. If I'm not allowed to seek clarification, my offer above would be the one which stands - Dale and Pick 3 for Gunston and picks 31 and 49.

In reality, you get Pick 3 and Bailey Dale for Jack Gunston and two draft picks you won't use. Or to look at it another way, Dale and Pick #3 for Gunston.

• Like Like x 2
  20. anthak

I can just see @graeme being troubled by this offer!

• Like Like x 2