AFL Evolution League (AFLEL)

Discussion in 'Leagues' started by Jack Richards, Jan 25, 2017.

By Jack Richards on Jan 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM
  1. Jack Richards

Jack Richards New Member

Format: Supercoach Keeper League with a salary cap
    How many teams and players: 16 teams of 44 players (4 rookies and a veteran allowance for over 28 and completed 5 years at your club)
    Where it could be ran from: Google Sheets and here ideally if I can get a section dedicated to the league, if not will use a form of free website.

Salary
    - Each club gets $11.5million to spend on their players which must be paid in full thousands of dollars and this increases based on the salary cap. This will increase each year in line with the AFL.

- All draftees are paid a set wage as per the AFL and based on where they are drafted and their contract is an initial 2 year contract. Rookie players taken in the AEL rookie draft will be on one year contracts.
    Rookie prices:
    Pick 1 to 10 - $200K
    Pick 11 - 32 - $150K
    Pick 33 + - $100K

Naming squads
    - During the season each club posts a squad of 22 players (best 18 on field, 4 on the bench and 4 emergencies in case of a late out).
    - These players need to reflect their real position (e.g true KPD need to be named in the correct spot).
    - Rucks can be play in FF/CHF role as a Key position player.
    - Mids can play in the Forward/Def flanks if they are named there. (Eg Callum Mills could play of the Half Back or named in the mids).
    - Swingman can play both Key Def and Key FWD role only
    - At the end of round, you need to add up your best 18 scores which gives you your final result for the round.

Injuries
    In the case of a Long term injury, you can promote a rookie for the minimum of 8 weeks or more until the injured player is back. This must be done with evidence to show they have been placed on the LTI or the injury will sideline the player for 8 weeks.

Offseason
    First year draftees can have their initial contract extended after the first year by the following percentages of their contract
    - 2 years, 50%
    - 3 years, 100%
    - 4 years, 150%
    - 4 years, 200%

For example, If I drafted Andrew McGrath at pick 1 in our draft (thus making him $200,000 for 2 years) and then wanted to extend his contract to 2019 with a 2 year deal (at 50%) his new contract would be $300,000.
    All other non rookie Player contracts can be extended in their final year. This must be greater than their current contract and as such increase by the following percentage based on their previous contract
    - 1 year - 12%
    - 2 years - 14%
    - 3 years - 16%
    - 4 years - 18%
    - 5 years - 20%

For example:
    Dyson Heppell was signed to a $350,000 contract previously. I want to sign him for 5 years at 20% his new wage would be $420,000 each year for 5 years.

In the case of a veteran, a Player who meets the requirement of being on a team list for 5 years and over the age of 28. Get paid a standard $190,000 contract on a yearly basis. No club can have more than 4 players on the veteran list at one time and these players cannot be traded.

If a coach wants to let go of a player that player is deemed a free agent/uncontracted player and his services can be bid on. Bidding on a player starts when a coach nominates a new contract price for that player.

Bidding Period
    Each coach get 3 bids on any other coaches uncontracted player. The previous coach can put a bid on their own player which is the initial asking price. This must be a realistic salary with a contract between 1-3 years. The bid last for 10 days unless time extension is requested. If no other counter bid is made, the coach keeps the player at the new price.

Once a counter bid is made, the original coach has to beat that price and match the years. The coach who originally owned that player can have as many bids on their own players as possible.

Trade Period
    All players and draft picks and extra salary can be traded regardless of their contract status and combined in any deals. This will occur in line with the bidding process.

Uncontracted players
    If a player is traded AND uncontracted, he must be paid the salary that matches the bidding price and the amount of years stipulated.

Contracted
    Contracted players can be traded at any time of the contract. In the case of negotiating how much of the contract is paid this needs to be agreed on between the two coaches. These needs to be stated in the confirmed trade and both coaches need to post that they agree to it. Not just the coach who is posting the trade.

Contracts can be extended up to 5 years on these players and needs to be greater than the contract they are on by using the percentages as mentioned above in regards to extending contracts of seasoned players.

Trading of salary and draft picks
    - Clubs can trade draft picks in trades or independently for Salary relief. If a coach trades out salary for another coaches draft picks this is deducted from their salary cap from the current season.
    For example, Coach a trades for a 2016 draft pick the salary is deducted from the season going into the draft.

Delisting Contracted players
    Contracted players may be delisted but:
    - Those who walk away from the game wont have their contracts paid out.
    - Those who are first year players and are delisted by their AFL club and not picked up in any AFL draft can be delisted with no further payment.
    - Those who retire due to injury must be paid half of their contract per year that they were contracted.
    - Those who are delisted by or pushed into retirement by their AFL clubs must be paid 75% of their contract each year.
    - Other players must be paid 100% of their contracted salary per year remaining on the contract.

These must be done and lodged before the delistment period. A coach may request a negotiation in payment if they feel they cannot meet these requirments and this must be adhered to.

Going over the Salary Cap
    Any coach who goes over the Salary cap, has to release players and go into the season with less players or try and trade with a coach to gain salary or shed players in a negotiated term.

Mini Trade week
    There is a mini trade week during byes. This is a straight player/s for player/s period. All contracted players will be paid by their previous club for the remainder of the year before the new coach pays their salary the following years remaining.

Draft
    - Draft is done via reverse ladder order. finish last gets pick 1.
    - Coaches get 24hours to make a pick. Miss one pick, the coach is skipped and can make their pick when they return.
    - Miss 2 picks and the coach gets an auto pick based on the best available based on their drafted position.
    - Rookie draft is done after this draft and in the same fashion.

- Each club must make 3 draft picks minimum.

If coaches are interested please place their name below and pm me their gmail address so I can invite them into the sheets . Need 16 coaches by Feb 26th 2017 however if coaches are willing to wait, we can use this year as a set up ready to go for next year.

As the season is not far away we will use the current teams and any teams that are not selected out of the 18, will be used as Free Agents.

I will check back regularly.

Interested Coaches and preferred initial set up:
    1) Jack Richards - Live bid
    2) DamoH - Live bid
    3) Liquid_Sixx - Live bid
    4) Martyg - Live Bid
    5) '51 Bewick
    6) Len - Live Bid
    7) RPritch - Live Bid
    8) bgt2110 - Live Bid
    9) ORRFWizard - Live Bid
    10) tyze1 - Live Bid
    11) Gunners - Live Bid
    12) Holky
    13) St
    14)
    15)
    16)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Option 1 Option 1 x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Leagues' started by Jack Richards, Jan 25, 2017.

1. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      If there 815 players (for example) on 2018 lists wouldn't there need to have more than 704 auctions, as some players will be passed in ?

And perhaps there might be some benefits to commencing auctions once 2018 AFL playing lists are fairly set post the National and Rookie Drafts (say around November 30) and have around 10 auctions each day until early-mid March.

Thoughts?
    2. ORFFWizard
      ORFFWizard
      If we doing 16 clubs with 40 players each that is 640 players.
      We can probably pull 100 of that late draftees from last two seasons draft from auctions without losing any player of interest. If they struggle to get a debut game or two in AFL list they going to struggle even more getting on a fantasy club list,
      That is why I said 700 just to round it off to nice number average of 2 players a day for 350 days. 60 pass ins and if want at the end can have all them and any other players up to the 815 total in one final auction together with what cash we each got left for scraps. However in general I reckon over the long haul 2 a day would be a nice way to do it and no pressure for coaches to be looking on every few hours to see what player is on auction.

If we have a schedule set up we will know well in advance what days the players we interested in are up for auction and make sure we online in that 24 hour period to bid or at very least have someone pass on your bids for you on the day.

Anyway, just an idea at this stage. Could do it various ways.
      Ultimately up to Jack how he thinks it fits best with whole model of keeper game he setting up.
    3. Len
      Len
      If doing it over the long haul, (I'd suggest you'd only want 30 spots max filled prior to the draft and list finalisations for 2018), then I'd suggest doing it alphabetically or something equally random, not by position or value.

Unfinished thought..
      Doing it in some random order would allow for maximum strategies without disclosing hands until quite late in the process.
      Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    4. DamoH
      DamoH
      Random lots would be great.
    5. ORFFWizard
      ORFFWizard
      Yeah, need some kind of randomness to schedule in terms of the good players to be spread out over the long period.
    6. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I read your original message as 2 players per day (separately) up for auction over 24 hours. I assumed these auctions would be concurrent, both ending at say 8pm or 10pm or midnight.

From your response I think my assumption was wrong if people would need to be logging in every few hours for 10 auctions per day. I intended that these would be held at the same time. Which may be too many if you are bidding competitively on more than 2 or 3 of the players. Perhaps 5 players with auction closing times of 8pm and 5 players with auction closing times of 10pm might help in that regard.

Whether you want to draft over 11 months or 3 and a half months depends on a bunch of things but for me it might be preferable to allow teams to be able to de-list up to 4 delisted or retired players picked up prior to late November 2017 without penalty as a special case, rather than enforce the salary cap penalties for these players as applies per the standard rules that would apply once season 1 kicks off.

I also assumed each team would have 44 players including rookies for Year 1, 16*44 = 704 players being purchased by auction, with the draft commencing prior to Year 2 (2019) rather than first up. That may be wrong too. For those proposing a draft prior to season 1 but how would a draft order be determined that would be fair and how would draftees (including players already in the AFL system) be priced in the initial draft if there are say 10-12 rounds instead of a smaller number as expected in subsequent years ?
    7. ORFFWizard
      ORFFWizard
      ha ha. Sorry man, I might be confused too. I thought just live bidding was an alternative way of setting up our initial lists than normal mode of draft. After season one though, expecting drafting and length of contracts to be the flavour of list management.

I confused where 10 auctions per day.
      Was just thinking for example. lets say day one at 9am auction starts with Caleb Daniel and Scott Lycett up for bidding and the following day Adam Tomlinson and Scott Pendlebury were next on schedule. Their bids open at 9am say the next day and also at that time the winning bid on Daniel and Lycett announced and cost involved. Let say someone had winning bid on Caleb Daniel of $350K and none of us put a bid in for Lycett.
      Lycett passed in and re-auctioned at end of whole process with every other player not signed up
      9am everyone knows bids open for Pendles and Tomlinson but because each player open for bids for 24 hours not rushed to log in. Just check in sometime in those 24 hours and put your bid in, then follow up if others bidding more etc etc.
      Then next day 9am there are 2 more players up on schedule and so on and so on for 350 days.

So by March next year we close to full lists for all clubs. At end just a final auction for scraps with all players not signed up, in the group auction.

There are many ways of doing it, that was just the main one that came to mind for me as possible way.
    8. martyg
      martyg
      I like that idea. I say we start with a smaller squad, say 40, then draft the last 4 around this time next year which will allow top up of rookies.
      • Like Like x 1
    9. chelsea01
      chelsea01
      Interested Coaches and preferred initial set up:
      1) Jack Richards - Live bid
      2) DamoH - Live bid
      3) Liquid_Sixx - Live bid
      4) Martyg - Live Bid
      5) '51 Bewick
      6) Len - Live Bid
      7) RPritch - Live Bid
      8) bgt2110 - Live Bid
      9) ORRFWizard - Live Bid
      10) tyze1 - Live Bid
      11)
      12)
      13)
      14)
      15)
      16)
      No Live Bid for me :(
    10. martyg
      martyg
      We could probably run it with less coaches if need be. Shame to dump it because we cannot get enough.
    11. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      I would want to run with a minimum of 14 with an aim to bring it up to 16 by the start of the following season as a worst case scenario.

Invite your mates.
    12. gummers
      gummers
      Sounds good, would love to be part of the trial
      (late start after a cricket laden off season for me!)
    13. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      Excellent Gunners. Will put you down
    14. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      Need 5 more coaches (3 more to start at 14 with an aim to bring 2 more in by 2018 as expansion)
    15. RPritch
      RPritch
      How would the expansion work? Sounds a bit dodgy to me
    16. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      Not really we get the same cap and list size but when we get the 2 other clubs they can draft from the FA list
    17. Len
      Len
      The leftovers of 14 clubs probably not a massive incentive.
    18. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      normally the expansion draft concept works on the principle of spreading the talent evenly between the existing and new teams so they should end up middle of the pack

one example i have seen works as follows
      - the 14 existing teams each protect 7 players
      - the 2 expansion sides then draft 28 unprotected players in a 2 team, 14 round snake draft with 2 players being drafted from each existing side
      - the 14 teams then protect a further 14 players (21 of their best 23)
      - the 2 expansion sides draft a further 28 unprotected players in a 2 team, 14 round snake draft with 2 players being drafted from each existing side
      - the 14 teams then protect a further 14 players (35 of their best 39)
      - the 2 expansion sides then draft a further 14 (or 28) unprotected players in a 2 team, 7 (or 14) round snake draft to take their player numbers to either 35 or 42 players
      - the remaining 3 (or 4) undrafted players then are reclaimed by their original club
      if the above example works as it should the expansion teams start off a fraction light in the absolute gun category but players 8 to 14 should be better than other teams (on average) but then there is a big dropoff to their 2nd bunch of players who are fringe best 22 for other teams but their 22nd-28th players should again be better than the existing teams

the number of players drafted and protected can be varied as needed, the risk is that one of the 2 expansion teams drafts well and the other team drafts poorly and this creates a superpower

of course in a salary cap based league you could just give the expansion teams priority access to free agents and/or the draft, a larger salary cap etc etc as needed to give them a reasonable of getting into the top half of the comp by their 2nd year
      • Like Like x 2
    19. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      I would be hapoy for that
    20. HOLKY
      HOLKY
      I'll give this a go.
      • Like Like x 1