Alex Sexton worth the punt?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Senator96, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

What are peoples thoughts on sexton from the suns? Id really like to do a downgrade trade this week to get a bit of cash for the byes and darley doesnt fit for me which leaves sexton as the best option plus he has the added bonus of the mid/fwd mpp and is named on the wing this week. I havent seen him play at all and havent heard much so would love to hear other thoughts on him.

2. Drifter74

Drifter74 New Member

Ditto for me Senator.

Leaning towards Sexton over Darley, as he becomes a last choice (have the usuals Dickson, OldMac, Treloar, Zorko etc) M8/F9 where as Darley is potentially a D7, as I would then need to start either him, Spurr or which one I kept out of Morris/Ellis which isn't/wont work.

The fact he in the starting 18 and not even on their extended bench is I guess something....

One theory is to think of is to wait a week, as even an optimistic 60ish against Collingwood wont see him rise to much

3. SC_Dave

SC_Dave Member

I'm trading him in mainly for balance during the byes.

Watched the Port v GC game last w/e, but can't say I noticed too much of him, was more focused on Ablett as my captain.

Read during the week a story on Gold Coast (Herald Sun or AFL.com.au) where Guy McKenna was saying he wants to settle the side and get some chemistry happening in the playing group, saying Jarred Brennan won't be back for a while cause he butchers the ball coming out of defence, and basically the side will be unchanged for awhile.

So, when I saw Sexton named on the wing I can now trade him in being 85% confident he will play through the byes and beyond.

From his bio on the GC site

One of the most promising young players in the country, Alex Sexton was pre-listed with the GC SUNS prior to the 2011 AFL Draft.

A member of the AFL/AIS Academy, Sexton was a supplementary list player at Redland and a GC SUNS reserves top-up player in 2011 and was the first player nominated for the NAB NEAFL Rising Star Award from the SUNS camp.

The talented youngster toured Europe with the AIS/AFL Academy squad earlier this year.

Sexton, won the Alan McLean Medal as the division two Best & Fairest and the Queensland MVP at the 2010 NAB Australian U16 Championships and in 2011 was a Queensland Under 18 representative.

GC SUNS List Manager, Scott Clayton said Sexton had performed extremely well in both the Under 16 and 18 championships in recent years as well as excelling during his time with the SUNS.

Draft history: 2011 NAB AFL Draft local talent access selection (Gold Coast) No. 88 overall.

4. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Given that McKenna has come out and said he wants to settle the side for a few weeks, not chop and change, that would make Andrew MacQualter an option too, wouldn't it?

He's $240K but is averaging 90 a game and playing lots of time through the midfield.

One wonders whether he's worth considering as a semi trade down for a guy like Porps ...

5. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

thanks for that info fellas, i reckon based on that I will roll the dice and bring him into the team. Apart from the byes he shouldnt even have to play in the 22 just make a bit of cash so hopefully he'll get plenty of opportunity at the suns given how disappointing they've been this year.