Ben Jacobs set to debut

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Bearfly, May 13, 2011.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from don on May 17, 2011, 14:51
    Did anyone see how Jacobs went on the weekend?</blockquote>

Wasn't the best debut ever, had a few clangers & DE was low, but took a few nice marks & had a couple of score involvements.

The clangers & low DE could be attributed to nerves - a couple of kicks went straight to Swans players, but by watching the game again I could see that he was kicking to an area where a team-mate appeared to be leading towards but didn't work hard enough to get into the right space!!!

What did encourage me was the fact the lad wasn't scared to undertake the kick-in role after Swans behinds - confidence in his own ability will ensure he has a successful career (pity some of Port's senior players lack the same confidence)!!!

Word from Alberton is that they would eventually like to give him time in the mid-field rather than anchor him down on the HBF

2. whips

whips New Member

I saw a fair bit of the game. For mine, you want to see a kid play with confidence and to look like he belongs.
    He did.
    Will watch him again next week but he'll almost certainly come into my team (ATM).

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

great insights guys, thanks heaps!

4. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@Bear

Some big wraps on Aaron Young from last weekend. One to watch and might just be ahead of Butcher in the pecking.

5. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on May 18, 2011, 16:35
    @Bear

Some big wraps on Aaron Young from last weekend. One to watch and might just be ahead of Butcher in the pecking.</blockquote>

By all reports Young has been showing strong improvement in the ressies for North - had a few games where he's kicked a few goals - and had a strong training run this week where he even took a big mark.

Has a real good chance to push for selection with the consistency he's been showing the past few weeks, and being a 188cm mid-size forward, could really start to put some pressure on Gray & Ebert.

I still think Butcher will be given a try sometime during the 2nd half of the season - plus don't forget Ben Newton as well - has had 2 runs in West's ressies since recovering from the ankle injury which was described as being exactly the same as what cut Tredrea down last year!!!

With Phillips also showing a little bit against the Swans, and these 3 lads starting to hit some form, pressure will start to mount on under-performing forwards!!!