Best Buys: Monty

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jun 24, 2015.

By Iain on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

The byes have been especially brutal this year, well it seems that way anyway, so I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of us when I say thank god they're almost over. The Best Buys curse seems to be doing it's thing, but really there isn't much I can do about that so we just have to push on and hope for the best.

The Best Buy this week is Joey Montagna, he's been putting up great numbers all season and is a huge POD with barely anyone backing him in so far. The Saints may have been struggling to rack up the wins, but Montagna certainly hasn't struggled so far in racking up the points himself. The only real question is whether or not to bite the bullet and grab Joey now, or to wait a few more weeks and see if Gaz can get back to form.

The Best Buys are a bit short this week, primarily because the majority of decent options are all set to lose 10-20 grand over the next couple of rounds, so hopefully there's a couple a players you haven't yet considered there.

Round 11: ADE, RIC, WBD, BL, CAR, HAW

Round 12: GCS, StK, SYD, COL, ESS, FRE

Round 13: NM, GWS, PTA, WCE, GEE, MEL

<div>

DEFENSE
    ROOKIES

Hugh Beasley (BRI) DEF 102.4k 46 +33k

Beasley is on the bubble at the right time, after he playing his second game last week and averaging 46 he will most likely increase in value by around 33 grand after his next match. Cheaply priced at just over 100 grand he could be the defensive downgrade most sides have looking for.

Joel Hamling (WBD) DEF 170.8k 60 +24k
    Hamling isn't on the bubble after playing his third game on the weekend, but at 170 grand is still priced well enough to include. An average of 60 will see his price go up by around 24 grand next week, as long as he stays on the field.

MID-PRICERS

Bachar Houli (RIC) DEF 486.2k 103 8.5%

Houli continues to be one of the leading defenders this season in SC, without quite cementing a spot in our upgrade plans. Now averaging 103 and sitting in 8.5% of teams he has some good POD value, but the Tigers will need to put on another win-streak to really get him up there.

Cale Hooker (ESS) DEF 429.2k 93 7.6%
    Hooker makes it in this week, but really it's because so many options are set to lose significant value in the coming weeks. Averaging 93 and costing 430 grand he is decent value, but really needs to step up another level to be considered a top defender.

PREMIUMS

Luke Hodge (HAW) D/M 556.6k 110 23.8%

Hodge has been excellent this season, barring his suspension, and after a 122 in his last game is now sitting on a healthy 110 average. Costing 556 grand he is priced appropriately for his numbers and will likely see a few more coaches pick him up.

Rory Laird (ADE) DEF 517k 97 4.8%
    Laird has been in good form this season, stepping it up to excellent in the absence of Jaensch and Smith's injury woes. Now priced at a bit under 520 grand he is pricey for his average of 97, but has averaged 125 from the last 3 games. Sitting in just under 5% of teams he is a good POD, and could well be a starter for many coaches next year.

MIDFIELD
    ROOKIES

Elliott Kavanagh (ESS) MID 145.1k 63 +45k
    Kavanagh has finally made it to the bubble, and with an average of 63 is set to make some good coin after his next game. A 45 grand price-rise will see him nearing the 200 grand mark but if he keeps getting games and scoring like that he'll probably be worth it even then.

MID-PRICERS

Lachie Neale (FRE) MID 533.2k 111 12%

Neale has been a revelation for the Dockers this year, going from unheralded to star in just half a season. Averaging 111 and costing 533 grand he is good value at current price and is still sitting in only 12% of sides. Opposition teams still aren't putting much effort into shutting him down, and if that continues he could well average 115+ by year's end.

Dyson Heppell (ESS) MID 534.8k 109 8.9%

Heppell has also stood up this season, which is a good thing for the Dons as Watson has been underperforming. Now seemingly the number one man in the Essendon midfield Hep is producing good numbers with an average of 109 and a price of 535 grand. Still only in 9% of teams Heppell also has decent POD value.

Scott Thompson (ADE) MID 498.8k 108 3.3%

Scotty T has been excellent this season, turning back the clock to average 108. With a selection rate of just 3.3% he is a big POD, and is priced very well at under 500 grand. Thommo may see a decline in his scoring with Sloane back in the side, but if not he is an absolute bargain.

Rory Sloane (ADE) MID 483.5k 104 9.3%
    Speaking of the Sloane Ranger, he bounced back on the weekend with a very nice 117 to show that his injury issues are now behind him. Averaging 104 for the season and priced at 483 grand he is good value at the moment, and if he can get back to his early season form should be considered by all teams with a midfield spot still free.

PREMIUMS

Leigh Montagna (StK) MID 574.9k 119 1.7%

Joey has been in amazing form this year, averaging 119 on the back of a 125 point game in his last outing. His price is still low for his numbers, at only 575 grand, and he has massive POD value sitting in under 2% of sides. The Best Buy curse has been in full effect this year, but hopefully Monty can buck the trend for us.

Scott Pendlebury (COL) MID 558.7k 114 +4k 38%
    Pendles hasn't really been dependlebury this year, but is starting to get there once again after some consistent scores. Now averaging 114 for the year and priced at 560 grand he is good value, but already in a fair few teams at 38% selection. The Pies are looking to challenge for a finals spot well ahead of schedule, and if Pendles can get back to his best they are a real chance at making the 8.

REGULARS

Nathan Fyfe (FRE) MID 688.2k 134 63.8%

RUCK
    <strong style='font-size: 14px;]ROOKIES[/b]
    <strong style='font-size: 14px;]

[/b]
    Peter Wright (GCS) R/F 187.3k 32 -7k

<div>Wright hasn't performed too badly for a first year ruck/forward, but his price of almost 190 grand means his average of 32 from his first 2 games isn't up to par. A projected loss of around 7 grand means that his Supercoach prospects aren't great so far, but he is a R/F and may continue to get games so he might still be worth getting for some teams who want more bench coverage.

PREMIUMS

Sam Jacobs (ADE) RUC 519k 100 12.3%
    Sauce has been good this season, but not quite to the level most of his 12% of coaches were hoping. An average of 100 flat for a price of 519 grand is a bit on the high side, but given the other options this week it's as good as you'll get. The Crows are also challenging for a finals berth this year, and really need Jacobs to fire to get them there.

FORWARD
    ROOKIES

Toby McLean (WBD) FWD 117.3k 43 +26k
    McLean has gone under the radar with the glut of Bulldogs rookies coming into the team in recent weeks, but after a 67 in his last game to bring him on the bubble people are starting to take more notice. Costing under 120 grand and likely to increase in price by about 25 grand after his next game, the main concern is how many rookies can the Bulldogs keep playing?

Orazio Fantasia (ESS) FWD 168.4k 60 +35k

<div>A good pick-up from jp has included Orazio this week, who is on the bubble with an average of 60. If he keeps getting games then this is a good sign for the young forward, who will likely increase in value by around 35 grand next week. Costing almost 170 grand he is a bit pricey for a rookie, but has the best job security of the two on the bubble up forward this week.

MID-PRICERS

Marcus Bontempelli (WBD) M/F 417.3k 96 40.3%
    The Bont returned with a decent score on the weekend, but still has some work to do to get back to his early season heroics. Now averaging 96 for a price tag of around 420 grand is good value, but he's already in over 40% of teams so he doesn't have any real POD value to speak of. If he can stay on the park and go back to his earlier role then expect the points to flowing once again.

PREMIUMS

Tom Mitchell (SYD) M/F 520.4k 111 30.7%

Mitchell has been good but not great so far this season, but with his history of getting games we'll take good any day of the week from him. Now in just over 30% of sides and averaging 111 he is one of the best forwards going around, and should remain one if he stays on the park. Costing 520 grand and facing a price rise of around 15 grand after his next game means he is on the cheap side, but probably not for much longer.

Luke Dahlhaus (WBD) FWD 533.5k 105 8.4%

Dahl has been excellent this year, pushing his average to 105 for the first time and showing the advantages of a midfield-style small forward. Clearly one of the Dogs best he is having a break-out season, and is every chance to keep the big scores coming. Costing 533 grand he is decent value at the moment, but is facing a price drop of 13 grand after his next game.

Lance Franklin (SYD) FWD 527.2k 98 32.6%
    Buddy has been a bit quiet to start the season this year, but that is starting to turn around now. Averaging 98is a solid effort so far, but his almost 33% of coaches would be expecting more. Luckily for them, he's averaging 127 over his last 3 games. A price of almost 530 grand is definitely expensive for a bloke averaging under 100, but with his potential to go large and the Swans focussed on September Buddy should keep on with his recent form and bring his average back up to the 105 region.

REGULARS

Dustin Martin (RIC) M/F 596.3k 112 45%

Dane Swan (COL) M/F 500.8k 101 56.9%

WAITING LIST

Gary Ablett (GCS) MID 734.6k 103 -58k

Ivan Maric (RIC) RUC 537.5k 100 -32k

Jordan Lewis (HAW) MID485.2k 98 -32k

Pearce Hanley (BRI) MID 557.7k 89 -30k

Robbie Gray (PTA) M/F 546.5k 110 -26k

David Armitage (StK) MID 571.9k 113 -22k

Thanks for joining us once again for the Best Buys, hopefully this last bye round isn't too brutal and good luck to all. As always feel free to join in on the polls and trade discussions below.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jun 24, 2015.

1. bunza;-)
      bunza;-)
      Are there many out there looking to bring in Smith this week? Surely he has hit rock bottom. Pretty sure McIntosh will be making way for him this week.
    2. tmq
      tmq
      No talk of Max Gawn this week? He single handedly won a match for me last week... and a DPP.

Anyway, my team is in need of some rejuvenation, but I have 17 trades left. thinking of doing this:

Out: CEY, Lumumba, Rockliff In: Kavanagh, Hodge, Sloane

Seems pretty straightforward, just don't know anything about Kavanaghs JS.

TU: Go for it, straightforward move
      TD: Look for other options
    3. Tommy18
      Tommy18
      Straight swap of McIntosh to Smith means it's a done deal for my team.
    4. NedFlanders
      NedFlanders
      I don't know how good your cover is for this week's byes, but Steele would need to be worth considering as a M/F downgrade
    5. NedFlanders
      NedFlanders
      Season defining trades this week! With Lewis, Selwood and Sloane already in midfield, I need to be careful with my final upgrade.

I think Dumont is cooked, so am tossing up between:

TU: Dumont -> Mundy
      TD: Dumont -> Mitchell

Or, one for the comments, keep Dumont, cash in on Krakouer and get a better upgrade.

Would appreciate the thoughts of the masses!

6. willy
      willy
      13 trades left, 19 definite players outside Chance of 20/21 (McKenzie and Lever the possibles). No need to trade to make the 18 but worried about the CEY output and the b/e that is almost 100. Have 284k and can move him to Hannerbery leave me 12 trades and 77k with a look into moving in on steel in the next week or 2

TU - Get Hannerbery finish off your Mids

TD - Wait conserve trades 13 is low

7. _turnitups_
      _turnitups_
      TU: Laird
      TD: Houli
    8. Tommy18
      Tommy18
      So it seems in the coming weeks we might have a few good rookie downgrades coming through (outside those mentioned above): Edwards (played 1 game), Steele (1 and bye this week), Colquhoun (2 and the bye), Glenn (2 and fit/nearly fit), and Lambert (1). Personally I see the JS of this cohort as higher than anything on offer this week. Are there any other prospects I'm missing?
    9. danny174
      danny174
      Deciding whether to trade Sloane in for Swallow. My current mids are:
      Fyfe, Neale, Steven. Watson, Thompson, Shiel, Swallow and Cripps
      with Steele, McKenzie and Anderson on the bench
      I have $210k and will probably bring in Edwards and (possibly) Lambert
      Only concerned about my cash league and currently 1 game clear on top

TU: Bring in Sloane for Swallow
      TD: Save the trade and keep Swallow
    10. danny174
      danny174
      Oh, I have 12 trades.
    11. Senator96
      Senator96
      Tmq are you going to punt rockliff after holding all this time? He's supposed to be back next week
    12. jp
      jp
      rocky will be back soon, might be worth keeping him if you've hung on this long
    13. Mano11
      Mano11
      There's plenty of rookie options this week but job security concerns me. What are your thoughts on the following?

McLean, T (WBD) - Fwd
      Edwards, S (ESS) - Def
      Kavanagh, E (ESS) - Mid
      Beasley, H (BRL) - Def
    14. turbo8
      turbo8
      Gawn has bye but I'm looking at bringing him in next week. R/F MPP means he can also provide ruck cover for me as have McLaren R/F on the ruck pine. He's my last F upgrade though so will he be better long term value than Buddy or another premo??
    15. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Unsure really, I think the 2 bombers could go ok if they get a run
    16. tmq
      tmq
      Thanks guys, will give it more thought. Teams not looking great for this bye, so I might just bite the bullet, keep rocky, take the loss. CEY and Lumumba have to go some time, so might move one or two of them on.
    17. _turnitups_
      _turnitups_
      Need to go early on an MPP Rookie. Want the player with the best JS.

TU: Lambert
      TD: Steele
    18. traviso
      traviso
      Think i'm going to do the same. edwards, neal bullen, lambert and steele will all be bubbling next week.

then there are any upgrades you might want to do.

would love to pick up dangerfield for miller this week however will leave me with only 6K in the bank

should i go for it? thumbs up? or thumbs down pick hanneberry or sloane instead. potentially my last midfield spot (apart from ablett)
    19. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      i expect both to have decent js

the tiges have been playing ellis and menadue types while lambert has been out injured, and i expect lambert to get a game ahead of them

steele has really earned his spot given GWS had such a good start and his 80 last game gives me confidence he can cement it

if lambert avoids the vest tomorrow night then i am happy to jump onboard and get steele on the bubble in rd15

20. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      go for danger

while he should be cheaper in a week or 2 he is in great form and provides a handy captain vc/capt option