Best Buys - Round 1

Discussion in 'Blog' started by port_leschenault, Mar 28, 2018.

By port_leschenault on Mar 28, 2018 at 2:38 AM
  1. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

OK, so this may not be a regular thing (so chip in in future if you want) but for now I'll get the ball rolling with Best Buys this week and start the discussion for the upcoming round!

~

Player of the Week: The Hold (N/R, Free!)

That's right the best player to bring in this week is no one at all. It's week one people, this isn't AFL Fantasy, cool your jets! Your underperforming premiums? You picked them for a reason, back them in. A rookie you don't have went nuts? They could score 20 next week and be out the door. Chill, assess your team, make any correction trades next week before price rises. It's never a good idea to waste too many trades on players early, and losing trades early on when you will need them by the end covering injuries is asking for trouble. You will just have to ride the rollercoaster with players and hope they do well soon. Good luck

~

Onto forced trades you may have to make this week if you have one of the two guys below and some suggestions.

Paddy Ryder $566,500 - out for anywhere between 3 to 6 weeks. Good news for his 22k owners, you can pretty much afford any replacement you wish as the only guy more expensive than him is injured too.

Max Gawn ($503,700 - 139)
    What do you mean you started without him? Only overly emotional Melbourne fans wouldn't want him now.
    Nic Naitanui ($465,900 - 113)
    Because why not swap an injured ruck for an oft-injured one making a comeback and tonning up after a season out? What could go wrong.
    Todd Goldstein ($521,400 - 111)
    Looked good for a monster score most of the match but clearly ran out of legs whilst swimming in Queensland. If Scott sticks to the one-player ruck (it's a big if) going to be a good choice this season for those backing him.
    Stef Martin ($540,000 105)
    See NicNat (but without being out for a season) and Goldie (the one-player ruck stuff).
    Jarrod Witts ($518,300 131)
    Playing for the high one, Dancing with the devil, Going with the flow, It's all a game to me. ♠

If you have Matthew Kreuzer - hold, looks like one week missed at most.

~

Tom Liberatore ($434,600) - Not looking good for Tom, not looking good for the 16k coaches with him in their side. Some options depending on budget.

The Sideways
    Stephen Coniglio ($452,400 - 129)
    Probably should have chosen him as your super-cheap premium in the first place. Very good score for the 13th most popular pure-mid.

The Upgrade
    Patrick Cripps ($537,300 - 130)
    Showed the class we expected and hoped for after a full pre-season. Join the bandwagon.
    Luke Parker ($546,000 - 149)
    Looks to be the Swans top midfielder this season. Won't come up against a midfield as weak as West Coast's every week though.

The Downgrade
    Jaeger O'Meara ($315,800 - 82)
    Looked good and most importantly: healthy! ; picking up Titchell's leftovers. Hope for more efficiency as the rust is shaken off but should keep getting plenty of it as the Hawks #2.

Zach Merrett ($600,600) Hold but be concerned, multiple concussions? Not good.

~

Rookie Watch - just numbers, next week is the week to focus on them.
    Riley Bonner ($257,300) 119
    Tim Kelly ($117,300) 118
    Nick Holman ($102,400) 96
    Jeremy Finlayson ($123,900) 87
    Zach Guthrie ($194,400) 86
    Tom Doedee ($123,900) 86
    Timothy English ($134,700) 83

Let's hear your thoughts, suggestions, comments and questions below! :)

• Like Like x 9

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by port_leschenault, Mar 28, 2018.

• Tags:
    1. ike2112_01
      ike2112_01
      I did pretty well round 1, but am really struggling to decide on Mason Cox.
      I put him in the forward line, and English as bench ruck. I kept $200k in the bank for corrections, and don't need any as nailed most rookies.

I could therefore just swap Cox and English around and hold and see if he scores better in week 3, but that would mean other players would rise in meantime. Or I could trade him for Westhoff right now (or Sicily / Cameron / Curnow) - can afford anyone 500k and under (and already have Buddy, Boak, Petracca, Gresham).
    2. stowie
      stowie
      @Bearfly who is gonna ruck this for Port? I know Howard has done it in the past but can't see them moving him after a breaking the spoils record.
      Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    3. gavnal
      gavnal
      Nice work PL. Great advice and especially loved the Motorhead reference.
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Iain
      Iain
      Good work PL.

@Rudders Rebels Go with what you think first and foremost mate, but personally I wouldn't be swapping Kreuz to Nicnat as a way to reduce risk. Kreuz was certainly pretty sore last week, but Nicnat also just missed a year and only played 50% gametime, so I wouldn't think he was considerably less risky than Kreuz right now.
      • Like Like x 4
    5. traviso
      traviso
      Is it only me that holds a huge fear of nic nat breaking down? he's never been that consistent anyway? Martin generally more reliable?
    6. traviso
      traviso
      i messed up my first round defence and still had coffield in the team. also for some unknown reason i thought Brandon Ellis was going to be awesome this year. Looks like he was playing more defensively though and put out a big fat 51.

I'm thinking of getting on the Bonner bandwagon for Coffield and trading Ellis down to McGrath?
      Then next week can jump English and Guthrie if they still hot as corrections.
      Thumbs up, do it.
      Thumbs down, settle down and wait champ.
      • Dislike Dislike x 4
    7. walesy
      walesy
      So, I'm a couple of K away from Libba > Cripps.

So, I'm chasing points.

Hibberd > Simpson
      Libba > Cripps.

Probably a smarter downgrade, but I'm pretty happy with my entire list- and really want to get Cripps in for Libba.
      • Like Like x 1
    8. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Maybe trade to Bonner, but don't trade away Ellis after 1 round!

You've changed, chief. I thought you were an expert. :p

Poor Hibberd didn't even have that bad of a game (it just wasn't good) and people are jumping ship.
    9. The_Punt
      The_Punt
      Seriously considering doing nothing for the only time in living memory as the only non starter I have on the bench is Coffiield. I have just enough $ to swap him for Guthrie, but given Cofff's been on the extended bench for the first two rounds he may not be far off and I can save a trade. Any thoughts?
    10. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      What did you do this time last year? We've only had one round of data, it's very hard to read too much into it whereas after Rd2, we have 100% (fact!) more data to base our decisions on. Hibberd isn't a bad player. Watch his game this week and see if you can pin day any reason why his scoring is trending down, or if last week was just an anomaly.

Now I can't remember this exactly but I must've had a fair bit of cash in hand, but my final roster move when teams were announced last Thursday was to downgrade Bonner to Murphy in defence, upgrade to Coniglio in midfield and with money left over move up to Ryder in rucks from Grundy (who was originally NicNat for most pre-season) but was $900 short of going Cameron -> English.

So I'm kinda kicking myself a lot there because even though getting Coniglio was right call, I could have had a huge score this round and team looking great. Now I'm having to burn a trade and the temptation to bring in Bonner this week is huge.

The good thing about writing this article is it's going to help my itchy fingers because after advocating for holding so much, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't listen to own advice now. :p

If you're happy with your team, then yeah don't do anything. Coff is expensive but whilst not playing you can use him as your loophole.
      • Like Like x 2
    11. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I would say keep Coffield for now, a dpp FD isn't a bad thing to have and you would think he plays pre byes in the worst case scenario.

The main exception would be if a rookie you don't have smashes out a 130 point effort this week and you have to try to get them into your side to pick up their early season cash generation. Same goes for the 4-6 rookies debuting this week who might smash out a massive score in Round 3.
      • Like Like x 2
    12. anthak
      anthak
      I made 1 trade in the first round last year, but only because I had Joel Smith from Melbourne who picked up a LTI in round 1.
      I wish I recorded my trades somewhere because I can’t remember who I brought in
    13. anthak
      anthak
      Matt Crouch has duly stepped to the plate :( o_O:rolleyes:
    14. Len
      Len
      Ryder to NicNat, that's it for me so far, hopefully it stays that way
    15. ELeviathan
      ELeviathan
      I also had the same B. Ellis dilemma (stuff up). I bit the bullet and traded him out for Simpson.
      • Like Like x 2
    16. Bearfly
      Bearfly
      After hoping for a Billy Frampton debut this week (what better time to do it than against Sinclair), I am extremely disappointed because now I think he'll end up requesting a trade at end of season for more opportunities :(
      Looks like Port are planning on going down the route of using Mr FixIt Hoff as the primary ruck with big Charlie giving him a chop out - I for one don't like this approach because it isn't sustainable for the month to six weeks that Paddy is out, plus it completely ruins the structure Port have worked all pre-season on with a fwd line of Charlie, Watts and Marshall as a triple threat, with Hoff playing off the wing as a link up player that allows him to drift down back when needed.
      Not expecting to see Dougal in the ruck as he has become an integral member of the back 7 we are working with this season.
      Do not be surprised when you see Ollie contesting some ruck contests either!!!
    17. anthak
      anthak
      I was so close to pulling the trigger on this. I had decided not to, but then with MCrouch going down, I know one of my trades next week will be used on him, so I got back onto thinking I should do these 2 trades this week whilst I can. I got out the spreadsheet and tested a few scenarios of what may be available next week if I do it now, but in the end I decided to stick fat for one more week and see how it all goes as is.
      I'll have even more options available to me next week because of MCrouch's price and Hibberd/Armitage could still easily end up good selections. We'll wait and see
      • Like Like x 1
    18. anthak
      anthak
      I’d hoped for more from armitage. I know he’s cheap but 2 scores in the 70s probably isn’t going to cut it
    19. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Second-highest disposal getter on a team that got thrashed.
      • Like Like x 1
    20. anthak
      anthak
      Yeah he has potential. Both weeks he’s started the game really well and then dropped off. And even with another score in the 70s next week, he’ll still increase in value cause he’s so cheap to start with.
      But looks like I was delusional to think he’d reach $500k before his bye! :eek:
      Last edited: Mar 30, 2018