Best Buys - Round 3

Discussion in 'Blog' started by port_leschenault, Apr 11, 2018.

By port_leschenault on Apr 11, 2018 at 3:04 PM
  1. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Not much this week to talk about so there's not going to be a normal list format yet. The key points of discussion are what to do with Liam Ryan, who is unfortunately out for 10-12 weeks and Gary Ablett.

Gary Ablett
    Rather straightforward. At $620,700 he can be turned into pretty much any premium you can afford. So if you don't have any of the top guys, grab them, maybe hop onto the Cogs-train too, otherwise it's who you feel is best.

Which brings me to a point of discussion that's a good excuse for filler. Right now Jackson Macrae is getting a lot of love since he currently sits as the second best player after the freaky Mitchell. After only being in just under 3k teams, he's going to be in a lot more by trade deadline. Is he worth it? This is where diving back into the stats is a good idea.

Last year, there were quite a lot of players who started with a 130+ average, here they are listed and with their final overall average:
    Dustin Martin
    3Rd Ave: 144
    2017 Ave: 119 (2nd best)
    Marc Murphy
    3Rd Ave: 142
    2017 Ave: 108 (16th)
    Patrick Dangerfield
    3Rd Ave: 139
    2017 Ave: 136 (1st)
    Marcus Bontempelli
    3Rd Ave: 131
    2017 Ave: 105 (20th)
    Oliver Wines
    3Rd Ave: 131
    2017 Ave: 99 (39th)
    Rory Sloane
    3Rd Ave: 130
    2017 Ave: 110 (10th)
    Scott Pendlebury
    3Rd Ave: 130
    2017 Ave: 107 (19th)

Most of these players are very good but what this shows is that if you brought in anyone who's not in that elite bracket (Dusty/Danger) you got them after they had their best scoring period for the season (Sloane is kinda anomaly, remember he went insane for 5 rounds then really dropped off badly til end of season). You would have been better trying to bring in Mitchell, Kelly, Crouch, Neale or Oliver. Making that call though, that is the hard challenge.

Scoring peaks are very hard to maintain. Right now I'd say by end of season Titchell is in line for a 130+ season, Dusty 120+, Danger anywhere and Fyfe to be the closest to 120 of the rest who will all mill around that 110 mark. That is what you need to consider first when wanting to bring in these players on big streak, at all price levels.

So this to me says that the most likely outcome with the highest probability is that Jackson Macrae by the end of the season will dip to an average well below 120 and maybe 110. Bringing him in is then gambling against history. I don't see any consistency at the Bulldogs this year with the team in a bit of a flux and with a lot of players capable of going big, which week to week will skew things.

Gibbs v Sloane is another interesting head to head. Is it likely that Sloane, will keep scoring at just over 100? Or that Gibbs will be a 120 player? Gibbs has never had a season above 108, whereas Sloane has had 2 seasons above 110. That's why he's the number one tag target. If Gibbs starts becoming more influential, coaches may change their focus which will be gold for Sloane, and we know he can score well.

This isn't me telling you who to pick or that one will definitely do better than the other, but it is an example of the type of questions needing to be asked when you want to arrive at a decision yourself.

Liam Ryan

The news from his injury is not good and it's likely he is out for a long time rather than a few rounds. If you have both him and ZGL and wondering what to do the news now makes that decision for you: trade out Ryan. If you have a sizeable nest egg available because of restructuring last week than you should upgrade him to a premium. Someone you like and can afford in the top 20 who's not a key forward [named Buddy] or small forward would be my suggestion. Rookies listed in the section below.

Rookies On The Bubble
    Ed Richards WBD Def $135,300 BE -50
    Jack Henry GEE Fwd $123,900 BE -46
    Esava Ratugolea GEE Fwd $123,900 BE -32
    Mitch Crowden FRE M/F $117,300 BE -31
    Adam Cerra FRE MID $184,800 BE -4
    Callum Brown COL M/F $224,300 BE -2
    Willie Rioli WCE FWD $123,900 BE 3
    Cameron Polson CAR M/F $130,800 BE 12

Watchlist
    Nicholas Coffield STK M/D $171,300 66
    Jack Higgins RIC M/F $130,800 63
    Rowan Marshall STK FWD $219,400 79
    Brandon White STK DEF $225,800 43
    Nathan Wright STK FWD $183,300 32

There really shouldn't be too much to do on your other lines, if you need a defender then bring in Richards but it's unlikely you'd have anyone to trade out. If you held Naughton last week you should still hold him now, his job security is fine for foreseeable future and could put together a string of 70+ scores which will make you bank.

Assuming mids can be covered by a DPP let's then focus on forward line and Ryan. There's plenty of options this week out of those that haven't risen in price yet but no obvious standout. The most attractive option is Jack Higgins, massively hyped pre-season but disappointingly playing far too early for us than we would like for downgrade targets. Still, he should get plenty of games this season and looks to have the ability to post big scores if given the chance. Whether you bring him in this week or next before his price rise is up to you.

For the others, I am wary of the Geelong players because their team selections appear so up in the air with all their young players and injuries. Henry appears to be the more SC friendly option playing down back with Taylor and Henderson out, but he had his own concerns with concussion and I'm not confident to call him a certainty. Despite having a million rucks, Ratugolea was their main R/F last week. I can't see that continuing but if it does, he could score great for a rookie. Also under his own injury cloud.

Willie Rioli should see an uptick in role now with Ryan out. He doesn't seem to be a big scorer but a few goals and he should have a big-scoring game. Just don't expect it often but I think for now he's the guy with the best job security. Crowden is an attractive option but I'm wary of his own job security in a transient Ross side and scoring output isn't particularly high if 70-odd is his peak.

Still they are all options so best to make your own calls. My trade in preferences would be:
    1. Higgins (can choose to hold off on this until next week)
    2. Rioli (his JS now should be better with Ryan out)
    3. Crowden (unknown how long he will spend in team but could be better scoring than Rioli)
    4. Geelong forward (who isn't dropped, Henry > Ratman)

For next week, this may not be a common opinion but I'm not that big on Coffield that he is a must have downgrade target. Starting in your side pre-season is another thing but bringing a $180k rookie early is another. Unlike Higgins, he doesn't quite have the same junior form and he's nearly $50k cheaper. Not a must have.

Keep a close eye on Rowan Marshall. May be awkwardly priced for us but St.Kilda used him as their sole ruckman after Longer was injured. Could keep his spot and be a potential option if people need a cheap playing ruck (*IF*).

• Like Like x 7

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by port_leschenault, Apr 11, 2018.

• Tags:
    1. Len
      Len
      Just a week I'm reasonably sure mate
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Fitzy
      Fitzy
      Hey lads, looking into Paul Seedsman which seems crazy... has scores of 76, 99 and 110. With 24, 26 and 28 touches in those respectively. Seems he's taken over Brodie Smiths role.... 347k, seems he's a chance to be a top 8 DEF, would be getting him in for Armitage via DPP, do have the cash to upgrade him to anyone under 568k, but if can keep the money on the side to get Danger in a week or two that would be ideal.

So, please provide feedback if you feel this is insane, or if you can see some sense behind it hit me up as well haha. Feel free to smash the thumbs too haha
      Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    3. JoshyC
      JoshyC
      Thinking the same thing tbh, or dpp up and into hogan, could be a keeper but can you trust him
      Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    4. Len
      Len
      Update, up to 3 weeks from a club insider
      • Like Like x 2
    5. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Whoa. Is it a groin as reported?
    6. Len
      Len
      Thats the story so far
      • Like Like x 1
    7. anthak
      anthak
      Good call I think. This is me too.
    8. stripey
      stripey
      So what do people think... slow start to the season, ongoing groin concern... is this something that will affect the whole season? Should those of us with Josh Kelly hold or avoid further pain?

TU Hold
      TD Trade
      • Like Like x 2
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    9. Len
      Len
      My thinking is he can't get cheaper, Dangerfield will, unless you must have the points this week him and Ryan are danger next week as a better option
    10. RPritch
      RPritch
      I'm in the same boat as you. I have him and have no clue if I should hold or trade. Leaning towards holding him, but I don't have Coniglio and think a straight swap from Kelly to Coniglio looks like a pretty good idea. Either Coniglio comes in this week at under $500k or probably doesn't come in at all for me.

If I could guarantee that Kelly will be back at 100% for Rd6 then I'd keep him, but not sure if I can get that guarantee
      • Like Like x 1
    11. stripey
      stripey
      I like the thinking here re Danger @Len . He did look much better when Gaz went down so expecting his price to bounce back soon. This i will strongly consider as I have both Ryan & ZGL to worry about this week...

If I didnt have Coniglio @RPritch then I would probably do that trade in a heartbeat...
      • Like Like x 3
    12. Waldo666
      Waldo666
      A Friday thumb poll, Ryan to....

:thumbsu: Crowden
      :thumbsd: Henry
      :1: Wait and see (Garlett on field w/ no bench)
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 2
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    13. JC
      JC
      I have Kelly as well and am still tossing up whether to pay the full freight for Danger this week. Unless he has an absolute stinker, waiting a week for Danger probably saves you 30-35k at best - and less if he repeats last year's efforts at the ground. He averaged 152 at Simmonds Stadium last year and he plays 3 of his next 4 there and 5 of his next 9, which is one reason why I'm considering going early.

On the flip side, the price sucks and there's the unknown about his scoring when Gaz is back.

FWIW, I'm looking to trade Ryan this week but am holding ZGL as the talk is that he's ahead of schedule.
      • Like Like x 1
    14. ike2112_01
      ike2112_01
      Like a lot of the Saints side, he's on shaky ground. Not sure they'd want to ever drop him, but think they are moving him around a little to get him more involved but it's not necessarily having the desired effect.
      He was drafted with an expectation to play midfield but it doesn't look like transpiring at this point.
      I wouldn't trade him out just yet though, the Saints seem likely to change their setup again this week. Last week Membrey was a late out and their VFL side had already played less than 24hr before so it affected what they could do. This week they're either going small in the forward line, or bringing in a ruck and moving Marshall around. Either way they'll line up slightly different again so Billings may change role again.
      The bottom line is he scores well in wins and often poorly in losses, and I think Sainters now expect to see more losses than wins this year...

As a Saints fan often I'm able to find a fantasy gem here or there, but this season I'd say best steer clear. Marshall may be about to make cash but he's awkwardly priced to make it worthwhile.
      Clark and Coffield have minimal job security, Long is a low posession player, Gresham not consistent. I went with Savage and Armitage and the latter frankly is on the verge of being dropped from the side too.

I'd advise avoiding Saints players until we get later in the season, they might play Ed Phillips or Clavarino. And/or Stevens might have a run of better form.
      I expect Jack Steele to come into better form too as he gets fitter, he missed some preseason, but he'll take a couple weeks to turn around a high BE.
      Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    15. IPOD
      IPOD
      Was going to sit on my hands but am starting to get the itchy trade finger. Have ryan and was going to hold and was toying up the idea on Ryan out and either Wille Rioil, Crowden or Henry. And up Armitage to Macrae. Or move Stephenson off to the previously mentioned 3. Or i can hold as i have cover in all positions (minus ruck) (fogarty in fwd line, Naughton def and Barry Brayshaw and Banfield mids)
      Option 1 - Move on Ryan for one of the 3 and go Armitage - Macrae
      Option 2 - Move stephenson for one of the 3
      Option 3 - Do nothing save your trades and use your emergencies as cove (thats what they are there for)
      Comment if you have some better ideas
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 2
    16. God Yeah
      God Yeah
      I'm holding Ryan and using him as my loophole - Martin with the VC. Merrett has made way for Sicily with McLean going into the midfield - may re-buy Merrett after the bye rounds depending on team structure and rookie upgrade / downgrade.

I'm still holding Crouch and he will go to Danger for the princely sum of around ~$80K next week. Banfield on-field this week the only real issue.
    17. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      If you've got no other issues, holding onto Ryan is fair enough but in most cases I would suggest trading him.

Armitage owners should just have to stick fat and treat him like an expensive rookie. Same with prems that have stunk it up.

Edit - and he's dropped. Eh, who knows :D
      Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    18. JoshyC
      JoshyC
      Armitage dropped makes this a lock for me