Best Buys - Round 5

Discussion in 'Blog' started by That KI Guy, Apr 26, 2018.

By That KI Guy on Apr 26, 2018 at 1:14 AM
  1. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Upgrade season!

But before we get hasty, we need to be thinking about which premos we realistically think will be top shelf in their respective positions for the rest of the year. Remember there’s still plenty of footy to play out and aggregate is just as important as average when deciding on premos you are bringing in at this point of the season.

The list below is purely my take on which premos have bottomed out (or still represent value based on average) and are worthy considerations to fill your top shelf for the remainder of the season.

Player of the week

Elliot Yeo WC Def $506K BE 40 Avg 101

It will no doubt be a rollercoaster as he occasionally gets thrown into a different role. Pretty much lock him in as a top 6 defender regardless. This will probably be the cheapest we’ll see him all season.
    Edit - WARNING, possible late out with injury

Premiums

Kade Simpson Carl Def $532K BE 99 Avg 117
    Another locked top 6 defender that has all but bottomed out after matching his 141 BE this weekend. Could wait another week without massive price jump.

Zach Merrett Ess Mid $486K BE 71 Avg 77
    Is Zerrett back? Back to back tons would suggest so.

Top 8 mid? Coin toss I reckon but has form. Don’t be put off by the slow start, that’s his MO. Previous two seasons (where he has averaged 109+ for the year), he started with only 3 tons in first six games. Not to mention his concussion affected round 1.

Clayton Oliver Melb Mid $581K BE 117 Avg 115
    Can probably wait a week or two but can’t see him getting much cheaper. Solid odds for top 8.

Stephen Coniglio GWS Mid $540K BE 98 Avg 121
    Why on earth haven’t you got him yet? Do it. Do it now!

Joel Selwood Gee Mid $533K BE 122 Avg 108
    Cleared to play. Basement price. Even money chance of top 10 mid. Can probably wait a week.

Patrick Cripps Carl Mid $545K BE 84 Avg 116
    Had us a little concerned with back to back 90s. Fear not. Here’s a 151 to calm the nerves.

Max Gawn Melb Ruck $565K BE 76 Avg 123
    If you don’t have him and you need a ruck for some unknown reason then grab him now before his price goes through the roof.

Robbie Gray PA Fwd $565K BE 57 Avg 124
    Its Robbie Gray. Nuff said.

David Mundy Freo M/F $523K BE 105 Avg 104
    Not suggesting he’s a must have this week but I’m putting him in here as I feel he’ll be a top 6 forward. Very durable for his age and seems to have his forward game sorted.

Issac Heeney Syd M/F $557K BE 92 Avg 112
    Wish I started him. Killing it.

Mid Pricers

Not an advertisement to buy here, more like buyer beware.

Paul Seedsman Adel D/M $414K BE 63 Avg 94
    A brave pick for a guy appearing to breakout. Going at 25+ posies on the wing/HBF so not jeopardised by Sloane/Crouch return. Top 10 defender? Probably not.

Jarrad McVeigh Syd Def $442K BE 66 Avg 84
    Stringing a few nice games together but will he play out a full season?

Tim Taranto GWS Fwd $415K BE 45 Avg 93
    A frustrating sub 50 a couple of weeks ago is probably an indication of expected fluctuations throughout the season. If you got him a few weeks back at $50K less, hats off. Not a terrible pick with a reasonable chance to be top 10 forward on current form. A fair bit of talent missing at Giants, though I’m not sure who’d squeeze him out.

Rookies on the bubble

Now here’s the head scratcher, a bunch of tasty rookies to downgrade to as well as some fallen premos to jump all over. Aaarrhh!

Horses for courses as they say, but I reckon we need to invest in at least one of these bubble boys. Obviously, job security is the main concern here and my crystal ball is stuffed given that I’m already carrying 4 bench donuts. My gut feel is on Higgins (3 goals) and Guelfi (2 new fwd injuries) to hold their spots for a few weeks and make a bit of coin. That said, Mirra has done nothing wrong, and competition for his spot seems light at the moment. So at $102K it will be easier for him to make cash even at a lower average.

David Mirra Haw Def $102K BE -70 Avg 66

Jack Higgins Rich F/M $130K BE -76 Avg 77

Matt Guelfi Ess Fwd $117K BE -71 Avg 71

Lochie O’Brien Carl D/M $162K BE -10 Avg 54

Jordan Cunico Gee Mid $188K BE -56 Avg 85

Zac Giles-Langdon GWS Fwd $117K BE -42 Avg 56

Premium watchlist

Alex Rance Rich Def $490K BE 122 Avg 93

Zach Tuohy Gee Def $467K BE 139 Avg 85

Jeremy Howe Coll Def $462K BE 149 Avg 84

Patrick Dangerfield Gee Mid $669K BE 163 Avg 117

Tom Mitchell Haw Mid $642K BE 220 Avg 126

Dustin Martin Rich Mid $632K BE 148 Avg 125

Jackson Macrae WB Mid $603K BE 161 Avg 119

Josh Kelly GWS Mid $602K BE 162 Avg 105

Matt Crouch Adel Mid $608K BE 209 Avg 78

Bryce Gibbs Adel Mid $555K BE 170 Avg 105

Toby McLean WB Fwd $520K BE 126 Avg 103

Toby Greene GWS Fwd $514K BE 161 Avg 93

Michael Walters Freo Fwd $512K BE 138 Avg 100

Rookie Watchlist

Thomas Cole WC Def $170K (1 game @ 98)

Taylin Duman Freo Def $123K (1 game @ 85)

Paul Ahern NM F/M $123K – screaming to be picked!

Smokie pick

Brett Deledio GWS Fwd $413K BE -20 Avg 92
    Can you afford to use a trade at this point of the season on a guy made of crepe paper?

Probably not, but it’d be ballsy.

Lids is loving life on the outside. Has had a couple of poor games, one where he copped an eye injury, so we’ll give him that. Won’t go 150 every week and is unlikely to play 22 games, but you gotta ask yourself: “do you feel lucky, punk?”

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 10

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by That KI Guy, Apr 26, 2018.

1. anthak
      anthak
      Interesting discussion about loophole options.

Always best to check which games your non-players are in each round and also make sure there’s a player onfield in their line with a late enough game so that you can move them onfield. Or sometimes if they’re rucks it’s safe to just leave them onfield anyway. Olango for instance is unlikely to play so can be left onfield every week.

I’ve got Olango who gives me lots of options most weeks due to playing late Sunday so often. Because of this, I was spoilt for choice this week and I chose Titch as VC, whereas I was pretty much forced to pick Cripps in my TG team due to not having Olango or any other options after Cameron in the 2nd game of the round.

Titch might still do better than Cripps, but it’s probably fair to say it’s unlikely.... so the limited options might have been a godsend this round haha
      • Like Like x 2
    2. JC
      JC
      I went Bonner and kept Naughton, mate. Like you I think Hartlett out will help Bonner though so it was a bit of a line ball decision. Now I'm hoping Murphy isn't a late in so I can get Naughton's score on field.

Still tossing up whether to do a second trade. I don't think Guelfi suits my team structurally as it would push a 2nd fwd rookie on field, so that would mean punting on Higgins JS instead. I do have the cash to turn Christensen into Gray, though, which might be the way to go.
      • Like Like x 1
    3. anthak
      anthak
      Parfitt is out if anyone has him.
      Game starts in 5 min