Big Bang for Your Buck: Four Breakthrough Players to Get into Your Fantasy Team

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Feb 12, 2018.

By walesy on Feb 12, 2018 at 2:06 PM
  1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Source: Sydney Swans via Facebook

Selecting your fantasy team before the season gets underway is always a tedious and time-consuming affair. It's always tricky trying to fit those big-name players into a budget that always seems just a little too small, as well as looking for that diamond in the rough that no one else will have in their side, but you have a feeling it's their time to shine.

Quite often, many people will have the same top-tier stars and it's usually the breakout players that tend to make the difference between winning and losing. We're talking about young talent that is about to have their best season yet, someone that is on the verge of unleashing their full potential upon the league. Predicting who these new game changers are going to be is no easy task, but if you can manage to pick them correctly, the rewards for your team will be massive. There are several things to consider when scouting for one of these players, so let's take a look at a few viable candidates that could be ready to explode in 2018.

Callum Mills (Sydney Swans - DEF)
    After a solid rookie season in 2016 that saw him average 73, Mills was tipped for a big year last term. Unfortunately, he stepped off the gas a little and subsequently his average went down to 69. But now he is looking like a prime selection for a breakout player, with the Swans most likely to use him more in the midfield than across half-back. All things are pointing to a big year for the 20-year old that may see him pull an average of 80 or more.

Put that together with a team that was in devastating form towards the end of last season, and it's easy to see why he would be such a handy asset. The Swans don't look like slowing down this year either and are currently equal favourites for the flag at $5.00 according to the latest AFL odds. Adelaide Crows and the Greater Western Sydney Giants are the other two teams whom bookmakers are liking to win the Grand Final.

upload_2018-2-12_14-5-23.png

Source: Melbourne Football Club via Facebook

Angus Brayshaw (Melbourne Demons - DEF/MID)
    Picked at number three in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, Brayshaw has had an unlucky run with concussion injuries over the past two years, resulting in him missing a total of 14 games. But that's the reason you can pick him up on the cheap this year and he looked fantastic when he returned to the senior side in round 21. In his last three games of the season, he recorded fantasy scores of 89, 83 and 86, and if he can keep improving on that, he could be scoring an extremely valuable 90-plus per game.

[​IMG]

Source: Corey Cornell via Facebook

Christian Petracca (Melbourne Demons - FWD/MID)
    Here we have another Demon who looks set to have a breakthrough season, with a lot of talk suggesting he will be spending more time in the midfield, where he was an abundant scorer during his junior years. He hit 80-plus in eight games last campaign and is only cheap due to a couple of below-par performances, which saw him rack up scores of 33 and 39. It seems like the 22-year old has put those howlers behind him now, though, and his round-23 result of 87 points is the new benchmark for 2018.

[​IMG]

Source: The Zanotti Files via Facebook

Rory Lobb (Greater Western Sydney Giants - FWD)
    At 24 years of age, Lobb has never jumped out as a must-have for the majority of fantasy players. However, during the absence of Shane Mumford in the finals last season, Lobb finally got his chance to impress when he took over the ruck position. He was extremely impressive throughout the campaign and recorded scores of 90 and 83. Great value for money in this year's league and it wouldn't be surprising to see him posting scores of 85 and up.

So, there are a few breakouts that may have gone under your radar while looking for some quality but cheap options. Now we just have to wait to see if they can bring home the points from their performances out on the pitch.

• Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Len
      Len
      Depends on league vs overall discussion I guess, he plays through all the other byes
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    2. walesy
      walesy
      That is a very good point!
      • Like Like x 1
    3. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
    4. Penske file
      Penske file
      Left field question, will you guys be having leagues this year? I know I'm a non-contributing member in technical side but appreciate all your efforts in this massive undertaking, anyhow just wondering if so I am interested. Thank you. Also yes I have just traded Nic-nat to Goldy moment but monitoring JLT.
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Len
      Len
      Yep, always have a couple running mate, but probably a week or two away from hitting them up
    6. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
    7. TheTassieHawk
    8. Penske file
      Penske file
      Certainly not good news for saints young Freeman, don't think we will ever see what he has offer, sad really.
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Len
      Len
      I'm possibly being overly optimistic but I read this as a very minor issue that was going to free him up.. glass half full I guess :)
    10. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Week 1 JLT Squads (week 1)
      http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/jlt-week-one-squads-star-recruits-unleashed

Saturday February 24th
      NORTH MELBOURNE vs MELBOURNE

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: M.Williams 2, R.Tarrant 25, R.Clarke 13
      HB: J.Macmillan 34, S.Thompson 16, S.Atley 18
      C: T.Dumont, 14, B.Cunnington 10, B.Jacobs 5
      HF: B.Hartung 39, J.Waite 30, L.McDonald 11
      F: N.Hrovat 8, B.Brown 50, K.Turner 28
      Foll: T.Goldstein 22, S.Higgins 4, J.Ziebell 7 (c)
      I/C: P.Ahern 15, M.Daw 1, L.Davies-Uniacke 9, S.Durdin 24, M.Hibberd 17, N.Larkey 20, B.McKay 23, A.Morgan 21, G.Narrier 41, E.Vickers-Willis 33, J.Williams 36, C.Zurhaar 44

Notable absentees: Mason Wood, Braydon Preuss, Taylor Garner, Jy Simpkin, Sam Wright

MELBOURNE
      B: J.Wagner 42, O.McDonald 28, J.Lewis 6
      HB: J.Lever 8, M.Hibberd 14, B.Vince 23
      C: J.Hunt 29, J.Harmes 4, B.Stretch 15
      HF: C.Oliver 13, T.McDonald 25, N.Jones 2 (c)
      F: C.Petracca 5, J.Hogan 1, M.Hannan 19
      Foll: M.Gawn 11, J.Melksham 18, A.Neal-Bullen 30
      I/C: D.Keilty 45, C.Salem 3, H.Balic 27, A.Brayshaw 10, T.Bugg 32, H.Petty 35, B.Fritsch 31, S.Frost 17, J.Kennedy Harris 24, C.Maynard 20, T.Smith 38, C.Pedersen 21

Notable absentees: Neville Jetta, Jack Viney, Dom Tyson

Essendon v Richmond at Norm Minns Oval (Wangaratta), 4.35pm AEDT

ESSENDON

B: A.McGrath 1, M.Brown 28, P.Ambrose 29
      HB: A.Saad 42, M.Hartley 36, C.McKenna 45
      C: M.Gleeson 8, Z.Merrett 7, D.Parish 3
      HF: A.McDonald-Tipungwuti 43, S.Draper 38, D.Zaharakis 11
      F: D.Smith 5, J.Daniher 6, S.McKernan 44
      Foll: M.Leuenberger 22, J.Begley 16, J.Long 34
      I/C: M.Baguley 12, D.Heppell 21 (c), J.Houlahan 24, M.Dea 49, K.Langford 4, M.Guelfi 35, B.Goddard 9, J.Green 15, D.Clarke 37, J.Stringer 25, J.Merrett 20, B.McNiece 41

Notable absentees: Michael Hurley, Tom Bellchambers, Orazio Fantasia, Cale Hooker, Aaron Francis, David Myers

RICHMOND
      B: A.Rance 18, D.Astbury 12, D.Grimes 2
      HB: N.Vlastuin 1, B.Houli 14, B.Ellis 5
      C: S.Grigg 6, S.Edwards 10, T.Cotchin 9 (c)
      HF: J.Castagna 11, J.Graham 34, C.Ellis 32
      F: J.Riewoldt 8, J.Caddy 22, D.Butler 7
      Foll: T.Nankervis 25, K.Lambert 23, D.Martin 4
      I/C: R.Conca 30, S.Bolton 29, J.Townsend 21, K.McIntosh 33, J.Short 15, R.Garthwaite 42, J.Higgins 28, M.Chol 41, A.Miles 26, C.Moore 36, S.Lloyd 27, I.Soldo 47

Notable absentees: Dion Prestia, Daniel Rioli, Nathan Broad

Sunday, February 25
      Adelaide v Fremantle at Strathalbyn Oval (Strathalbyn), 1.35pm ACDT

ADELAIDE
      B: R.Laird 29, D.Talia 12, J.Kelly 8
      HB: K.Cheney 25, A.Otten 22, L.Brown 16
      C: M.Poholke 10, B.Gibbs 6, P.Seedsman 11
      HF: C.Hampton 17, T.Lynch 27, D.Mackay 14
      F: S.Gibson 20, J.Jenkins 4, R.Atkins (c) 21
      Foll: S.Jacobs 24, C.Ellis-Yolmen 28, M.Crouch 5
      I/C: P.Wilson 31, E.Himmelberg 34, M.Signorello 35, P.Hunter 37, H.Dear 38, T.Doedee 39, B.Davis 40, M.McGovern 41, A.Keath 42, R.O'Brien 43, L.Murphy 44, D.Fogarty 32

Notable absentees: Taylor Walker, Brodie Smith, Brad Crouch, Riley Knight

FREMANTLE
      B: L.Ryan 38, M.Johnson 37, A.Pearce 25
      HB: D.Tucker 18, N.Wilson 14, D.Pearce 6
      C: B.Hill 9, D.Mundy 16, C.Sutcliffe 33
      F: L.Neale 27, M.Walters 10, M.Taberner 20
      HF: H.Ballantyne 1, C.McCarthy 23, B.Matera 3
      Foll: A.Sandilands 31, C.Blakely 19, N.Fyfe (c) 7
      I/C: B.Banfield 41, B.Cox 36, E.Langdon 26, S.Kersten 22, L.Spurr 34, L.Meek 30, A.Brayshaw 8, A.Cerra 5, G.Logue 2, S.Giro 42, B.Grey 28, T.Sheridan 11

Notable absentees: Sean Darcy, Harley Bennell, Ethan Hughes, Joel Hamling, Stephen Hill

West Coast v Port Adelaide at Leederville Oval (Perth), 3.35pm AWST

WEST COAST
      B: S.Hurn (c) 25, T.Barrass 37, B.Sheppard 5
      HB: T.Cole 28, J.McGovern 20, L.Duggan 14
      C: L.Jetta 23, J.Redden 8, A.Gaff 3
      HF: J.Cripps 15, J.Waterman 45, B.Ah Chee 41
      F: M.LeCras 2, J.Darling 27, N.Vardy 19
      Foll: S.Lycett 29, E.Yeo 6, L.Shuey 13
      I/C: L.Ryan 1, D.Sheed 4, J.Brander 10, D.Venables 18, L.Partington 24, F. Watson 26, J.Nelson 30, W.Schofield 31, B.Ainsworth 33, M.Hutchings 34, F.McInnes 36, M.Karpany 39

Notable absentees: Nic Naitanui, Josh Kennedy, Willie Rioli, Eric Mackenzie

PORT ADELAIDE
      B: R.Bonner 26, T.Jonas 42, D.Houston 43
      HB: D.Byrne-Jones 33, T.Clurey 17, H.Hartlett 8
      C: K.Amon 15, O.Wines 16, S.Motlop 6
      HF: T.Boak (c) 1, J.Watts 23, J.Neade 3
      F: J.Westhoff 39, C.Dixon 22, R.Gray 9
      Foll: P.Ryder 4, B.Ebert 7, S.Powell-Pepper 2
      I/C: J.Trengove 19, J.Hombsch 36, T.McKenzie 12, J.Pittard 29, P.Ladhams 38, J.Toumpas 18, J.Atley 30, D.Barry 41, K.Farrell 24, D.Howard 32, L.Thomas 48, J.Patmore 37

Notable absentees: Tom Rockliff, Sam Gray, Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, Matthew Broadbent
      • Like Like x 1
    11. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/giants-serious-about-friendly-against-swans

Giants squad (29)
      2. Jacob Hopper, 3. Stephen Coniglio, 5. Dylan Shiel, 6. Lachie Whitfield, 8. Callan Ward, 10. Aiden Bonar, 11. Will Setterfield, 12. Jon Patton, 14. Tim Taranto, 18. Jeremy Cameron, 19. Nick Haynes, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 22. Josh Kelly, 23. Heath Shaw, 24. Matt de Boer, 25. Lachie Keeffe, 26. Dawson Simpson, 27. Harry Himmelberg, 30. Matt Flynn, 31. Jeremy Finlayson, 32. Ryan Griffen, 33. Lachie Tiziani, 34. Nick Shipley, 38. Daniel Lloyd, 39. Tim Mohr, 41. Jack Buckley, 42. Jake Stein, 43. Dylan Buckley, 50. Sam Reid

Sydney squad (29)
      1 James Rose, 6 Jordan Foote, 7 Harry Cunningham, 11 Tom Papley, 12 Josh Kennedy,
      13 Oliver Florent, 15 Kieren Jack, 16 Gary Rohan, 17 Darcy Cameron, 18 Callum Sinclair, 20 Sam Reid, 22 Dean Towers, 23 Lance Franklin, 24 Dane Rampe, 25 Ben Ronke, 26 Luke Parker, 27 Dan Robinson, 28 Nic Newman, 29 George Hewett, 30 Tom McCartin, 31 Harry Marsh, 33 Ryley Stoddart, 35 Sam Naismith, 36 Aliir Aliir, 38 Colin O’Riordan, 40 Nick Smith, 42 Robbie Fox, 43 Lewis Melican, 44 Jake Lloyd

------
      Friday's practice match against the Swans at Henson Park will be streamed LIVE on the GIANTS App and on http://gwsgiants.com.au! Make sure to tune in to catch all the action from 5.30PM
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Len
      Len
      All bolded giants are duds, clearly would not bother drafting in a keeper league format ;)
    13. graeme
      graeme
      Swans squad:
      1 James Rose
      6 Jordan Foote
      7 Harry Cunningham
      11 Tom Papley
      12 Josh Kennedy
      13 Oliver Florent
      15 Kieren Jack
      16 Gary Rohan
      17 Darcy Cameron
      18 Callum Sinclair
      20 Sam Reid
      22 Dean Towers
      23 Lance Franklin
      24 Dane Rampe
      25 Ben Ronke
      26 Luke Parker
      27 Dan Robinson
      28 Nic Newman
      29 George Hewett
      30 Tom McCartin
      31 Harry Marsh
      33 Ryley Stoddart
      35 Sam Naismith
      36 Aliir Aliir
      38 Colin O’Riordan
      40 Nick Smith
      42 Robbie Fox
      43 Lewis Melican
      44 Jake Lloyd

Will be streamed live on sydneyswans.com.au. I understand if you do not enjoy the swans commentary team it will also be live on the gws website.
    14. walesy
      walesy
      ACL for Setterfield :(
    15. Len
      Len
      Gutted
    16. JoshyC
      JoshyC
      • Like Like x 3
    17. benny01
      benny01
      Fritsch looked very good and could have had more. He was very unselfish notably giving away a handball when he had marked 15m out directly infront.
      • Like Like x 1
    18. anthak
      anthak
      Anyone actually watch this?
    19. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      A small part of the second quarter and it appeared to be typical low intensity practice match in my view.

Aliir Aliir intercepted well but missed a target under little pressure was about all I remember.
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Len
      Len
      Missed half the first qtr, still at work, turned it off when Setterfield went down.
      Some stuff happened in between but I'm fuzzy on the detail unf.
      • Like Like x 1