Big Bang for Your Buck: Four Breakthrough Players to Get into Your Fantasy Team

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Feb 12, 2018.

By walesy on Feb 12, 2018 at 2:06 PM
  1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Source: Sydney Swans via Facebook

Selecting your fantasy team before the season gets underway is always a tedious and time-consuming affair. It's always tricky trying to fit those big-name players into a budget that always seems just a little too small, as well as looking for that diamond in the rough that no one else will have in their side, but you have a feeling it's their time to shine.

Quite often, many people will have the same top-tier stars and it's usually the breakout players that tend to make the difference between winning and losing. We're talking about young talent that is about to have their best season yet, someone that is on the verge of unleashing their full potential upon the league. Predicting who these new game changers are going to be is no easy task, but if you can manage to pick them correctly, the rewards for your team will be massive. There are several things to consider when scouting for one of these players, so let's take a look at a few viable candidates that could be ready to explode in 2018.

Callum Mills (Sydney Swans - DEF)
    After a solid rookie season in 2016 that saw him average 73, Mills was tipped for a big year last term. Unfortunately, he stepped off the gas a little and subsequently his average went down to 69. But now he is looking like a prime selection for a breakout player, with the Swans most likely to use him more in the midfield than across half-back. All things are pointing to a big year for the 20-year old that may see him pull an average of 80 or more.

Put that together with a team that was in devastating form towards the end of last season, and it's easy to see why he would be such a handy asset. The Swans don't look like slowing down this year either and are currently equal favourites for the flag at $5.00 according to the latest AFL odds. Adelaide Crows and the Greater Western Sydney Giants are the other two teams whom bookmakers are liking to win the Grand Final.

upload_2018-2-12_14-5-23.png

Source: Melbourne Football Club via Facebook

Angus Brayshaw (Melbourne Demons - DEF/MID)
    Picked at number three in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, Brayshaw has had an unlucky run with concussion injuries over the past two years, resulting in him missing a total of 14 games. But that's the reason you can pick him up on the cheap this year and he looked fantastic when he returned to the senior side in round 21. In his last three games of the season, he recorded fantasy scores of 89, 83 and 86, and if he can keep improving on that, he could be scoring an extremely valuable 90-plus per game.

[​IMG]

Source: Corey Cornell via Facebook

Christian Petracca (Melbourne Demons - FWD/MID)
    Here we have another Demon who looks set to have a breakthrough season, with a lot of talk suggesting he will be spending more time in the midfield, where he was an abundant scorer during his junior years. He hit 80-plus in eight games last campaign and is only cheap due to a couple of below-par performances, which saw him rack up scores of 33 and 39. It seems like the 22-year old has put those howlers behind him now, though, and his round-23 result of 87 points is the new benchmark for 2018.

[​IMG]

Source: The Zanotti Files via Facebook

Rory Lobb (Greater Western Sydney Giants - FWD)
    At 24 years of age, Lobb has never jumped out as a must-have for the majority of fantasy players. However, during the absence of Shane Mumford in the finals last season, Lobb finally got his chance to impress when he took over the ruck position. He was extremely impressive throughout the campaign and recorded scores of 90 and 83. Great value for money in this year's league and it wouldn't be surprising to see him posting scores of 85 and up.

So, there are a few breakouts that may have gone under your radar while looking for some quality but cheap options. Now we just have to wait to see if they can bring home the points from their performances out on the pitch.

• Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Feb 12, 2018.

1. anthak
      anthak
      Do you remember who was bringing ball out of backline for GWS most often?
    2. Len
      Len
      In the bits I saw our mids were two way running, this is so rare it's possible they didn't know which end they were playing to
      Other than that Keefe had it a lot, wouldn't read much into it though, we are still drawing the back six from the hat, first JLT far more reliable indicator, Keefe probably not best 22.
      • Like Like x 2
    3. anthak
    4. anthak
      anthak
      :eek::confused: Are you putting a line through overall already?! Isn’t this the time for optimism :D
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Penske file
      Penske file
      Does anyone else think Stringer has somehow lost touch with reality?
    6. Len
      Len
      :) Nope, rucks are so frequently hit and miss, I am backing Ryder's incredible reliability to give me enough points over the season to make up for whatever I can't cover in his bye, tbh I expect to be able to cover him, but time will tell.
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Len
      Len
      some time back, he looked like a fwd trying to play midifeld yesterday
    8. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Barry - locked or not Port Adelaide fans ??
      • Like Like x 1
    9. anthak
      anthak
      Is it true that from the beginning of this season Cat A rookies are available for selection anytime? It was a deal struck during the CBA negotiations last year, but I can’t find official confirmation that it will be in place for this season.
      • Like Like x 3
    10. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I defiintely read that rule had changed for 2018 @anthak
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Len
      Len
      Same, HUN article somewhere
      • Like Like x 1
    12. JC
      JC
      This article from AFL.com about the new CBA says Cat A rookies will be eligible for selection from round 1 this season.
      http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-20/players-get-20-per-cent-pay-rise-in-new-cba
      • Like Like x 2
    13. anthak
      anthak
      • Like Like x 1
    14. anthak
      anthak
      Folks, why did Armitage score lower in 2016 after averaging ~110 in 2015?

@dmandrews @Len

Seems like a lock at his price with his ceiling.

There’s so much value around this year!
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Senator96
      Senator96
      Yes i have one place in the midfield to fill for an omeara Armitage or griffen type and its looking like Armitage at the moment. I havent seen any jlt yet and its difficult to get much from the stats due to players sitting out halves and that type of thing. Im more interested in role changes and where players are likely to lineup in the season proper. Walters is one player im looking at was he playing in the midfield or up forward? Also is there any rate my team thread around this year? I cant seem to find anything.
      • Like Like x 1
    16. anthak
      anthak
      I watched about half of the freo game and Walters played mostly mid during that time. He’s in my team at present.

Not sure about rmt, I personally don’t think it’s too valuable until closer to the season, but others do and I guess there’ll be a thread go up soonish
    17. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      JLT 2nd week (5 matches this week)

Wednesday, February 28
      Carlton v St Kilda at Ikon Park, 7.10pm AEST

CARLTON
      B:
      L.Plowman 20, L.Jones 14, C.Marchbank 22
      HB: K.Simpson 6, J.Weitering 23, C.Byrne 38
      C: A.Mullett 18, P.Cripps 9, D.Thomas 39
      HF: D.Cuningham 28, C.Curnow 30, J.Garlett 21
      F:
      M.Wright 46, H.McKay 10, L.Casboult 41
      Foll: M.Kreuzer 8, M.Murphy 3, P.Dow 2
      I/C:
      J.Lamb 13, M.Kennedy 7, L.O'Brien 4, J.Silvagni 1, S.Petrevski-Seton 5, J.Pickett 33, E.Curnow 35, Z.Fisher 25
      Emerg: T.Williamson 31, C.Polson 29, C.O'Shea 24, M.Lobbe 27

Notable absentees: Darcy Lang, Sam Docherty, Sam Rowe, Sam Kerridge

ST KILDA
      B:
      J.Geary 14, N.Brown 22, D.Roberton 17
      HB: J.Webster 29, J.Carlisle 2, S.Savage 5
      C: J.Newnes 16, D.Armitage 20, J.Sinclair 35
      HF: B.Long 21, P.McCartin 32, N.Wright 34
      F: J.Gresham 4 , T.Membrey 28, M.Weller 44
      Foll: B.Longer 18, S.Ross 6, J.Steven 3
      I/C: L.Dunstan 7, B.Acres 8, J.Steele 9, H.Clark 11, J.Lonie 13, S.Gilbert 19, N.Coffield 33, R.Marshall 43
      Emerg: K.Stevens 25, B.White 31, L Austin 24, B.Rice 37

Notable absentees: Jack Billings, Tom Hickey, Josh Bruce, Nathan Freeman, Josh Battle, Hugh Goddard

Thursday, March 1
      Greater Western Sydney v Collingwood at UNSW Oval, 7.10pm

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
      B:
      H.Perryman 36, P.Davis 1, J.Finlayson 31
      HB:
      T.Mohr 39, A.Tomlinson 20, H.Shaw 23
      C: L.Whitfield 6, C.Ward 8, J.Kelly 22
      HF: S.Reid 50, J.Cameron 18, D.Shiel 5
      F: M.de Boer 24, J.Patton 12, H.Himmelberg 27
      Foll: D.Simpson 26, S.Coniglio 3, R.Griffen 32
      I/C: N.Shipley 34, T.Taranto 14, Z.Langdon 17, L.Tiziani 33, L.Keeffe 25, M.Flynn 30, D.Lloyd 38

Emerg: J.Stein 42, J.Buckley 41, D.Buckley 43

Notable absentees: Toby Greene, Rory Lobb, Brett Deledio, Tom Scully, Jacob Hopper, Zac Williams, Nick Haynes, Will Setterfield, Aidan Corr, Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy

COLLINGWOOD
      B:
      L.Dunn 15, B.Mihocek 41, F.Appleby 31
      HB:
      J.Crisp 25, A.Oxley 43, T.Langdon 8
      C: J.Smith 40, T.Adams 13, J.Aish 14
      HF: T.Varcoe 18, C.Mayne 16, T.Broomhead 29
      F: C.Brown 17, M.Cox 46, B.Maynard 37
      Foll: B.Grundy 4, S.Pendlebury 10, S.Sidebottom 22
      I/C: J.Blair 11, J.Stephenson 35, J.Thomas 24, T.Goldsack 6, W.Hoskin-Elliott 32, S.McLarty 23, B Reid 20, T.Phillips 21
      Emerg: S.Murray 9, B.Crocker 39, J.Daicos 26, M.Scharenberg 12

Notable absentees: Daniel Wells, Adam Treloar, Jamie Elliott, Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe, Jordan De Goey, Alex Fasolo, Levi Greenwood

Saturday, March 3
      Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn at Mars Stadium Ballarat, 2.05pm AEDT

WESTERN BULLDOGS
      B:
      E.Wood 10, Z.Cordy 12, A.Naughton 33
      HB: J.Johannisen 39, M.Adams 25, H.Crozier 9
      C: L.Hunter 7, L.Dahlhaus 6, B.Dale 31
      HF: T.Liberatore 21, L.Jong 46, M.Suckling 1
      F: M.Bontempelli 4, J.Trengove 8, M.Honeychurch 22
      Foll: J.Roughead 23, T.McLean 16, J.Macrae 11
      I/C: J.Dunkley 5, J.Schache 13, L.Webb 19, S.Biggs 24, B.Williams 34, C.Daniel 35, L.Picken 42, T.English 44
      Emerg: T.Boyd 17, F.Roberts 18, T.Dickson 29, J.Redpath 43

Notable absentees: Mitch Wallis, Clay Smith, Dale Morris

HAWTHORN
      B:
      B.Stratton 24, T.O'Brien 23, S.Burgoyne 9
      HB: B.Hardwick 15, J.Sicily 6, R.Burton 5
      C: I.Smith 16, L.Shiels 26, R.Henderson 31
      HF: L.Breust 22, R.Schoenmakers 25, J.Impey 4
      F: P.Puopolo 28, J.Roughead 2, J.Gunston 19
      Foll: B.McEvoy 7, T.Mitchell 3, J.O'Meara 10
      I/C: M.Pittonet 27, D.Mirra 32, H.Morrison 35, B.Whitecross 11, D.Howe 17, T.Duryea 8, O.Hanrahan 41
      Emerg: T.Miles 42, J.Cousins 46, J.Worpel 38, C.Nash 45, C.Glass 44

Notable absentees: Grant Birchall, Cyril Rioli, James Frawley, Jono O'Rourke, Will Langford

Brisbane v Sydney at Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex Brisbane, 4.35pm AEST

BRISBANE
      B:
      S.Mayes 32, D.McStay 25, D.Gardiner 27
      HB: N.Robertson 18, H.Andrews 31, A.Witherden 29
      C: D.Rich 10, C.Cameron 23, R.Lester 35
      HF: L.Taylor 28, A.Christensen 3, H.McCluggage 6
      F: M.Robinson 5, E.Hipwood 30, C.Rayner 16
      Foll: S.Martin 12, J.Berry 13, R.Mathieson 36
      I/C: B.Keays 1, R.Bastinac 4, T.Bell 7, J.Walker 14, J.Allison 19, C.Cox 20, J.Payne 40, J.Barrett 43
      Emerg: R.Bewick 8, T.Cutler 26, B.Starcevich 37, O.McInerney 46

Notable absentees: Luke Hodge, Dayne Beams, Dayne Beams

SYDNEY
      B:
      N.Smith 40 L.Melican 43 A.Aliir 36
      HB: N.Newman 28 D.Rampe 24 G.Rohan 16
      C: H.Cunningham 7 J.Kennedy 12 J.Lloyd 44
      HF: G.Hewett 29 S.Reid 20 W.Hayward 9
      F: T.Papley 11 L.Franklin 23 D.Towers 22
      Foll: S.Naismith 35 L.Parker 26 K.Jack 15
      I/C: I.Heeney 5, O.Florent 13, C.Mills 14, C.Sinclair 18, R.Fox 42, R.Stoddart 33, J.Rose 1
      Emerg: D.Cameron 17, J.Foote 6, T.McCartin 30, D.Robinson 27

Notable absentees: Dan Hannebery, Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy, Zak Jones

Sunday, March 4

Gold Coast v Geelong at Riverway Stadium Townsville, 4.35pm AEST

GOLD COAST
      B:
      J.Harbrow 5, J.Leslie 21, J.Joyce 38
      HB: P.Hanley 1, R.Thompson 16, K.Kolodjashnij 10
      C: L.Weller 14, B.Fiorini 8, A.Hall 33
      HF: J.Martin 4, T.Lynch 19, J.Lyons 25
      F: A.Sexton 6, S.Day 12, S.Lemmens 23
      Foll: J.Witts 28 , T.Miller 11, A.Young 15
      I/C from: T.Nicholls 22, M.Rosa 3, B.Ainsworth 9, D.MacPherson 44, M.Rischitelli 35, J.Bowes 29, W.Brodie 41, N.Holman 39, B.Scheer 18, M.Spencer 43, M.Barlow 20, M.Willis 34

Notable absentees: Steven May, David Swallow, Peter Wright

GEELONG
      B:
      J.Kolodjashnij 8, T.Stewart 44, J.Thurlow 40
      HB: Z.Tuohy 2, J.Bews 24, Z.Guthrie 39
      C: J.Murdoch 21, M.Duncan 22, M.Blicavs 46
      HF: J.Parsons 34, R.Stanley, 1 B.Parfitt 3
      F: J.Cunico 31, T.Hawkins 26, D.Menzel 10
      Foll: Z.Smith 9, S.Menegola 27, C.Guthrie 29
      I/C from: A.Black 23, W.Buzza 12, C.Constable 18, L.Fogarty 13, R.Gardner 20, C.Gregson 28, G.Horlin-Smith 33, J.Jones 41, E.Ratugolea 17, T.Kelly 11, G.Miers 32, M.O'Connor 42

Notable absentees: Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett, Joel Selwood, Scott Selwood, Harry Taylor
    18. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
    19. dmandrews
      dmandrews
      @anthak below I have copied some sentences covering David Armitage’s 2016 season from an article I published on https://milestonesandmisses.com/ on the morning of 28 August 2016 to celebrate him playing his 150th game later that day.

During the 2016 pre-season Armitage’s workload was restricted by a back injury which restricted him to training with the rehabilitation group for an extended time which was always going to make it difficult to replicate his outstanding 2015 season. During 2015 the St Kilda midfield was very reliant on Armitage and Steven whereas throughout 2016 the Saints have been intent on developing a deeper midfield which has reduced St Kilda’s reliance on the ball-winning ability of Armitage and Steven and in several games during 2016 David had a run-with role in the midfield.

A link to the Armitage 150 game article is below:

https://milestonesandmisses.com/2016/08/28/armitages-150th-afl-game/

Armitage recapturing his career best output of 109 sc points per game which he set in 2015 is unrealistic this season given that he played only two games last year and might have some run-with roles again this season. Apart from 2015 Armitage hasn’t averaged above 95 supercoach points per game (in seasons that he played at least five games) and I think 2015 was a one-off season for Armitage. I wouldn’t expect Armitage to be a midfield keeper this season however given that his starting price is $310,100 his price would increase by close to $200,000 if he could average low 90’s.
      Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
      • Like Like x 4
    20. anthak
      anthak
      I knew you’d come through with the goods mate :)
      Thanks for sharing this info
      • Like Like x 2