Brent Stanton vs. Josh P Kennedy vs. Scott Thompson

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Obsession, May 19, 2012.

1. Seabass

Seabass New Member

@ Swert - mate that's a bit misleading - by total points you're spot on, but by average all of the above but Murphy are top 10.

Stanton/Kennedy/Thompson have just been lucky enough to not have been injured/concussed/suspended/tagged heavily. TBH only Stanton and Kennedy slightly are surprises for me - Thompson is a gun full stop, and Kennedy was due for a breakout year like Dangerfield.

2. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from Seabass on May 21, 2012, 15:29
    @ Swert - mate that's a bit misleading - by total points you're spot on, but by average all of the above but Murphy are top 10.</blockquote>

Well it's no use having a premium sitting on the bench, so total points is the way you need to judge it. Starting with Stanton was a better move than starting with Ablett even if Ablett is averaging higher because he has missed two games.

3. Seabass

Seabass New Member

No arguments there - just saying it's luck more than anything that has caused Stanton/Kennedy to be a better move than Ablett this year for example.

4. Bucko

Bucko Active Member

Adelaide have the best run of any team through the SC finals (FRE, BRS, MEL, GCS) so I think Scott Thompson will be the most valuable of those 3 from here on. Although there is a big risk of the General !

I'm looking to get him and Danger in after their round 11 bye.

5. pollypies

pollypies Member

Surely, since Anzac day when Stanton got shut down by Clarke, other clubs must have tried the same thing. I haven't seen enough of him, but his numbers sure look good. Can anyone tell me whether Stanton has had a tag and just burnt it off with his running, or other clubs still tagging Watson instead?

6. Seabass

Seabass New Member

Good question pollypies. Since ANZAC day:

rd 6 vs Brisbane - no Raines due to suspension
    rd 7 vs w/coast - no adam selwood due to injury
    rd 8 vs richmond - was tagged by jackson and did a decent job to start off with from memory, but stants got away from him.

I don't think the real test for him will come till rd 13-15, being freo (crowley), bulldogs (picken) and st kilda (jones). If he can still score heavily through that gauntlet then he's elite.

7. Seabass

Seabass New Member

and possibly rd 11 if the swans play kieren jack on him?

8. pollypies

pollypies Member

Thanks Seabass. Very useful info.

9. silacious

silacious New Member

@seabass i Think stanton's fitness will win out against all those taggers because he gets around the ground he doesn't rely on clearence work to get possies. He collects the ball in the backline and through the middle.

10. Seabass

Seabass New Member

Silacious, as a bombers supporter I hope you're right mate. I just see the effect that Clark had on him on Anzac day, as a tagger with as big a tank as Stanton. If the other taggers listed can keep up with him that's where the issues may arise. But hopefully he comes through with some "substandard" 120 games at worst :)

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Thommo then Stants then JPK

12. pollypies

pollypies Member

Interesting to note, Marty Clarke has played 54 games for the Pies and that it the only game I have ever seen him tag a player. He was obviously given the job due to his elite fitness.

13. Seabass

Seabass New Member

I found that strange myself when he was tagging pollypies, didn't realise that was the case.

And I'm with nick - Thompson, stants, jpk