Carnage

Discussion in 'AFL' started by hawks2008, Aug 23, 2011.

1. HardyMat

HardyMat New Member

The HUN in there all so un-wise Footy Baromter has mentioned Priddis as well as being possibly rested up.

But I agree with Lucas, with no guarantee of a win against the Brisbane Lions, I would expect WCE to at least notch this weeks victory up so they definately have top 4.

Hopefully then, Cox and Priddis won't be rested this week.

2. Quantum

Quantum New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Steve on August 23, 2011, 15:38
    I can see where you are coming from Walesy but I would be very disappointed if I was in contention for the overall honours and then to have my team decimated in rounds 23 and round 24 with the "general soreness" coming into play. You could really make a case then that the best team who deserves to win the whole thing by getting his/her team at the top may not necessarily win the competition as it is pot luck which players are ruled out the "general soreness". I know there is lot of luck during the year with injuries and "general soreness" as well but come rounds 23 and 24 people don’t have many trades left and even if you did have 2 trades for this week you still may not be able to cover all the suspected outs this week. I just feel it is not a very level playing field when we get to this stage of the year.
    </blockquote>

Isnt it still a level playing field though as we are all in the same situation? Some may have played it a bit smarter and anticipated the general, thus saving trades for the business end?

Some may not have, but that is their own fault as they had the opportunity to.

Just my opinion and I reckon there is a fair bit of luck involved, I mean injuries are unpredictable, Hayes for example

3. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Whilst at the osteo today, I have general back soreness, we got into a SC preliminary final discussion. Then went on to discuss this great site called Too Serious.
    And she's in a Too Serious League. Gotta love it!

4. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Ha! You're Osteo is a legend. :D

That said, I agree with Quantum - The General sucks, but in all honesty, particularly this year, it should be manageble through depth.

You look at a team like Shags, who has purposefully avoided Carlton players because he wanted a full squad at the years end- combine that with the depth that we've been able to manage over the year and you've got a pretty solid coverage for the General.

It's not like we didn't expect it to happen! It's just that everyone that is holding Gibbs/Scotland/Judd/Murphy took the risk that it wouldn't happen to them!

5. Tino

Tino Member

I'm hoping to ride some Carnage into the GF.

Opponent has Scotland, Gibbs, Judd, Cox, Broughton, Pav, Suckling and Mitchell!

Good luck covering those doughnuts!

I only lose Gibbs, Murphy and Pav. :)

6. marky53

marky53 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from melbandy on August 23, 2011, 16:54
    Whilst at the osteo today, I have general back soreness, we got into a SC preliminary final discussion. Then went on to discuss this great site called Too Serious.
    And she's in a Too Serious League. Gotta love it!
    </blockquote>

The General strikes again!!!!!!

7. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Hey melbandy! Hope you signed your Osteo up for the TS-Ladies League????

8. Corks

Corks Member

Are you playing me Tino? I think you and my other opponents are in position to do a "Bradbury".

9. Golingo

Golingo New Member

<blockquote>Quote from walesy on August 23, 2011, 17:01You look at a team like Shags, who has purposefully avoided Carlton players because he wanted a full squad at the years end- combine that with the depth that we've been able to manage over the year and you've got a pretty solid coverage for the General.

It's not like we didn't expect it to happen! It's just that everyone that is holding Gibbs/Scotland/Judd/Murphy took the risk that it wouldn't happen to them!</blockquote>

As much as it pains me to say it, you're spot on. I'm sitting on Gibbs, Murphy and Yarran.. Yet still as the year crept towards it's end, and my trades dwindled I always planned on moving at least 1 if not 2 of them on this week.

And here I am, 1 trade left staring at Gibbs, Broughton, Murphy, Pavlich, Sylvia and Yarran.

Oops

10. Corks

Corks Member

But, avoiding Gibbs and Scotland during a year of below-par backs has probably cost you a few hundred points and 2 or 3 match wins along the way.

I'll take my medicine in thanks for the wins and points I've got from having Blues all year. If I somehow sneak a win this week, I'll also back my mob against a team without Judd / Gibbs / Scotland in the GF next week as well.

11. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

@TiB

I'll send her an email re Ladies League. Didn't think of it at the time as she was doing her S&M thing on me at the time.

@Marky

Pleased you picked up on that

@ Corks

Too right. Time to pay your Blues dues. If you planned it right, you've got no problems. If not suffer in ur jocks.

12. 82asch

82asch New Member

Regarding the Blues dues - I agree it's time to pay. However with all the carnage that's about it is worth having a good hard look at your opponents team. My opponent has Gibbs, Murphy, Judd and Warnock plus a lot of carnage, by my count he could realistically be down to 21 starters (with no trades). He could trade Murphy and Judd but IMO that would be a bad move as he would be keeping the injured players in his squad.

I have Gibbs and Carrazzo and was going to trade Carrots to Enright but now am thinking if Broughton doesn't play I'll trade him in for Birchall this week and sit Carrazzo and Gibbs on the bench. Bit of a gamble but with the carnage I think its better to move on non starters and use cover such as Stanley, Poops, Mzungu, then to trade out injury free Blues as most people are in the same boat.