Champions League 1st Group Stage

Discussion in 'Blog' started by TheTassieHawk, May 20, 2015.

By TheTassieHawk on May 20, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Overview
    The Champions League has 48 teams as per the pre-season nominations blog (http://tooserious.net/Blog/tabid/90/Post/7402/2015-TS-Champions-League-Nominations.aspx)

The format of the comp is covered in full in the nominations blog. In the 1st Group Stage 8 groups of 6 teams battled it out in a round robin of 5 matches each from Rounds 3 to 7.

The comp then moved to a 2nd Group Stage from Rounds 8 to 15.(http://tooserious.net/Blog/tabid/90/Post/7580/Champions-League-2nd-Group-Stage.aspx)

After the completion of the group stages the 12 remaining teams will meet in knockout competition to decide the Champions League title:-
    (http://tooserious.net/Blog/tabid/90/Post/7747/Champions-League-Knockout-Rds-16-to-19.aspx)

During the 1st Stage teams in Groups A to H were ranked 1-6 as per regular league standings - ie W/L/D then % from all group matches. The top 3 teams in each group qualified for the 2nd Group Stage.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by TheTassieHawk, May 20, 2015.

1. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      ABC & ADF (Group A**) 22 Ton Salute (schmicko, 1-2) vs Aliir Squared (UndAch, 1-2)
      ABC (Group C**) Carcinogenic Goats (Seany G, 1-2) vs Fantasy Addicts (jamabadar, 3-0)
      ADF (Group A) Knights Who Say Ni (grav, 2-1) vs Below the Radar (bjaensch, 2-1)
      ADF (Group D) Simply The Breust (PL, 1-2) vs That's A Paddling (JC, 3-0)
      ADF (Group D) The Old Gillsy (TopHeavy, 1-2) vs THE MEGREMS (PHIL, 1-2)
      CH (Group C**) Kangas Dynasty (tonyc, 1-2) vs Blue Steele (blue steele, 2-1)
      DE (Group E) TheTassieTitans (Iain (BB), 3-0) vs anthak  (Anthak, 1-2)
      FGH (Group G) Tiger of Old (Tylo, 1-2) vs BeastMode (Tailgunner, 2-1)
      FGH (Group H) Ahmed myself Saad (ViQBoZ, 0-3) vs Whoknows? (GRG, 2-1)
      No live matches in the BEG league or Groups B or F this week, as teams will most likely start to qualify for the next stage or be eliminated from the comp

3 of the 5 undefeated teams feature in live matches this week and I am sure PL in Group D and Anthak in Group E will be keen to post upset victories this week and hand JC and Blue Believer their first losses.

The other live match of particular interest is Grav and Bjaensch battling it out in a 1st vs 2nd matchup from Group A with a win taking the victor to a 3-1 record.

The 5 0-3 teams can salvage some pride this week while the 11 1-2 teams (including my own) will be setting their sights on tournament definign matchups, with elimination possible if they fail to grab the 4 points.

Good luck to all of you as the action heats up
    2. jp
      jp
      Second highest total score in my group - but coming 5th :(
    3. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      I appear to be in (very) deep dog do do
    4. BigRon81
      BigRon81
      I liken my team this year to the Tiges and Norf..... High expectations at the start of the season, dont live up to those explications at the beginning of the season but hopefully storm home into the finals.... lol

Then again I could turn out to be Carlton then I'm in all sorts
    5. anthak
      anthak
      i need Gray and NicNat to score 224 between them.
      Love these 'live' matches

6. Crafty Yarni
      Crafty Yarni
      I hereby wave the white flag - STOP SHOOTING
    7. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
    8. anthak
      anthak
      oooh, I fell 3 pts short :(

9. BigRon81
      BigRon81
      Looks like I had a win this week TTH. Unlike our inconsistent Hawks mate!! 'Tis a worry at the moment
    10. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      good luck for next week mate - once this weeks results and ladders are finalised you should be abel to see whetehr a 1pt win next week is enough to get you through to stage 2 or if you need to boost your % a little to make sure
    11. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      2015 TS Champions League Match Day 4 (AFL Rd6) RESULTS,
      Group A Match 73 Knights Who Say Ni (grav) 2022 def by Below the Radar (bjaensch) 2140
      Group A Match 74 Heavymen (HeavyMen) 2154 def Test Eagles (Zander) 2075
      Group A Match 75 22 Ton Salute (schmicko) 2169 def Aliir Squared (UndAch) 2147
      Group B Match 76 EreCumDeOtStepperFC (Mick) 2115 def by On a(Clenbute)Roll (BigRon81) 2164
      Group B Match 77 Malteasers (Malteaser) 2174 def The Floggers (Jason) 2145
      Group B Match 78 Flick My McBean (Seymour Skinner) 2013 def by Team Stripey (stripey) 2202
      Group C Match 79 Kangas Dynasty (tonyc) 2031 def by Blue Steele (blue steele) 2259
      Group C Match 80 Carcinogenic Goats (Seany G) 1972 def by Fantasy Addicts (jamabadar) 1990
      Group C Match 81 Crafty Yarni (Crafty Yarni) 2100 def by Lightning Bolt (thokash) 2133
      Group D Match 82 We’re Flying High (Deano) 2167 def by WhoGibbsa FC (peanuts) 2190
      Group D Match 83 Simply The Breust (PL) 2056 def by That's A Paddling (JC) 2102
      Group D Match 84 The Old Gillsy (TopHeavy) 2110 def by THE MEGREMS (PHIL) 2175
      Group E Match 85 Highly Fevolved (POM) 2248 def Doobia Dominators (Doobs) 2181
      Group E Match 86 Bafingwood FC (stevebbb) 2077 def by Jacko's Dream (Jackos Dream) 2193
      Group E Match 87 TheTassieTitans (Iain (BB)) 2186 def anthak  (Anthak) 2183
      Group F Match 88 Wanderers (LBJ) 2151 def Simonoz (Simonoz) 2066
      Group F Match 89 Thru The Sticks (Nick) 2190 def SuperSquad2015 (TTH) 2111
      Group F Match 90 Ad's Adventurer's (EddieV) 2175 def Wu-Tang Clan (WTC) 2058
      Group G Match 91 Oil, Beef, Hooked (MM) 2177 def Banchang Bullies (choppers) 1998
      Group G Match 92 Tiger of Old (Tylo) 2011 def by BeastMode (Tailgunner) 2048
      Group G Match 93 BLUEBAGGERS (DannyG) 2180 def Mierda (JPK) 2142
      Group H Match 94 SF Bulls (Tyze1) 2083 def by Bastow FC (bgt2110) 2190
      Group H Match 95 Ahmed myself Saad (ViQBoZ) 2124 def by Whoknows? (GRG) 2198
      Group H Match 96 TentCrotchin (jp) 2157 def Wafty Boxes (headmandude) 2116
    12. Iain
      Iain
      Close game Ant, I thought I was done when I saw Gray's score at half time
    13. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      With form counting for nix, round 7 results have the potential to re-shape the Stage 2 qualifiers in most groups.

Group A - Still wide open though the bottom of the table clash between Aliir Squared and Test Eagles may end in tears regardless of the victor. Below the Radar looks set to progress barring a monumental loss to Heavymen (how about that for a moz, bj). My Knights take on 22 Ton in a must win game for both. Final qualifiers hinge heavily (and aptly) on wether Heavymen can snare a win.

Group B - Stripey has pretty much locked in a spot but it is a raffle for the remaining two gigs. Some fairly even scores last week will have everyone nervous. The matchup between Clenbute and Flick My Bean will be pivitol, definitely one to watch.

Group C - 3 qualifiers locked and loaded. Commiserations to Crafty with 3 narrow losses to be sitting bottom.
    14. BigRon81
      BigRon81
      Cheers mate. Looks like it might be close.... Good luck to you too!! You might need a bit of a miracle
    15. TheTassieHawk
    16. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Congrats to Fantasy Addicts (jamabadar), Group D Winner That's A Paddling (JC), TheTassieTitans (Iain - BlueBeliever) and Thru The Sticks (Nick) for recording their 4th consecutive wins this round and making it through to the next Group Stage.

Joining them in stage 2 are Blue Steele (blue steele), Lightning Bolt (thokash), Oil Beef Hooked (MM), Beast Mode (Tailgunner) and Blue Baggers (DannyG) who are each 3-1 after also recording wins on the weekend.

Despite already qualifying these sides should all be chasing wins in Round 7 as Wins, Losses, Draws and % all carry forward for the next stage.

28 teams are still alive chasing 15 remaining spots with around half of these sides having their fate in their own hands and some needing varying degrees of assistance from the Supercoach Gods.

Some of the Groups may well be cliffhangers until the Pies vs Tigers and Lions vs Port Adelaide matches are both completed late on Sunday.

To the teams that are already eliminated I hope you finish off with a win this weekend and come back bigger and better next season if we hold this comp again in 2016.

17. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Continuing on from Grav’s outlook for Groups A, B and C

Group D - That’s A Paddling qualify first in the group and will play in Group One in the 2nd Stage with their opening match in Round 8 against the winner of Group A. The other 5 teams will battle it out for 2nd and 3rd, with Simply The Breust needing a massive win to boost their poor% . If 2nd through 4th all win or if 2 or 3 of them lose then 3rd spot wil come down to %. We’re Flying High plays The Old Gillsy in and The Megrems play That’s a Paddling in the 2 LIVE matches, with Who GibbsaFc also playing Simply The Breust.

Group E - The Tassie Titans are another team to have qualified for the next stage with a 4-0 record after a nailbiting win over the very unfortunate Anthak, while Doobia Domionators are eliminated aafter their 4th consecutive defeat. 2nd Placed Highly Fevolved take on the top ranked team and will qualify for the next stage with a win or a loss to either Jacko’s Dream or Bafingwood FC. Anthak plays Jacko’s Dream this week and will nudge ahead of their opponents on % if they win by 3 points or more but will also require Doobia Dominators to do them a favour aginst Bafingwood FC.

Group F - Through the Sticks is the 6th team to qualify after smashing my side handily on the weekend, while our NY based participant and 2011 Champion of Champions Simonoz has had his campaign officially consigned to the scrapheap. The SuperSquad will be eliminated if Wanderers can defeat Ad’s Adventurers in the first LIVE matchup, but have a small chance of qualifying if that match goes in their favour and they can manage a 15 point win against Wu Tang Clan in the other LIVE matchup. Ad’s Adventurer’s will go through if SuperSquad defeats Wu Tang Clan or if they can defeat Wanderers or keep any loss to 120 points or less.

Group G - Late-Late-Late callup “Oil, Beef, Hooked” (try saying that with an Irish accent), Beast Mode and BlueBaggers complete the 2nd Stage qualifiers after Round 6, while 2013 Masters Series Champion Tigers Of Old, Banchang Bullies and Mierda have been eliminated. OBH and the Baggers clash in a LIVE match while Beast Mode takes on Mierda with an outside chance of snagging top spot ahead of the winner of the aforementioned match if they can score a triple digit margin of victory.

Group H - SF Bulls, Bastow FC, WhoKnows and Tent Cotchin battle it out for the three 2nd Round spots while Wafty Boxes and Ahmed Myself Saad are eliminated. Tent Cotchin wil be looking to win and by a decent margin to boost their % and hope that the already eliminated Wafty Boxes or Ahmed MySelf Saad can spring an upset against Bastow Fc or Who Nows in the 2 LIVE matches in Group H.

18. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      nice summary Grav

in Group B 2nd plays 4th and 3rd plays 5th with the winners qualifying through to the next stage, as you mentioned Stripey should make it through unless they get smashed by 400 plus against J-Dogs mob

and how Fantasy Addicts managed to snatch a win in Group C with the 2nd lowest tally of the 48 teams is beyond me!!

19. anthak
      anthak
      great summaries from both of you. much appreciated!

20. anthak
      anthak
      what do you mean 'if' :)