Champions League (ORFFL & ORFFA)

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by thokash, Feb 11, 2013.

1. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

So I remember a while ago our fearless commissioner brought up the idea of a Champions League competition (ie. best of the best) between the ORFFL and ORFFA. I assume that thread has long disappeared since moving to the new site, so just wanted to start getting some discussion rolling in here. [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]ORFFA members obviously welcome and encouraged to post. [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]
    [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]H probably has an idea of how he wants to run it, so might wait for him to pop his head in before we get things moving. Lots to discuss though before the start of the season so thought I'd get in now, especially if we want to include the NAB cup somehow (unlikely).
    P.S. Why hasn't there been any interest by other TS members in forming another league? If you are reading this you don't know what you are missing!

2. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

If I recall correctly the Champions League idea got shouted down by certain sections of the ORFFL on the grounds that it would corrupt the league. In so many words.

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Not interested as a few ORFFA teams are stronger than ORFFL simply because a few teams didn't really care and they got easier pickings. We're not working from the same pool so basically stick to your own game ORFFA and when a spot becomes available in the ORFFL I'm sure you'll be the first ones filling the vacancy.

4. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Lucas wrote:
    Not interested as a few ORFFA teams are stronger than ORFFL simply because a few teams didn't really care and they got easier pickings. We're not working from the same pool so basically stick to your own game ORFFA and when a spot becomes available in the ORFFL I'm sure you'll be the first ones filling the vacancy. This has more inaccuracies than a Craig Thomson expense account slip..

5. EddieV

EddieV Active Member

I would be up for playinga champions league format maybe knockout like eliminator with who ever wants to play from ORFFL and ORFFA

6. I was ready to play with myself in the Champions League comp, so whatever happens I'm happy

7. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

That's a somewhat disappointing attitude I have to say. I do hope the original post was made with tongue in cheek.

8. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Lenh191 wrote: Lucas wrote: Not interested as a few ORFFA teams are stronger than ORFFL simply because a few teams didn't really care and they got easier pickings. We're not working from the same pool so basically stick to your own game ORFFA and when a spot becomes available in the ORFFL I'm sure you'll be the first ones filling the vacancy. This has more inaccuracies than a Craig Thomson expense account slip.. This is the post I meant, in case my if my other post wasn't clear.

9. Kel

Kel Moderator

You can count the Tarwin Lower Pigs in if it goes ahead.

10. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

<p style='font: inherit;]Hypothetically, if such a concept were to happen in the future, what would interested parties like the formation to be? How many/which teams? How many matches? etc.? <p style='font: inherit;] <p style='font: inherit;]I think the idea I had last year went something like: <p style='font: inherit;] <p style='font: inherit;]- To be held from R14 onwards. <p style='font: inherit;]- Top8 teams from each league, either from last year for the ORFFL, or from midseason for both. <p style='font: inherit;]- 4 seeded groups of 4 teams play each other twice. <p style='font: inherit;]- Top 2 from each group progress to 1 game knockout stage <p style='font: inherit;]- 8&amp;gt;4&amp;gt;2&amp;gt;1 <p style='font: inherit;] <p style='font: inherit;]That would be my suggestion, hypothetically speaking... <p style='font: inherit;]

11. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

Is that the way soccer/football Champions League works? I think I like the pool games and then a final 8 stepladder. I would assume you would have to take top 8 at the midseason point, because ORFFA didn't really have a full/fair season last year. That being said, teams with a tough first half draw get the short end of the stick, but can't please everyone. The year after though I would prefer it based on a full years results as this seems the fairest method. Maybe we can hold a warmup tournament in the 3 bye rounds when it kinda sucks for fantasy players? There got to be something fun we can do R11-R13.

12. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

thokash wrote:
    Is that the way soccer/football Champions League works? I think I like the pool games and then a final 8 stepladder. I would assume you would have to take top 8 at the midseason point, because ORFFA didn't really have a full/fair season last year. That being said, teams with a tough first half draw get the short end of the stick, but can't please everyone. The year after though I would prefer it based on a full years results as this seems the fairest method. Maybe we can hold a warmup tournament in the 3 bye rounds when it kinda sucks for fantasy players? There got to be something fun we can do R11-R13. In general terms, that's how the European Champions League works. They have more teams, more groups, more matches etc.
    Regarding R11-13, it's called midseason trade period and the midseason draft. Who wants to play matches during bye rounds? It's a farce.

13. Sounds good to me, Queenstown have (based on 2012 form) a pretty easy run in the first half of the year before a tough looking road to the finals

14. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I am a fan of the concept, and the suggested approach.

15. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

BlueBeliever wrote:
    Sounds good to me, Queenstown have (based on 2012 form) a pretty easy run in the first half of the year before a tough looking road to the finals Sorry mate, was not intentional believe me :)

16. bama

bama Active Member

Champions league idea sounds good to me in what ever format you decide.
    Sounds like some in the ORFFL need to have there attitude readjusted!

17. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I am interested to hear more about this. Not sure exactly how it would work at the moment though.

18. J_C

J_C Guest

I remember chatting about this concept during the initial ORFFA draft as a way to generate some interaction between leagues. I think the idea has merit.
    I think H's hypothetical structure above works out pretty well. And you just group teams based on seeding - 1 & 8 from one league with 4 & 5 from the other, then 2 & 7 from one with 3 & 6 from the other and so on...
    It's just a question of whether you want to do it at the start of the year or after the bye rounds.

19. Tino

Tino Member

PBR wont qualify. Haha.

20. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

What is the ORFFL and how do you enter?