Darraweit Guim Dirigibles

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, May 7, 2012.

1. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Chris, Darraweit have got an abundance of midfielders including not one but two young ex-Devils in Ledger and Hunter. It's an extremely young squad with 20 players 24 and under.Massive responsability for Ivan Maric being the Club captain and sole ruckman, he has proven to be a great get at selection 49 overall and the 13th ruckman in the initial ORFFA Draft.

2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I didn't realise that Mr Ledger was also an ex-Devil as well ... I actually drafted him over someone I had my eye on for ages (and who remained undrafted) so hopefully he repays the faith a little.

3. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

The Cradle Mountain Devils have only delisted six players in total, four before the 2013 Pre-Season Draft and two before the 2013 Mid-Season Draft. Ledger was the last player I decided to delist before the 2013 PSD and Hunter was the last player I decided to delist before the 2013 MSD so it is interesting that they have bothended up at Darraweit. Cradle Mountain wishHunter and Ledger all the best at Darraweit.

4. chris88

Thanks for the kind wishes! Lachie Hunter is one of 3 new players making their debuts this week - he, Andy Otten and Mark Hutchings will play their first games. In addition, Justin Westhoff will debut as a Dirigible.

5. chris88

Dirigibles Finals Shock Darraweit Guim into the last four of ORFFA finals
    Darraweit Guim is celebrating after its beloved Dirigibles have scraped through to the second round of the ORFFA finals with a win over Charlie's Opening on the weekend. In what amounted to a minor upset, the Guim notched up a 99 point win over its higher ranked opponents. And with upsets aplenty over the weekend, the ORFFA premiership race is now wide open. After a tumultuous mid-season draft and trade period, saw around a dozen changes to the the Dirigibles' playing stocks, coach Chris88 admitted just making the finals was a little unexpected. 'We didn't think we'd make the finals to be honest. The trading of a number of experienced players for a batch of young, untried talent was done with a view to next year and beyond,' he said. 'To actually make the finals, and then win one, is well beyond what we expected.' Chris88 paid special note to the efforts of captain Ivan Maric - who has continued to lead bravely from the front despite being less than 100% fit - as well as youngsters Ben Cunnington, Michael Walters and Alex Rance who have shone in recent weeks and played great games on the weekend. 'We made a conscious decision to play and promote youngsters, and while our veterans have been wonderful, our more youthful players have really been great in recent times'. Team selection for the second week of the finals may also be a challenge, with a number of players - including Shane Edwards, and mid-season draftees Mark Hutchings and Paul Seedsman - a big chance to return.

6. chris88

The Darraweit Guim team to take on the mighty Birdsville Battlers in this weekends ORFFA semi final has been selected: DEF: Rance, Frawley, McKenzie, Otten (R Thompson) MID: Cunnington, Foley, Walker, Harvey (Newnes) R: Maric FWD: Westhoff, Vickery, Walters, Edwards (Bewick) I/C: Betts, B Hill (A Kennedy) In: Frawley Edwards Out R Thompson Newnes Regrettably Mark Hutchings and Paul Seedsman were unable to get up for the match, but the Blimps do welcome back James Frawley and Shane Edwards.

7. J_C

J_C Guest

Hi Chris As you can see there's quite a line up forming already to get into the ground, so you may want to let the travelling Dirrigibles supporters know that there could be some delays when they get to the ground. Cheers! [​IMG]

8. chris88

Darraweit Guim in Shock as Dirigibles Reach Grand Final The Darraweit Guim Dirigibles will play in the ORFFA grand final next weekend after a shock four-point win over Birdsville in the weekend's preliminary final. Celebrations have continued into the night in the township after the stunning result, with the township's pub the focus of the fun. Several hundred residents turned out to welcome the players when they returned home on the team bus late on Sunday night. Skipper Ivan Maric wore and ear-to-ear grin as he disembarked, thanking fans for their support. And while he, fellow big man Ty Vickery and veteran Brent Harvey were among the best players, special plaudits were reserved for youngsters Paul Seedsman and Jack Newnes. Seedsman, a late inclusion, was just about best afield in his first final while Newnes again filled in admirably for an absent teammate (this week Andrew Walker), scoring vital points to help his side. Coach Chris88 admitted he and many of the players were stunned at the win, but were enjoying the ride from seventh spot on the ORFFA ladder all the way to the grand final against reigning premier Foul Bay. He said his team would enter the contest as underdog despite a recent win over the Chickens: 'Foul Bay has improved dramatically since we beat them a few weeks back - they are near to full strength and we will have to be at our absolute best to have a chance. 'We will give it our best shot. We are happy to have made it this far, and the ride has been fun.'

9. chris88

As the Dirigibles prepare for a grand final tilt, the club's personnel and recruitment staff have the difficult task of balancing the excitement of an unexpected grand final berth with the need to manage the Blimps' list in the lead-up to the coming post-season trade period. The Dirigibles have emphasised to fellow clubs and recruiting managers that they are willing and able to accept trade proposals and expressions of interest for players in the coming week. With confirmation that veteran Brent Harvey has signed on for one more year with the Guim, all player contracts appear to be in order. List analysis has uncovered a need for another ruckman, as well as the possible need for another defender. Midfield and forward groups appear to be on track, but there's always a possibility of movement. Darraweit Guim management have confirmed they will be shopping both first and second round draft picks for suitable players if they are on offer. Team management's efforts in overhauling the list and bringing in 12-15 young players during the mid-season draft, expansion draft and 2013 pre-season draft have left the Dirigibles in a position where a good price can be paid for a good player who fills a particular need. Darraweit also have extra third and fourth round draft picks in the 2014 pre-season draft due to previous trades involving Matthew Boyd and Nick Dal Santo. A full player list is posted below for reference, with player ages in brackets. Recruiters have also identified a number of possible trade targets and will start approaching teams in the coming week or so. <table width='773' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' border='0]
    <td style='height: 15pt;]

<td class='xl63' style='height: 15pt;]Defenders <td class='xl63]Midfielders <td class='xl63]Rucks <td class='xl63]Forwards

<td style='height: 15pt;]

<td style='height: 15pt;]Trent McKenzie (21) Andrew Walker (M/F) (27) Ivan Maric (27) Justin Westhoff (26)

<td style='height: 15pt;]Alex Rance (23) Ben Cunnington (21) Andrew Walker (M/F) (27)

<td style='height: 15pt;]Luke McPharlin (31) Brent Harvey (M/F) (35) Brent Harvey (M/F) (35)

<td style='height: 15pt;]Rory Thompson (22) Nathan Foley (27) Michael Walters (22)

<td style='height: 15pt;]Andy Otten (24) Dom Cassisi (30) Shane Edwards (24)

<td style='height: 15pt;]James Frawley (24) Paul Seedsman (21) Eddie Betts (26)

<td style='height: 15pt;]Adam Kennedy (20) Brad Hill (19) Tyrone Vickery (23)

<td style='height: 15pt;] Kyle Martin (22) Rohan Bewick (23)

<td style='height: 15pt;] Jack Newnes (20)

<td style='height: 15pt;] Lachlan Hunter (18)

<td style='height: 15pt;] Dom Tyson (20)

<td style='height: 15pt;] Jesse Stringer (22)

<td style='height: 15pt;] Mark Hutchings (22)

<td style='height: 15pt;] Tom Ledger (21)

10. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Chris,
    Compare that with the list I threw up in the Charlie's Opening Fish'n'Chip shop window and let me know if we can organise a happy meal out of the two

11. chris88

Joint best and fairest winners announced Veterans Brent Harvey and Andrew Walker have informally shared the Darraweit Guim best and fairest award for 2013. The Dirigibles have previously not awarded a best and fairest award, mainly because we haven't really been bothered in the past to tally votes and scores. But this year the team has decided to hand out an award based on a combination of year-long consistency, Les W votes, impact in games and 'the vibe'. Andrew Walker started the year in brilliant form and led the Les W medal in the early going. While his scoring tapered a bit near the end of the season, his efforts throughout 2013 have been recognised. Brent Harvey defied his age and a six-game suspension early in the year to play some brilliant football and finish in the top dozen or so of the Les W medal. We congratulate them both, along with third placegetter Ben Cunnington, and Alex Rance, who has come fourth. Both these young players have been wonderful for the Guim in 2013. Club captain Ivan Maric shared fifth place with mid-season recruit Justin Westhoff the latter having a brilliant year at both Darraweit Guim and Waikikamoocow.

12. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I strongly believe that 'the vibe' should have an official role in the awarding of any serious/tooserious accolade..

• Like Like x 1
  13. chris88

Well, the crowds have come out for Darraweit's final training session before the weekend's grand final. /Portals/0/User%20Images/FootyCrowd.jpg We haven't told the players that we have bused in people from surrounding districts, as it would perhaps put a dampener on proceedings. The selection committee will meet tonight to select the Grand Final team - still a few places up for grabs.

14. chris88

<div class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] ORFFA GRAND FINAL RESULTS Foul Bay Def: Pearce (42), Ibbotson (0), Harwood (82), Yarran (91) Mid: Dangerfield (131), Selwood (127), Liberatore (159), Kelly (82) Ruck: Mumford (159) Fwd: Pavlich (56), Stokes (106), Bartel (156), Dahlhaus (72) I/C: Roughead (118), Thomas (90) TOTAL: 1471 Darraweit Guim Def: McKenzie (73), Thompson (70), Otten (126), Frawley (59) Mid: Harvey (127), Cunnington (84), Foley (81),Seedsman (85) Ruck: Maric (68) Fwd: Westhoff (132), Vickery (83), Walker (123), Betts (87) I/C: Hill (67), Rance (71) TOTAL: 1336 A brave Darraweit Guim effort has not been enough to snatch an upset grand final victory, outclassed by an impressive Foul Bay outfit by 135 points. Rank underdogs after an unlikely progression through the ORFFA finals, Darraweit Guim found the going tough against the reigning premiers from Foul Bay, yet still had more than their fair share of highlights. The Dirigibles hung in for the entire match, even though a number of our younger players had some not-unexpected nerves affect their scoring. The absence of Walters, Edwards and the experienced McPharlin was keenly felt in the wash-up, though the trio's presence on field would have been unlikely to have affected the overall result - with the Chooks simply too good. Justin Westhoff played a stunning game, top scoring for Darraweit wih 132 points. Veterans Harvey (127) and Walker (123) played very well, while defender Andy Otten put in a season best performance with 126 points. Coach Chris88 congratulated Foul Bay on a great win, and said he simply could not be prouder of his squad, and especially the efforts of the youngsters to help propel Darraweit Guim into the grand final. He also noted the efforts of squad members Lachie Hunter and Tom Ledger, who both scored brilliantly at the lower level on the weekend and look set to make a mark in 2014. Chris88 also thanked the ORFFA as a whole for a great season. The league is really going places and should improve again in 2014. Further announcements on the team will be made in coming weeks. It is understood trade discussions are continuing in earnest, while on-field leadership positions are to be examined as well.

15. chris88

With the 2013 season done, Darraweit Guim has decided to make some changes to its on-field leadership team We're pleased to announce that Brent Harvey will be taking over as captain of the Guim in what might be his last year of football. Harvey will replace foundation captain and mullet aficianado Ivan Maric, who will serve as vice-captain in 2014 are voluntarily stepping aside as skipper in order to concentrate on his form and fitness. Deputy vice-captains will be Alex Rance and Trent McKenzie, while Justin Westhoff and Andrew Walker will also be part of the leadership group.

16. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

I sense, Chris, that you are doing a Chook to keep the premiership window firmly open. Would you consider a packet of potato chips and perhaps a fourth round draft pick for Mr. Martin? Edit: The only players I have on offer are all young and am assuming that you prefer a pick rather than a development project. Anyway, let me know your desires, either here or by PM.

17. chris88

TerryinBangkok wrote: I sense, Chris, that you are doing a Chook to keep the premiership window firmly open. Would you consider a packet of potato chips and perhaps a fourth round draft pick for Mr. Martin? Edit: The only players I have on offer are all young and am assuming that you prefer a pick rather than a development project. Anyway, let me know your desires, either here or by PM. Hey TiB - sorry, I've not been around the past couple of days - but I shall get back in touch ASAP. I'm keeping the premiership window open, but not at the expense of young players. The one young I have traded away in the past 12 months - Mr Tomlinson - is one perhaps I should've retained. But ultimately I got something good in return. I like chips, so I'll drop you a PM.

18. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Tsk, tsk. I always had a closet desire for Rory Thompson. Reckoned he had 'something'. And then Jason managed to convince me (or at least sow the seeds of doubt) that he was a spud. My current view is he will be a top 5 DEF within 2-3 years.

19. chris88

Darraweit Guim would like to welcome some new players to The Paddock while at the same time farewelling some of our loyal servants. Our arrivals during the ongoing trade period are: Nic Naitanui - 23yo R/F - averaged 96ppg in 11 games during 2013. Stephen Coniglio - 19yo MID - averaged 74ppg in 18 games during 2013. Kane Cornes - 29yo MID - averaged 105ppg in 21 games in 2013. Thus far, we have bid the following players farewell and wish them all the best in their future endeavours: Ben Cunnington - 22yo MID - averaged 96ppg in 20 games during 2013. Rory Thompson - 22yo DEF - averaged 69ppg in 21 games during 2013. Jesse Stringer - 22yo MID - averaged 49ppg in 7 games during 2013. Kyle Martin - 23yo MID - averaged 75ppg in 4 games during 2013. We are looking forward to the remainder of the trade period, as well as preparing for the pre-season draft early next year.

20. chris88

New recruits tour The Guim Darraweit Guim's three new recruits have enjoyed their first tour of The Paddock and its facilities, and say they are looking forward to the 2014 season. Nic Naitanui, Kane Cornes and Stephen Coniglio were shown around the clubrooms by long-time club captain Ivan Maric, and newly-named 2014 season captain Brent Harvey. Maric said he was looking forward to working with Nic Nat in the ruck after being forced to ruck one-out throughout 2013. Maric and Nic Nat also compared hairstyles, with Big Ivan recommending the town's barber as one of the best he'd been to while setting up an appointment for the young giant. Meanwhile Cornes has already taken the 19yo Coniglio under his wing, with all parties hopeful of real improvement from the high draft pick in the coming year. Cornes himself is hopeful of another good year of form in the twilight of a great career. As the ORFFA trade period continues, Darraweit has placed its first round PSD draft pick on the table, declaring it available for a good trade.