David Hale, A massive POD?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by nolanb13, Mar 23, 2012.

1. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Good point weazel, he has never been on my SC radar until this year. My decision in picking him is based on nab form (risky I know), and the fact that Hawthorn have nobody else to support him until Bailey returns. So theory is the added responsibility is the reason for his nab form and he'll carry that into at least the first part of the season.

2. Jasmine

Jasmine Moderator Staff Member

Between Rounds 13 and 24 last year, Hale played 11 games at an average of 87. He was subbed off in the Round 24 game against the Suns when he scored 36. Take out that game and his average over his last 10 games is an impressive 92. In the finals he scored 29 against Geelong (beaten badly by Harry Taylor), then 124 against Sydney, then 74 against Collingwood.

Between Rounds 1 to 8, Hale played 6 games at an average of 53. He was subbed off in the Round 8 game with a knee injury and only scored 28 in that game, but even taking that score out, his average over his first 5 games was only 58 with a high score of 92 (with a season high 19 disposals).

By the way, someone by the name of Jarryd Roughead played all games up to Round 12 when he snapped his achilles in the third quarter against Geelong. He missed rounds 13 to 24 but was playing in the VFL on the weekend and his return to senior football is very close ...

3. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Thankyou Jasmine for these stats, making me feel a lot better about my decision.
    It is also worthy to note that recently there was an article in the Herald Sun or The Age(can't remember which, not important), and Hawks coach Clarkson said that Roughead would not be playing in the ruck this year at all, and that he has no intention of him playing there unless absolutely necessary.

So with Hale in form he should get 80-100% of the ruck duties, with Roughead worst case scenario taking a small amount of time off him in the forward line. So I just have to hope this works out.
    If Hale does retain his early season form, and given he is the only ruck at this stage, then I see him as a great POD who can be traded out mid season and turned into a cox or sandi to then be forgotten about for the rest of the season.
    Quick question though, is Mcauly (sorry if thats incorrect spelling) a ruckman? I remember he played a few games for Brisbane last year but not sure if he was rucking or not, I'm guessing Hawthorn promoted him off their rookie list for this purpose, I just hope he doesn't take much game time away from Hale.

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

It's an interesting one Jasmine

Had Bailey not got injured, I'd have thought Hale = massive Spud

However, Bailey did get injured as per usual, Roughead will most likely be used up forward than another ruck injury being risked.

Therefore Hale is most likely to be the best ruck until Bailey resumes. The question is how will Hale-Roughead-McCauley work?

I suspect it may not work, and that McCauley will be playing seconds footy. I'd suggest if push came to shove, Hale would get a run, because of his good finish to 2011 and his good start in the NAB of 2012.

5. Jasmine

Jasmine Moderator Staff Member

Lucas, the question you ask is the million dollar question. If McCauley plays, will Hawthorn play a forward line consisting of Franklin, Roughead and Hale? If so, what portion of the SC pie will be left for Hale?

And McCauley plays as a ruckman H_Dons. He played three games last year and didn't hit the scoreboard once. His best game was against the Saints with 18 disposals and 36 hitouts for 88 SC points. The other games he had 14 disposals with 17 hitouts against the Tigers and then 8 disposals and 9 hitouts against the Bulldogs.

6. Lucas

I'd have to say no team would play that tall up forward (unless Franklin plays midfield/wing). Hale and Roughead aren't just tall, they are also slow and would be burned on counter attack.

I could see McCauley playing with Hale this week, but if Roughead returns (I think realistic might be Easter Monday v Geelong or even a week later v Crows - April 15), then I'd probably have Hale as number 1 ruck and try to get a chopout from someone else. Not Roughy immediately, but I'm sure the Hawks could throw someone in there. Hodge?

7. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Reports in today's papers gave Roughead no chance of playing R1.

8. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Its possible that this week the hawks will only take Hale into the match, with Macauley as emergency. Since Hale is only going up against one ruck in Jolly.

I do agree though Lucas, I can see Macauley playing a few games with Hale, especially while Bailey is out.
    Will be interesting to see how Hale goes, he's locked in for me in R1 so fingers crossed.

9. bkp130

bkp130 Member

I have hale in at R2 with mumford in R1. Hopefully given the injury to bailey he can continue his preseason form and be a massive gun. time will tell though

10. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Jasmine, thanks for the stats, I love your mind!
    & Lucas, agreed, up forward, Hale & Roughead are slow, turning circles of boeings slow.
    Either, as a main ruck, should score well, but not so much as forwards,
    Am still deciding on Rucks myself,
    any word on when Roughead's due back?
    That'll be my biggest influence on whether or not Hale gets a guernsey.

11. Das Phoenix

Das Phoenix Guest

Reckon one of Hale or McCauley would have to play forward to help "release" Franklin and given Hale is arguably the better ruck I reckon he will be the ruckman for quite some time yet.....does that make him a good pick maybe!
    The rucks have a long tough season and much like Mummy in Round 1 verses Giles, most of them just coasted along, so maybe Hale's NAB numbers were a little inflated. Other teams will treat Giles as a resting ruck opportunity when playing GWS, not so when playing Hawthorn....they will attempt to hammer Hale for the all important first strike.
    Guess that might keep Giles numbers quite respectable.
    But as we all know a ruck gets a bonus 50 points just for staying on the ground, so that gives Hale a handy headstart as the Maximus Ruck.

12. Moblets

Moblets New Member

I'm holding off on Hale as a starter. If he continues the NAB form in the first couple of rounds then i'll snao him up. I still think Hale has the ability to be too hit or miss. will score a couple of hundreds when he kicks goals but throw that in with a few 50's. Anyway those that have him good luck.

13. Lucas

bkp130 why not have Hale as R4 and Giles into R2?

If anything goes wrong you can trade out a ruckman for a forward by using Hale's multi position ability and only one trade (new rules)

14. Lucas

<blockquote>Quote from Supercoach_Junkie on March 26, 2012, 22:46
    Other teams will treat Giles as a resting ruck opportunity when playing GWS, not so when playing Hawthorn....they will attempt to hammer Hale for the all important first strike.
    Guess that might keep Giles numbers quite respectable.
    But as we all know a ruck gets a bonus 50 points just for staying on the ground, so that gives Hale a handy headstart as the Maximus Ruck.</blockquote>

Others will treat Giles as a resting opportunity? Why not play Seaby then and keep Mumford on ice?

15. matto76

matto76 New Member

I dont think Hale is POD alot have him in r2 atm, think 22&#37; of teams have him. Further more how will brock impact on his score

16. hellsangel

hellsangel New Member

lucas did you mean hale at F4? and giles at R2

17. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Is there any way to know the percentage of teams that have a player yet?

Because if Hale is no longer a POD, I'm happy to go Kreuz or the big sauce.

The talk of Macauley being brought in this week is sapping the little confidence I have in Hale.

18. Das Phoenix

Das Phoenix Guest

@Lucas..probably because it was the season opener SYD/GWS super match, so it would have looked a bit shabby if Mummy stayed home and watched it on telly. All stars had to be present and accounted for.

19. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from H_Dons on March 27, 2012, 08:51
    Is there any way to know the percentage of teams that have a player yet?

Because if Hale is no longer a POD, I'm happy to go Kreuz or the big sauce.

The talk of Macauley being brought in this week is sapping the little confidence I have in Hale. </blockquote>
    I think if you subscribe to SC Gold some &#37;owned information is available. But I haven't done so, so I can't confirm.

20. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

This in today on Hale and McCauley's workload.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/rookie-has-first-crack-at-darren-jolly/story-e6frf9jf-1226310748829
    In NAB rnd 4, Hale got 20 hit outs, Broc got 9. Anyone think that ratio will change in the season proper?

I'm thinking of closing down Seaworld and getting Hale in instead as F5...