Diamonds in the rough 2013

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Yamumluvsbigcox, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Corks

Corks Member

JJ Kennedy and Mark LeCras from out west could be good speculator tips up forward if they show anything pre-season.
    Any word on Nathan Vardy?

2. gogonz

gogonz New Member

I was keen on LeCras too but @ $390k, probably a bit overpriced to make any money and he's no guarantee of being a keeper either. If he's playing midfield in the NAB cup I might reconsider. Kennedy is $280k and should make some $$'s but will be fairly erratic I think. Like most KPP fwds. 130 this week, 56 next.

3. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

The difficult thing is, with so many Eagles players returning from injury, how will the points get distributed? Some will gain but some will lose.
    So it's a difficult choice when it comes to picking between Gaff, Shuey, LeCras, Embley, Kennedy etc

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Leave a big enough slice of the pie for Darling, I say!

5. Wrighty

Wrighty New Member

Luke Ball got to be a bargain at 300k

6. DC

DC Member

Wrighty wrote:
    Luke Ball got to be a bargain at 300k If your looking at Ball may as well look at Moloney too... who has more upside? a player coming back from a year off with injuryor a player changing clubs looking for a fresh start

7. Blue 17

Blue 17 New Member

Q1: LeCras Vs Kennedy? Q2: Thornton v Bock? Q3: Fyfe v Hartlett? (more diamond in the bag full of gold...) Q3: Buddy v Pavlich? (this not so much diamond in the rough as 'Emerald' Vs 'Round Brilliant'... I think?) ...for Supercoach?

8. jibba

jibba Member

Monfries anyone? Priced at 66 I think he provides good value
    Likely to spend most of the time in the midfield Last year Ebert averaged 100 (after previously averaging 60-70 at WCE) after moving to port and spending full time in the midfield Monfries had a couple of sub-affected games and forward tag roles in 2012 (therefore underpriced), averaged 83 in 2011 Hearing good things about him in the preseason reports at Port Port have a great draw to start the season, play GC, Melb, GWS in first 4 rounds (potentially 3 tons), only verse top 4 side once in the first half of the season

9. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

Angus Morfrees has done a hammy and ruled out for rest of nab cup would have been nice to see if he was playing midfield role could have been an astute pick .

10. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

Anyone know how NDS ore season has gone ? A performer in the past and with no Goddard he might get a bigger slice of the SC pie .

11. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

jibba wrote:
    Monfries anyone? Priced at 66 I think he provides good value
    Likely to spend most of the time in the midfield Last year Ebert averaged 100 (after previously averaging 60-70 at WCE) after moving to port and spending full time in the midfield Monfries had a couple of sub-affected games and forward tag roles in 2012 (therefore underpriced), averaged 83 in 2011 Hearing good things about him in the preseason reports at Port Port have a great draw to start the season, play GC, Melb, GWS in first 4 rounds (potentially 3 tons), only verse top 4 side once in the first half of the season

Jibba - I am predicting Angus Wantsfrees to be the big mid price mover of 2013 from Port, as I predicted Ebert to do so last season. Will play about 2/3rds game time in midfield (Hinkley is developing the Port squad to be able to throw a variety of players through the mids with numerous rotations. Can realistically see Gus going 85-90 which is well worth his price tag as an M/F player!!!

12. Bearfly

Yamumluvsbigcox wrote:
    Angus Morfrees has done a hammy and ruled out for rest of nab cup would have been nice to see if he was playing midfield role could have been an astute pick . Yamum - Gus only done a minor strain during game 2 on Sunday, but still managed to finish the game off - club docs say it is only a 2 week injury and Hinkley stated that he was already going to be rested from NAB round 2 and possibly round 3 anyway as he has been amongst the top performers on the track all summer. Even in game 1 on Sunday he played predominately mid (as he did inexhibition match in London). Everything in Hinkley's preparation points to him playing around 2/3rds game time in the mids.

13. grav

grav Guest

Yamumluvsbigcox wrote:
    Anyone know how NDS ore season has gone ? A performer in the past and with no Goddard he might get a bigger slice of the SC pie . Had seen some detailed analysis of him on another site, short of it was that he generally goes v. big vs poor sides. given the Saints easy draw early on, sounds like NDS might be good value starter at his price. that said, no idea how his pre season has gone

14. Mayne2Mundy

Mayne2Mundy New Member

Mr. Bear, Sir. With the move of Hartlett to the back half and injuries up forward with Monfries, Gray and Butcher, do you see this as opening up a temporary window for some of the younger players, and if so, who do you think is most likely (apart from Ollie)?

15. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Yamumluvsbigcox wrote:
    Anyone know how NDS ore season has gone ? A performer in the past and with no Goddard he might get a bigger slice of the SC pie .
    Nick is a gun, he wont improve on last year, but he wont drop back either, how he fits depends on your strat, but he is mr reliable.

16. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Thoughts on Baguely from the Dons? Seemed alright in the NAB Cup, could be a nice mid pricer down back, perhaps?

17. Bearfly

Mayne2Mundy wrote:
    Mr. Bear, Sir. With the move of Hartlett to the back half and injuries up forward with Monfries, Gray and Butcher, do you see this as opening up a temporary window for some of the younger players, and if so, who do you think is most likely (apart from Ollie)? Hey there M2M, Might have to firstly correct a misconception in your query. Hartlett hasn't just recently moved to the back half for this season, he played a fair whack down there last season, and has had brief stints down there prior to last season. As for your query regarding the injured forwards - Gus Wantsfrees will be lining up in round 1 no worries, Gray was always looking at about a round 4 return and Butcher isn't far off (either playing AFL or SANFL). On top of that, Wantsfrees can't be considered a forward for Port, he has always been earmarked for a midfield role since they traded for him (will play around 2/3rds game time in the mids. As for younger guys - Neade is a strong chance to get a chance up forward, Wines also is likely to contend for a spot early (and his form, training and ability will see him get a decent run in the mids). If Butcher doesn't get himself in to contention early, watch out for Mason Shaw, he could be as big a smoky selection as Neade.
    But the biggest pointer I can give you is to keep up to speed with who is selected for the remaining NAB games - especially the final 2 weeks as this will give a bigger indication as to who Hinkley considers his best 22.

18. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

I don't take many mid pricers into my team anymore. Only allow for a couple. But if you were to pick one mid pricer, who do you think is more likely to turn out as the higher scoring player? Monfries - $356,700 Yarran - $362,000

19. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

It all depends on what Mick wants Yarran to do. If he becomes the Blues Heath Shaw he will go large often. If not could be Mfrees will be a more consistent scorer.

20. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

I'm liking Nat Fyfe if his shoulders can hold together. And maybe Barlow as well. Both not really cheapies at the circa $500k area, but I like the idea of Barlow getting the ball inside and dishing it to The Knife on the outside. Shades of Lenny dishing the ball to Dal and Joey not that long ago in Lying's previous incarnation. My 2 cents and YMMV, Bill