Diamonds in the rough

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Yamumluvsbigcox, Dec 23, 2011.

1. cdcanman

cdcanman New Member

@ Mattoc Beau Wilkes will slot strait into the key back position that zac Dawson left . Scott watters was a big factor in him getting drafted by the saints I don't think they did it for him to play Vfl </blockquote>

Re: Beau Wilkes
    Couldn't agree more, they have no choice but to play him. If you glance over their list, they have virtually no key backs. They relied on the undersized Gwilt last year, but he is coming over a major injury, and not yet in full training (correct me if I am wrong anyone). For those with decent memories, Wilkes actually looked really good in his first year. He got some big jobs and performed admirably. His job security makes him a must have. Even moderate performance = guaranteed money

2. grav

grav Guest

re: Porps
    Still sittin on the fence with Porps, but this post has me semi-interested.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/porps-ready-to-reignite-in-2012/story-e6frecoc-1226262752073

Could be all hype, bluff or +ve spin as i'm sure the cows (sic) coaching staff wouldnt openly bag their players in our illustrious tabloid!

We'll see how he fares in the NAB with a few assasins in defence lookin to test out the surgeons handy work

3. Dirty_Whorks

Dirty_Whorks New Member

Yamum - have you heard anything regarding K. Stevens given there's a place in the mids up for grabs at W.C.?

4. AchillesII

AchillesII New Member

Players not yet mentioned (at least not in this thread), but worth a mention:

Beau Waters,
    Nic Nat,
    Jono Brown,
    Winderlich,
    HaMac,
    Orren Stephenson,

...ready, and go!

5. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from cdcanman on February 5, 2012, 17:33
    @ Mattoc Beau Wilkes will slot strait into the key back position that zac Dawson left . Scott watters was a big factor in him getting drafted by the saints I don't think they did it for him to play Vfl

Couldn't agree more, they have no choice but to play him. If you glance over their list, they have virtually no key backs. They relied on the undersized Gwilt last year, but he is coming over a major injury, and not yet in full training (correct me if I am wrong anyone). For those with decent memories, Wilkes actually looked really good in his first year. He got some big jobs and performed admirably. His job security makes him a must have. Even moderate performance = guaranteed money</blockquote>

Tom Simpkin is still ahead of him to take the full back role, or Sam Gilbert has been training in that position.... Wilkes will be a swing man, only reason he got drafted was cos of his outstanding 43 goals in last 10 games of the season playing up forward. He will be playing Round 1 but doesnt mean he will be FB.

6. cdcanman

cdcanman New Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on February 6, 2012, 07:48
    @ Mattoc Beau Wilkes will slot strait into the key back position that zac Dawson left . Scott watters was a big factor in him getting drafted by the saints I don't think they did it for him to play Vfl

Couldn't agree more, they have no choice but to play him. If you glance over their list, they have virtually no key backs. They relied on the undersized Gwilt last year, but he is coming over a major injury, and not yet in full training (correct me if I am wrong anyone). For those with decent memories, Wilkes actually looked really good in his first year. He got some big jobs and performed admirably. His job security makes him a must have. Even moderate performance = guaranteed money</blockquote>

Tom Simpkin is still ahead of him to take the full back role, or Sam Gilbert has been training in that position.... Wilkes will be a swing man, only reason he got drafted was cos of his outstanding 43 goals in last 10 games of the season playing up forward. He will be playing Round 1 but doesnt mean he will be FB.</blockquote>

I must admit, I'm no ST Kilda expert, so happy to defer to your judgement StkThunda.
    Simpkin is still a young man, with a young body though, which is why Wilkes will have to come into contention. And I would hate to see Gilbert at FB, you'd lose all his run and he might get monstered by the bigger forwards.

7. cdcanman

cdcanman New Member

I'm stearing clear of North's ruckman at this stage. I'm not convinced that Goldstein and HMac can work. Early on HMac might eat into Goldstein's scoring potential, and after having them both in the side doesn't work, I don't like HMac's job security.

Even if it does work, that probably means they are both playing well, therefor splitting time on the ball. Doesn't bode well for fantasy scoring.

HMac's price is tempting and certainly worthy of consideration on this list and for your starting teams, but I'll pass.

North should have traded McIntosh. He could have returned some of the class that they are sorely lacking. In an offseason when plenty of teams needed ruckman, he would have been the hottest commodity on the market. They also have an abundance of ball winning mids as well. Could have packaged one together with HMac and returned something of real significance.

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Sam Gilbert has been training in that position.... </blockquote>

Thanks for that... I better take him out of my DT

9. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Re: Phil Davis - not sure he is the best choice fantasy wise....

And good point on Goldy and HMac together. Goldy had a great year last year and was high on my strongly consider list for R1 or R2, but with HMac back how will this affect his scoring?

10. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from cdcanman on February 6, 2012, 10:30

Tom Simpkin is still ahead of him to take the full back role, or Sam Gilbert has been training in that position.... Wilkes will be a swing man, only reason he got drafted was cos of his outstanding 43 goals in last 10 games of the season playing up forward. He will be playing Round 1 but doesnt mean he will be FB.</blockquote>

I must admit, I'm no ST Kilda expert, so happy to defer to your judgement StkThunda.
    Simpkin is still a young man, with a young body though, which is why Wilkes will have to come into contention. And I would hate to see Gilbert at FB, you'd lose all his run and he might get monstered by the bigger forwards. </blockquote>

Tom Simpkin weighs in at some 95kg this year, which is bigger then Zac Dawson ever was whilst at the club. Not saying Wilkes wont be in contention but everything the club is saying points to Simpkin getting first crack and he has earnt that right. (2 top 4 B&F finishes in past 2 years at Sandy)

I cant see Gilbo playing FB myself well not until at least Gwilt comes back.

11. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

Skt, how do you reckon Gilbert will go this year if he is again given the run and freedom of past years? Last season was a horror on and off and is now quite a tasty price for someone who held my team in good stead when he became a prominent player in 2010.

12. ExPrez

ExPrez Member

Yamum - any thoughts on Josh Kennedy?

Was surprised he averaged 87 last year and his stats over the last few years track very similarly to Cloke's at this point last year.

Can see WCE finishing top 2 this year and with it improvement from JK.

I need someone at F4 in that &#36;450-&#36;500k bracket, there's a few decent options but I reckon JK might be a unique that could do what Cloke did last year.

13. ExPrez

ExPrez Member

Yamum - any thoughts on Josh Kennedy?

Was surprised he averaged 87 last year and his stats over the last few years track very similarly to Cloke's at this point last year.

Can see WCE finishing top 2 this year and with it improvement from JK.

I need someone at F4 in that &#36;450-&#36;500k bracket, there's a few decent options but I reckon JK might be a unique that could do what Cloke did last year.

14. simply_greeny

simply_greeny New Member

Not sure if it has been discussed yet but what about John McCarthy?

Awkwardly priced i know but should slot straight into Port Adeliade's midfield with no issue . . .

Also love to heaar thoughts on Anthony Morabito as a cheap rookie priced mid . . . .

15. anthak

Morabito was injured still, when players started preseason, but he has started training a few weeks ago and is apparently training well. Read that in the WA scum equivilent some time recently. I'm keen to see how he goes in NAB, but if he is picked in R1, I reckon I'll go with him.

16. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

@ exprez Josh Kennedy is improving every year if he doesn't have any injurys will increase his average . West coast hav put a lot of emphasis on delivery into the forward line with hill hams and hurn all having great delivery skills and lecras up the ground more with his kicking should mean more marks and goals for JK . Don't know if he gets much publicity over east but I can tell you before long he will be talked about in the same way as cloke and buddy .

17. anthak

Nobody is talked about in the same way as buddy, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

18. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

@ anthak was talking about premier power forward he will never be as flashy and game breaking as 2 strikes buddy but he will go close to the Coleman medal in the next couple of years

19. anthak

haha yeah i agree with you. he has a knack at turning a game on its head with some quick goals as does Buddy too. very good player.

20. Clutties

Clutties New Member

I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on Brodie Moles, Jarrad Grant & Trent Dennis Lane? Any Doggies supporters with some inside info on the first two? I'm very tempted to go with Brodie- if he can get a regular gig. He seems like a real gritty midfielder- always seemed to be laying a lot of tackles, & delivering the pill inside 50, & popping up for the odd goal himself. (Did he cop an injury last year??- is he injured now??) Seems bargain basement priced @ &#36;146k compared to &#36;334 the previous year.