Extend the trade period ???

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Simonoz, Jan 8, 2015.

1. snoz

snoz Moderator

Ok....somaybe I'mjust a trade slut, or as you buggers enjoy Summer I'm freezing my arse off in -10c weather and I have nothing better to do then to start random posts about nothing, but......... The current calendar of events is thus - <p style='background: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); margin-bottom: 10px;]6 February to 15 March 2015.Pre-Season Trade Period. <p style='background: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); margin-bottom: 10px;]<strong style='font-size: 14px;]16 March to 20 March 2015.[/b][span style='font-size: 14px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]Delistment period. <p style='background: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); margin-bottom: 10px;]21-29 March 2015.Pre-Season Draft. Kicks off at 10am (should be 8pm Snoz time) <p style='background: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); margin-bottom: 10px;]30 March 2015.One day, post-draft trade spectacular. 24 hours only! Every new draft pick must go, including Zac!! Why do we limit the trade period to those 6 weeks, 6 Feb thru 15 March. Wouldn't it be fun/helpful to extend it thru the Delist period & also thru the actual PSD? Some Delist players could be traded for depth for low draft picks (I think this would helpsome teams), and to be able to trade players/picks during the Draft would add another element to it. The NFL over here does it, and I have to say its a lot more exciting when Goodell reads out......'Pick 17 has been tradedto xzy, and xyz picks blah blah' Not trying to Americanize before you blowhards say that :) I dunno, just thinking out loud - cant really see the downside at all (although I maybe blind). Trade period - 6 Feb thru 30 March Delist period - 16 March thru 20 March PSD period - 21 March thru 30 March March 31 - Guns in holsters and away we goooooooooo sNoZ <p style='background: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); margin-bottom: 10px;]

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea Snoz :) i think it was JimBowan who proposed it previously and I can't remember why it didn't get up. Would be fun I reckon, and definitely adds another element. However, TBH, I'd be just as happy leaving it how it is haha. I'm happy to go with whatever.

3. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I don't have a serious issue dragging it through the delist period, though if a trade can't be done in 6 weeks I am not sure how many years are needed.. Definitely not through the PSD period though, tracking the changes involved is interesting enough without having to do both at once. I could list at least a dozen reasons why it's a bad idea but amongst them is that trades have 24 hours after listing before they are official, we are not going to be stopping the draft to wait for a relevant trade to pass because we have reached a pick # being traded. There are just too many complications. We do have the bandit trade period to correct things, though it's never been used.

4. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

I am all for it! This time of year is booooring wihtout ORFFA! open it up I say! why not? As for trading during the draft, it is problematic although fun. You could always say something like if 3 managers signed off on it it was good to go or similar, no one in this league is in collusion (although there maybe some behind the scenes beer drinking occurring) so I would be ok with 3 random coaches signing of on a draft day deal.

5. graeme

graeme Guest

The concept of trading for pick x when pick x-y has just been taken is so cool. Yep, I appreciate that there are practical difficulties but wouldn't it be so cool? I want Joe Blow and fear he will go before my next pick, how can I get him? I know, offer an enticing trade to the person with the next trade! Brilliant.

6. Len

You adrenaline freaks can wait till the MSD and I may be up to trying it then, but this PSD I have way too much going on externally to juggle what appears to be a novelty item at the same time.. If it were a genuinely good idea, even a moderately good idea, the AFL would be doing it

7. snoz

snoz Moderator

.......Lenski, you had me until you used the AFL as an example of what's good or not :) Whilst I appreciate the administration of it, many hands make idle work no.....we could chip in & help. Chels is good with numbers (I mean Graeme) I know the NFL does it, and they are worth $$$$$$$; pretty sure the EPL & Euro leagues do it, and they are the biggest sports in the world. Not sure on cricket, but MLB does it as well. Its not so much how much time it takes to consummate a trade; its more to do with what is going on at the time I think. The NAB Cup goes from Feb 26 - March 22. Aside from jostling for rookies as per pre season form, it also gives each of us an idea about xyz player who is on anothers squad, or builds up your own players to then try to forge a trade. During the draft itself, having to jump in & offer a trade to get that player you want, because you can see he wont slide now, would be fun as hell. Yes I guess the veto rule gets complicated, but as pointed out above, once three (or more coaches) say its ok, that should be fine I think and can be done over a 24 hr period. I dunno - maybe I'm making a mess of things. Just feel like the Trade period is too restrictive. Running thru the NAB Cup, running it thru our draft and then guns in holsters by March 31 would just spice things up - hell, it might make some coaches actually trade :)

8. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

What it also does is help the weaker teams and places more value on 1st round picks. If you are the worst team, you get pick #1. If you manage to get pick #1 the year that a generational talent comes around it makes coaches under you all the more desperate to trade up to that spot. It empowers the 'weakest' team to therefore choose that player or get a ransom of picks/players in return. I know this doesn't necessarily need to happen 'in draft' but sometimes when the clock starts ticking and coaches see the guy they want still there in 3 - 5 picks time they will pull the trigger. Leads to a very fun and hectic draft! Agree with Snoz, do NOT use the AFL as an example of how to run a draft. Its terrible! Picks actually get passed over? WTF? stupid squad limits and the like devalue picks. In the NFL there are trades going on well into the 7th round of the draft. All picks have value and 1st round picks are priceless.

9. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I would be in favour of pick trading and the like during the draft. Reckon it is a legitimate option.

Ambivalent on extending the trade period in any other meaningful way though. That is probably just me, as I am usually less keen to make trades before scoping out how the NAB Cup and preseason are going.

10. anthak

Yeah, I like the idea of a committee of 3 to approve trades, rather than the standard veto system... but only during a draft period. Also, We have had trade periods and delist periods overlap in the past. That is how I got Taylor Walker. He was delisted by Melbandy and a bunch of us said 'no way, I'll have him' and we had a fair dinkum closed auction before we'd started having auctions. And I was lucky enough to offer the best deal :)

11. Len

Trade and delist overlap I don't care about... Trade and draft overlap, I can see why the trade junkies are keen, but given history, 30 years of management experience, and plain common sense I am happy to trial running them both concurrently for the whole MSD period. I refuse to run it this PSD. The PSD sets up our squads for the year, it has managed to be complicated enough on it's own. The MSD is in part at least voluntary and has always ended with days to spare (unlike the PSD). The exciting thing may be to do it NOW!, the right thing is to do it when it has less risk, and will add zest to a period that doesn't naturally contain it. If it works, we can look at it next year for the PSD. Can we please now get back to the part where you were all going to trade me awesome picks for shit players??

12. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Yeah I agree with Len that it would make things very complicated, and I bet there would be some lopsided looking trades happening during the draft that others wouldn't be happy with, then the draft may have already gone ahead a few picks and it may be too late to question the trade and the logic behind it.

I do see the advantages too having it in though, would make it very interesting.

How about just a one week trade period after the draft? We always seem to finish early, that way you can trade for the players you may not have got in the draft, and adress issues in the team you may not have been able too during the draft... last chance to get the squad solid before RD1.

Also happy new year to all!

13. Len

Len wrote:
    Trade and delist overlap I don't care about... Trade and draft overlap, I can see why the trade junkies are keen, but given history, 30 years of management experience, and plain common sense I am happy to trial running them both concurrently for the whole MSD period. I refuse to run it this PSD. The PSD sets up our squads for the year, it has managed to be complicated enough on it's own. The MSD is in part at least voluntary and has always ended with days to spare (unlike the PSD). The exciting thing may be to do it NOW!, the right thing is to do it when it has less risk, and will add zest to a period that doesn't naturally contain it. If it works, we can look at it next year for the PSD. Can we please now get back to the part where you were all going to trade me awesome picks for shit players?? Excuse the whiskey enabled angst, but the message is correct, and I still want your awesome picks cheap :)

14. Len

Fitzy wrote:
    Yeah I agree with Len that it would make things very complicated, and I bet there would be some lopsided looking trades happening during the draft that others wouldn't be happy with, then the draft may have already gone ahead a few picks and it may be too late to question the trade and the logic behind it.

I do see the advantages too having it in though, would make it very interesting.

How about just a one week trade period after the draft? We always seem to finish early, that way you can trade for the players you may not have got in the draft, and adress issues in the team you may not have been able too during the draft... last chance to get the squad solid before RD1.

Also happy new year to all! Happy New Year to you too Fitzy :) I would be happy, (and maybe we did last year I am not sure?), to move straight from the end of this PSD into another trade period. It's not that I don't see the attraction of the idea, it's that I also see plenty of possible complications and I'd rather shake them out in a draft that is significantly less important..

15. grav

grav Guest

yeah i'm not fussed either way, happy to trial in the MSD so not to overwhelm Len in the PSD. Perhaps something for us to vote on, whether to extend the trade period and by how much. I wouldn't mind seeing the trade period brought fwd even into mid/late Jan, but understand that some people do have lives.

16. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Party pooper here, the admin side of it during the draft (which chugs along at a fairly good pace) would slow it all down.

17. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Happy New Year Fitzy!!!!

18. Len

Putting this back on the Agenda; In order to trial this as discussed above we would be looking at the following Mid Season schedule; - We will have a dedicated trade period commencing after lockout for Round 10, 8.10pm 5th June (Players traded would still have their scores for that round count as selected). (Trade window stays open until midnight Tuesday 30th June, with a brief pause on the 21st June) - We delist to the required number by midnight Saturday 20th. - Sun 21st to get lists correct and threads started etc for Draft period, no trades to occur until 5pm. - Draft to commence Sun 21st at 5pm or when first pick is taken after that time, trading can recommence. - We wont be drafting deep and should conclude within 3 or 4 days, trade window closes midnight Tuesday 30th for season recommence on the 2nd July. If you have a problem with this proposed approach please speak up.
    If we have contention I will put a poll up in time for it to be meaningful.

19. graeme

graeme Guest

Point of clarification please Len. 'Draft to commence Sun 21st at 5pm or when first pick is taken after that time, trading can recommence.' Is it envisioned that 2015 MSD draft picks are able to be included in trades in this period?

20. anthak

I like it. Im also curious about MSD picks being allowed to be traded during the draft. I suggest they should be allowed to be. I also suggest for the draft to begin at sunset on the 21st. Being solstice night, I feel it would be an interesting touch, and not much different to the proposal above.