Fantasy NBA 2011/12

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by anthak, Aug 1, 2011.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Will it happen or will it not?... that is the question!

Its too early to presume if there will be a season or not, but I noticed today that the ESPN fantasy bball site is open for the new season!

For those that weren't in the Too Serious league last season, you could have a look at all the reviews etc by clicking on the 'NBA' category link, or if you want to check out a bit of a season review have a look here: http://tooserious.net/heat-v-mavs-dabomers-dan-the-inaugural-ts-fantasy-nba-champion-of-the-world
    It was a heap of fun!

For those that were in the TS league last season, I have reopened our league with exactly the same settings, teams and even players from last season. But these are all obviously changeable! Im sure we'll be making changes to all 3 of those factors between now and November. Especially the players - I reckon we would all be in favor of starting afresh with a brand new draft.

Anyway, theres plenty of time to work out what changes to make to scoring, rules etc etc, but I just want to get expressions of interest from those who want to be in a TS league if the NBA does in fact go ahead.

So let us know if you're keen in this here forum topic, and we'll see how many leagues we need...
    maybe also mention how many teams you would like to be in the league you are in.

2. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Just the 1 League if it gets up thanks.
    Cheers

*ahem* Go SPURS

3. stowie

stowie Moderator

I'm in for sure!

Would be good to possibly split into 2 leagues of 12 to 15 if we have that many. As you know from last year, it was tough when injuries hit.

4. Fez

Fez Moderator

By far the best fantasy game I've played and I'm in if the season kicks off

5. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Count me in!!
    Although I'd love to keep the same 18 as last year, would be good to drop it to 14-15 in 2 leagues, maybe a premier and a 1st division with promotion/relegation etc
    Damn that means I'll probably end up in 1st Division considering my terrible season last year!!

6. karlos

karlos Member

I'll definitely be in again guys, agree with Fez, was the best fantasy league I have been involved in. Bit nervous the season wont get a start though and so planning contingencies for other summer fantasy options. Will there be an NFL league again? Didnt play last year but would be in this year.

Edit: I see there is already an NFL fantasy thread...

7. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

I might give it a go again.
    Gotta give you guys a chance to knock me from my pedistool.
    Was great fun last year, a real community spirit there and just a nice sprinkling of nastiness.

PM me with the details on leagues.

Was also thinking about setting up a Dynasty league with 10 teams of 10 players. Something to play over the years.

8. HEAVER

HEAVER Member

Agree that it was heaps of fun! and i'll need something to do over the non-AFL break.

Logged this morning and already getting excited with the pre-draft order.

So count me in!

Also found out a few friends played the yahoo version - so i'll also join them.

We'll probably need a lengthy discussion about changes to the season's setup (ie reserves, scoring method, no. of teams in league)...but that come in due course as SC finishes.

9. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from dabombers on August 1, 2011, 10:44.
    Was great fun last year, a real community spirit there and just a nice sprinkling of nastiness.</blockquote>

Haha, we definitely did take it Too Seriously. That was prob the highlight for me - how seriously we took trading! Very in depth analysis of proposals!
    I think that's where the "sprinkling of nastiness" boiled over at times. Was great though. It never got out of hand IMO.
    And, of course, there were the tips too, hey dan!

@heaver, yeah I agree, we'll need to have long chats about the setup.

10. TN

TN Wanderers

Count me in please. Love the NBA. Just hope the season starts because my son is going to the USA end November for a month with an Aussie junior development squad, so would be a shame if they didn't get to watch some live NBA games.

11. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Tips,,,,,,What Tips,,,,,,

Lets try and Set the Draft Date somewhere closer to the start of the season as we will know whats happening there. Maybe 2 weeks before Nov 1st match.

Also with the points system last year we need to work out some little tweaks which were much discussed yet unresolved last season.

I'm hanging for the NBA to come back, especially since my "Port" showing in supercoach league. I think I've occupied almost every spot on the league ladder except last and thats not too far away.

12. Hot diggity, I'm in if there's still room.

Always need a token Heat supporter to take the flak anyways...

13. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I'll give it a whirl again if we have a season.

Probably need a smaller amount of teams in each league - 10-12 would be ideal, as this would allow people to more easily replace injured players with other players off the FA list that are of half decent quality.

We would definitely need to tweak the scoring after the NBA became very liberal in its interpretations of assists and blocks.

And a draft date much closer to the start of the season would be really handy.

14. brobyn

brobyn New Member

I can't see the season starting anytime soon, however I'd be keen on joining!

15. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

And BlueBeliever - I'll take your Heat and see you a Knicks supporter.

Oh the pain. Between them and Richmond ... enough to drive someone demented.

16. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

I'll put my hand up to join one of the leagues if there is a spot open.

17. You can always feel free to turn to the dark side Chris...

I'll need to do some research for this now, I don't even know if you guys still have Stoudemire!

18. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

You are going down this year Dan. Will have to be more ruthless in my initial team selection and with discussing potential trades.

I agree we do need to tinker with the point scoring format slightly.

Also we need to probably reduce the number of teams in the leagues. Maybe 12 teams in each league or 14 max. We need to get a more even spread of players in each roster. See how we go in regards to the number of people we get interested in the comp this year and then we can work out how to set up the leagues.

As FEZ said before, ESPN fantasy basketball is the best fantasy game out there. If only they had something similiar with SC with the live scoring format.

19. stowie

stowie Moderator

Shotgun not drafting last!

20. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

Can I make one small suggestion? If the season does start on time, e.g end of October, can we have the draft before the 15th of October as this is the day I leave to go on holidays to Hawaii for a few weeks. I would not want to miss out on the draft. We can talk about the draft later once we know what is going on.