Fevola 2012

Discussion in 'AFL' started by melbandy, Sep 2, 2011.

1. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Jeanie Pratt has said she'd like to see Brendan Fevola back at Carlton. She has always been a strong supporter of him and didn't wan't the club to let him go to the Lions. Given her not inconsiderable influence at the club, is she on the right tram or will his return disrupt the Blues forward line? Moreover, will it disrupt the playing group or the club itself?

Personally I see it as a ballsy move, which, if done well and successfully could be a masterstroke.

If you disagree, where do you think he'll end up?

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I could actually see him as a left-field selection by Collingwood if Buckley has full charge.

It just stands to reason after drafting Tarrant this year as insurance, we'd do the same for next season.

But probably only in the rookie draft for minimum payment.

If Carlton wants him more than that, then go for it.

I personally would be surprised if he wasn't picked up

3. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

It'll be Cousins all over again. Clubs will stand firm against him as it opposes their ethos and his influence could corrupt players into becoming d!ckheads.
    Carlton sure could do with a key forward, so it's pretty funny to see what will happen there. I was of the impression that Judd was 'him or me' last time, so in short it wont happen.
    Seriously though, Freo is getting a strong mention...

4. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Welcome him home with open arms Andy. A little bit of warmth and love and he will return it in spades. And keep your cotton pickin fingers off Butcher!

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

TiB I think Butcher would fit far better in Melbourne's team given their age profile.

Carlton, well by the time Butcher matures, they will be at 3pm on the window.

Would be madness for Butcher to go.

Fev on the other hand really needs a team at 12-2pm on the clock. Doggies rehabilitated Hall so have to be some show.

6. TerryinBangkok

His best fit, Lucas, would be Port Adelaide. Having said that the prospect of Watts, Howe and Butcher being fed by that midfield is something to ponder.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Bulldogs need a key forward. Wouldn't cost more than a few peanuts. We've been recycling forwards for ever. Dougie Hawkins (God bless him but he's a dill) recommends him. What could possibly go wrong?

Simon Minton-Connell
    Allen Jackovich
    Jade Rawlings
    Barry Hall (well at least that worked out well for all concerned)

8. Das Phoenix

Das Phoenix Guest

Fev will and should go to Richmond. He would boost them nicely (aka a Cloke/Dawes kinda thing), Richmond may be able to afford him and they have a record of giving guys another go and sorting them out, eg Cousins.

9. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@SC_Junkie

JRiewoldt will improve next year again, and I don't see why Miller can't stay for another season or two for when Griffiths gets right/if he does.

Fremantle, Bulldogs I can see him at. Port Adelaide really need a key forward, also.

I reckon he will end up being picked up, would GWS get him, and then trade him off again? Probably a waste as it could quite possibly back fire and they get stuck with him, as they've already said they don't want him.

10. Golingo

Golingo New Member

I don't want him. Not convinced he'll keep his head pulled in.. and there is no place in teams with a reliance on consistent forward pressure for a bloke who drops his head and stops chasing the second things go against him.

11. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@Golingo

Agreed that he does get lazy at times.

I remember once when he chased Tayte Pears all the way to Essendon's half forward flank, they got a Tractor to drive him back to Carlton's forward line :D

12. whips

whips New Member

I couldn't see him being picked up.
    You would only get him if you thought your team was ready to snag a flag and needed a key forward.
    The top 8 have better options and the bottom 9-10 don't need a Fevola type as they rebuild.

13. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@whips

Fremantle, I don't see them having better options;

Mayne is a good player, and will continue to improve, but he's not that big power house full forward.

Ballantyne is a very good small forward when he's on his game.

Fyfe and Pavlich have been playing much for midfield then forward, Fyfe can be there at times, and so can Pavlich, but what I think is IF Palmer goes to GWS and Schammer already retired, I can see those two playing more midfield then forward

Kepler Bradley and Michael Johnson, Bradley was fantastic early in the year and was in the top 5 goalkicking after a few rounds, but I'm still not sure if he can act as that Travis Cloke or Lance Franklin type player. MJohnson, poor season/seasons, not big enough to be a power forward.

They're trying to turn John Anthony into a defender.

They do have Zac Clarke/Sandilands resting down there, but with injury prone players there are always going to be players out of that forward line, creating a gap, I'm not convinced Bradley is THAT good to carry Fremantle to a premiership at FF. And I'm not convinced they can live off Sandi/Clarke resting up there.

IMO, if they weren't to get Fevola, Pavlich would have to be more of a forward again.

Morabito will be back to fill a spot in the Midfield. Pav has been so good in the Midfield which puts a tough decision on the club to move him back.

I guess we'll have to find out what will happen

BULLDOGS

Western Bulldogs would be a good fit, but this all depends whether clubs would be willing to risk it on Fevola.

Barry Hall and Mitch Hahn retiring, no more Hudson resting up there also retiring.

Will Minson, I reckon will play more Ruck then anything next year with Hudson retiring and Roughead basically the only other choice.

Could they turn Roughead into a forward? Not sure, his kick is ummm, not great, I suppose he could be like Nick Riewoldt or something, eh?

Robert Murphy was a bit of a forward a few years back, but now looks like he's been cemented at Half Back.

Daniel Giansiracusa has been good at stages this year, but like Mayne from Freo, he isn't tall or as strong as other power forwards out there.

We used to say Bulldogs FWD Line was okay before Hall came with all of there mediums and smalls, the list from back them was something like this; Hahn, Murphy, Higgins, BJohnson, Akermanis, Gia etc. From this list, Aka was sacked, Johno retired, Hahn retiring, Murphy a Defender, Higgins injury prone and is a little like Fyfe if you think about it, he also plays Midfield. Daniel Giansiracusa is one of few that remain from that forward line (for discussions purpose, anyone could put in more names that could've been there at the time).

Jason Tutt is coming a long nicely and could be a good HF, Dahlhaus has been very good and can play HF, Andrew Hooper is normally a Defender but I've seen up in FP a few times this year, while Zeph Skinner has 1 career game and I think might need longer to develop. Minson/Roughead won't cause a sweat on Scarlett's, Reid's, Gibson's forehead.
    Is there anyone I've missed?

Maybe a few obvious ones, but still, the Dogs forward line get excellent supply from Midfielders such as Boyd, Cross and Griffen, but who to? Gia/Minson (if he gets back to AFL and plays) will get tbe best two defenders each week, think Scarlett/Taylor, Gibson/Gilham(Strat), Reid/Brown(Taz), Dawson/Blake (Fisher), Glass/MacKenzie(Brown) etc etc etc.

Can Bulldogs survive without a big power forward?
    Will whoever coach the Bulldogs be tempted by Fevola?

Port Adelaide are another who needs a player like Fevola.

14. Fev never had the drive, if it wasn't kicked down his throat 30 times a game he was useless. The only times he'd tackle was to lay a cheapie and he'd end up getting suspended. Anyone but Carlton should pick him up. I'm pretty surprised to see how many people on here would like him at their club

15. shanaz

shanaz New Member

From the sounds of things, fev's going to be playing for about 10 clubs next year ;)
    for what its worth, he'd be welcome at essendon, but cant see him going there to be honest.

16. shanaz

shanaz New Member

@ blue believer
    i dont think anyone can question the blokes onfield talent. Everyone has off days, but have a look at his stats and tell me he isnt a gun forward if not elite. At his best id say he's right up there with the elite full forwards.
    The off field indescretions aside, he'd be a fantastic asset to any side. I guess it just comes down to whether or not clubs are willing to take the risk.

17. TerryinBangkok

Two observations:

(1) Was he a "fantastic asset" for Brisbane? If so, why did they, at considerable financial disadvantage, let him go?

(2) Port Adelaide, despite their current difficulties in rebuilding, would not consider him.

18. Sainter

Sainter New Member

St Kilda don't need Fevola, we have Dawson :D

19. whips

whips New Member

@Sainter
    Having read your essay, I still don't think he'll be picked up.

20. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

@ Sainter

There is no way Port would even waste 2 seconds considering Fev

(1) Primus has spent the whole season injecting game time in the youngsters at the expense of senior players such as Cornes;
    (2) Port is committed to continuing this direction;
    (3) With alot of inexperienced youngsters at the club, it would be a recipe for disaster to even consider throwing a bad influence like Fev into the squad;
    (4) Port has Schulz & Butcher who are both harder workers & have age on their side unlike Fev.

Barking up the wrong tree even mentioning Port as a club that needs someone like him, we don't need him or want him