Geelong V Port Challenge

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Benny, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Terry...
    And that's not the Magpies!

Silver teal and BLACK AND WHITE....

Nothing against Port Adelaide football club. Always supported them when they were in the SANFL (and still do - hate the Centrals domination at present), and to be honest if Collingwood went under the merger bus, I'm thinking Port would be my team again.

Thanking them for all time for winning 2004 GF as well. One of the best days in footy watching Voss and Aker and co lose a GF.

I'm nonplussed by the Power name but I'm sure any nickname would have got the Port X just like Port Magpies, people just like taking out that suburb middle word.

@BlueBeliever I think they could do without Chornes haha. Where they would get killed is they have no one to play the Leigh Brown role, whereas the Vics would just play Leigh Brown to play the Leigh Brown role. Game over when Leroy comes to play hahaha

2. Well i guess if you put it like that....

3. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Just from memory, here's a list of players on AFL senior lists from SA
    (Adelaide)Scott Thompson; Graham Johncock; Bernie Vince; Brad Symes; Sam Jacobs; Phil Davis; Michael Doughty; Matthew Jaensch; Brodie Martin; Jared Petrenko; Jason Porplyzia; Ben Rutten; James Sellar; Brodie Smith
    (Brisbane)Jesse O'Brien; Joel Patfull; Jared Polec; Jack Redden
    (Carlton) Mark Austin; Eddie Betts; Nick Duigan; Bryce Gibbs; Pat McCarthy; Jordan Russell
    (Collingwood) Alan Didak
    (Essendon) Alwyn Davey; Angus Monfries
    (Fremantle) Justin Bollenhagen; Matthew Pavlich; Byron Schammer
    (Geelong) Corey Enright; George Horlin-Smith; Andrew Mackie; Daniel Menzel; Matthew Stokes; Jesse Stringer; Travis Varcoe
    (Gold Coast) Michael Coad; Sam Day; Daniel Gorringe; Seb Tape
    (Hawthorn) Shaun Burgoyne; Paul Puopolo; Ryan Schoenmakers
    (Melbourne) Aaron Davey; Mark Jamar; Jarred Rivers; Luke Tapscott; Jack Trengove
    (Nth Melb) Levi Greenwood; Ed Lower; Lindsay Thomas; Daniel Wells
    (Port) Matthew Broadbent; Dean Brogan; Chad Cornes; Kane Cornes; Brett Ebert; Hamish Hartlett; Cameron Hitchcock; Danyle Pearce; Jarred Redden; Nick Salter; Jay Schulz; Daniel Stewart; Paul Stewart; Justin Westhoff
    (Richmond) Shane Edwards; Bradley Helbig; Ben Nason
    (StKilda) Paul Cahill; Sam Fisher; Rhys Stanley
    (Sydney) Heath Grundy; Lewis Johnston; Martin Mattner; Byron Sumner
    (West Coast) Sam Butler; Brad Ebert; Shannon Hurn; Scott Lycett; Beau Waters
    (Western Bulldogs) Adam Cooney; Ryan Griffen; Brian Lake; Will Minson;
    I'm sure i've probably missed some, this is just from memory
    Those players underlined in bold type would be the main contenders for an SA State-of-Origin spot

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

*(and all the rest play for the mighty big V)

all except NT/WA/TAS etc haha

Yeah I reckon Vic v SA would be epic. Slight edge to the Vics still.

Midfield of Judd, Swan, Montagna, Dal Santo, Ablett, you name it.

The ruck though, well that's a different story! Fraser again haha! Kreuzer probably full fit would get a run.

5. Bearfly

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on March 4, 2011, 15:25
    @Bearfly

I hear you, but I differ in opinion a little bit.

There is only one Port Adelaide Football Club. The nickname is 'Port'.

Glad somebody else gets their hackles up with 'power', which was simply a marketing dream of the AFL when Port went national and a quick stomp of the foot from HQ to make sure there was no suggestion of being called Magpies.

Don't really give a toss what others call us - we know who and what we are. </blockquote>

I totally agree with you there m8, but unfortunately the dingbats at AFL HQ insisted on the stupid moniker and we have to wear it - but to all us Port supporters, there's only one Port Adelaide and a great club it is too!
    Such a great club that an underperforming side like Central had to remodel themselves on the Port Adelaide formula to develop a successful culture, otherwise they'd never be where they are!!!
    One great thing, at least we are now back to being a united club - as the One Port Adelaide motto goes "One History, One Future, One Club -PAFC since 1870"

6. Hendy

Hendy Member

Anyone having success watching the game live??

7. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

No success here Hendy. The Ustream feed is unwatchable, very jerky.

8. Bearfly

Probably the best u can expect though considering they aren't actually using proper broadcast equipment - really is just footage to be used for coaching purposes

9. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Correct Bearfly. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, no disappointment here.

10. Bearfly

Some interesting food 4 thought regarding rookie positions coming out of the game with Irons playing a beauty to date!!! In 3 weeks of games so far he's probably only made 3 or 4 mistakes, very sure with the ball and thinks clearly and quickly out on the field!!! If Port can find a spot 2 get him up off the rookie list he could be a pretty good smokie

11. spud

spud New Member

Bit of a thrashing, wasn't it!

Here's hoping they do manage to find a spot for him, Bearfly as by all reports, like you mentioned, he played a beauty.

With Ports' bye positioning it would be the ideal team to have a rookie from as well, with regards to the bye anyway.

I don't think the Cats would be too concerned though, however it will take a bit of courage to start with Chappy if he hasn't played a single warm up match. Not that I don't think he's capable of coming straight on in round 1, but he's one of those players with famous injury niggles.

12. Bearfly

@ Spud
    was expecting a big win considering how many stars the cats rested, but was good to see players like Boak, Gray and Schulz building their game time, and Salopek, Hartlett and DRod getting on the park finally!!!
    In the 30&#37; of game time he played, Hartlett showed all the skill and pinpoint precision of disposal that he's held in high regard for - just needs to get his body right and he'll be a quality mid.
    Boak killed it 2nite, 28 disposals & 11 I50's in about 75&#37; game time - Irons had 22 quality disposals and a couple goals - interesting that Port put Lobbe on LT injury list, could be a spot open for Irons now!!!

13. spud

spud New Member

Thanks for the write-up Bearflu, appreciate it!

That's great to hear, well not great as it means someone's injured, that Lobbe is officially on the LTI now as it could indeed be the opening Irons needed.

Definitely a good looking replacement for Callinan for those who need one and were more interested in his price/liklihood of playing rather than the mid/fwd link he provided.

It's a shame though that your final match has to be against GWS. I'm sure many people, myself included, would have liked to have seen how he performed against another actual side in order to judge if he could replicate his performance, and preferably against a team fielding a strong side, too.

14. Bearfly

Not wrong there Spud, all we've got left is the game against the "mobile witches hats" now - still quite a few of the boys need a hard hit-out b4 the first round, looks like they'll have to get it in some competitive drills at training now!!!
    Would still advise anyone considering Irons to hold off till 1) he gets elevated, and 2) gets a game - but the lad shows real promise and i've got no doubt he'll be a rookie elevation come draft day that's for sure, all at the club are impressed.
    Interesting thing is how we came about getting the lad - recruiting manager was scouting Conca early last season and Irons caught his eye, so he checked him out several times - could be a real steal considering his late rookie draft selection!!!

15. eckie79

eckie79 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Bearfly on March 4, 2011, 21:52
    @ Spud
    In the 30&#37; of game time he played, Hartlett showed all the skill and pinpoint precision of disposal that he's held in high regard for - just needs to get his body right and he'll be a quality mid.
    Boak killed it 2nite, 28 disposals & 11 I50's in about 75&#37; game time - Irons had 22 quality disposals and a couple goals - interesting that Port put Lobbe on LT injury list, could be a spot open for Irons now!!!</blockquote>

How good was it too see Harts playing like he did...if he gets his body right he will be a superstar for sure.

I definately think that Irons will get elevated for Round 1 after last nights game...he's been too impressive to not get a gig, especially, as you mentioned they have put Lobbe on the LTIL.

16. Bearfly

@ eckie79

Sure was great to see Harts out there having a run - that perfect pass out of the guts to Chad in the last was a ripper - showed his class - hopefully his new treatment with the epidural helps him through the season so he can gain a bit of confidence in his body!!!
    If we can get him out there regularly running through the midfield with Boak, Dom, Gray, DRod & Pearce we'll have a midfield to match some of the best!!!
    Most don't rate all these guys, but look at DRod last night, 19 touches and game-best 6 clearences in less than 50&#37; of game time - that fella is a machine!!!
    Hopefully we can get Irons elevated, I like how cool and calm the lad is out there, and so sure with his disposal.
    Am also enjoying seeing Dan Stewart having a bigger impact so far in the pre-season - i've rated this lad ever since he was on the rookie list and kicking big bags of goals for the Roosters - and he's proving a great back up for Broges too!!!

17. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@eckie79
    @Bearfly

Just on Irons, take a look at my post on the home page.

Common theme throughout the forum is nobody wants Port players in their SC team. Ssssssh! Good luck to 'em.

18. Bearfly

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on March 5, 2011, 20:02
    @eckie79
    @Bearfly

Just on Irons, take a look at my post on the home page.

Common theme throughout the forum is nobody wants Port players in their SC team. Ssssssh! Good luck to 'em.</blockquote>

More fool them if they leave Boak out of their SC or DT teams Terry, he looks primed for a big season - not to mention a few of the others i referred to above - but if they avoid picking our boys good, could be a couple of POD's in there!!!

19. Corks

Corks Member

Can anyone give me a line on J Redden? Hear good things about him, and with Lobbe out seems to have a chance. How did he go today, and will he get a game early in the year?

20. Bearfly

<blockquote>Quote from Corks on March 5, 2011, 22:25
    Can anyone give me a line on J Redden? Hear good things about him, and with Lobbe out seems to have a chance. How did he go today, and will he get a game early in the year?</blockquote>

Might as well look elsewhere for a rookie ruck option, Redden didn't get a run and from the set-ups in the past 2 weeks, it looks like Primus will be going with Dan Stewart as the main backup to Brogan with Trengove and Westhoff pinch-hitting as well.
    Stewart has played good games past two weeks against Tigers and Cats playing the role of ruck/forward and will be a big improver this season - but unfortunately he's only listed as a fwd rather than fwd/ruck!!!