GWS Bound

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Sainter, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I honestly can't see GWS wasting their one un-contracted signing per club on picking up Chornes - he's washed up as an AFL player, keep in mind:
    - Williams was the coach last year who signalled the end of Chad playing mid-field
    - Williams also was on record last season saying that Chad wasn't quick enough to play key defence anymore
    - and as a key forward Chad's goal kicking accuracy is deplorable!!!

On top of this, Chad's efforts in the SANFL this season haven't been that impressive for a player of his calibre - the only reason he was selected last weekend was because of the injury to Westhoff, otherwise he wouldn't have played!!!

My tip is that GWS will be saving their "Port Adelaide un-contracted signing" until next year when Williams "pet" Pearce's contract expires.

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Think you're right Bear. Just wish you were wrong.

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

SO...

Scully (Melb)
    Pearce (Port)
    Walker (Adel)
    Palmer (Freo)
    Ward (WB)
    Blake (Geel)
    McLean (Carl)
    Clark (Bris)

Not sure about Prismall. Would probably think he will stay at Essendon at least for a year.

Dogs need Lake to respond so I can't see him leaving. Might hold onto Hill, but if they give him up, then it's stuff all compensation given to the Dogs. 4th rounder?

Geelong will keep Hawkins but not Blake. Hawkins is a son-of and the Cats will try to keep him like they did Ablett.

Onto my mob:
    McCarthy might be sought after, along with Macaffer. The issue with the Pies is that the sum is stronger than the individual parts. Goldsack is an option for targeting, but I'm not convinced he would choose to leave even for more money. A legitimate star might...but if money is already used to target players like Scully/Ward/Palmer, I'm not convinced there is too much salary cap for shifting Pendlebury/Thomas.

At Hawthorn, players to target would be half back flankers as they have too many to get a game at the moment. You'd suggest maybe Bruce to go for a year, and Ellis is a standout to be targeted.

Can't see too many RooBoys targeted. They remind me of a young Collingwood.

Could see Sydney being targeted; someone like Seaby would be an easy hit, or Mike Pyke. They might also get a half back out of Sydney because they also have too many of these types. Sydney will probably be all too willing to get some more early draft picks in return.

4. Flameboy23

Flameboy23 New Member

Surely GWS can just pick up the uncontracted Cornes in the pre-season draft? Then they'll still be able to sign Pearce next year!

5. Lucas

Yep sounds plausible Flameboy apart from the Williams-Cornes issue.

If that's been sorted, well and good.

If I were Port I'd try and get rid of Rohde as part of the deal to lose Pearce.

Honestly though if GWS gets a bunch like this for season 2012 and then hammers again with the draft and season 2013, they will be near unstoppable in 2017.

Thank goodness the Pies will be out of premiership contention and rebuilding then.

But I'd be really happy for Choco if he won another flag. I reckon he was very misunderstood at Port, and history will show he did a fantastic job there under some duress.

6. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Clark is headed to Saints, not GWS ;)

7. Fez

Fez Moderator

Aren't we talking bout Kane Cornes?

8. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

GWS can have Kane Cornes for free. We don't want him. The game has passed him by as he now has no position, e.g taggers are not required anymore due to the press.

Deplorable skills and he cant kick over a jam tin. Please Sheeds and Choco take him.

9. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Steve on July 14, 2011, 17:26
    GWS can have Kane Cornes for free. We don't want him. The game has passed him by as he now has no position, e.g taggers are not required anymore due to the press.

Deplorable skills and he cant kick over a jam tin. Please Sheeds and Choco take him. </blockquote>

Maybe we should offer them a package Steve - Chornes, Kornes & Rhodes - might be worth a final round draft pick :)

10. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Peter Rohde is Port's economy pack Adrian Anderson. Surely the AFL could find an inactive post for him at HQ? Yeah, the light has dimmed for the Cornes brothers, but they should be thanked for their contribution and be remembered for when they were at their, albeit brief, peaks.

Agree with Lucas that Choco was often misunderstood. Mind you, at times he was not exactly easy to understand. Interesting to look back at 2004 and beyond and the sponsors who supported Port, particularly Scott's (got to admit Cummings looked good with the big SCOTT on his chest). Nice new state of the art training and recovery facilities and never a hint from bloodhound Rucci of financial difficulties. Look at the current state and where are all those sponsors now?

Endeth the rave.

11. How much is their actual salary cap with all the concessions and extras? If they've got Ward, Scully and Palmer all supposedly offered close to a mill a year and Walker at around 700k that alone is a fair chunk of change. I've been wondering recently, what if everyone says yes?

12. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@BlueBeliever
    yeah that's interesting, but remember the Suns got Ablett, Rischitellie, Bock, Brown, Harbrow, Fraser & Brennan (traded), if GC can fit those guys surely they'll be able to fit in Scully, Ward, Palmer, Walker?

13. Not just those guys but if they already have them then they still have to fill the rest of the team. Sheed's has come out repeatedly and stated that he wants the team to be more competitive earlier than GCS, and will try to trade around that premise. As has already been pointed out those guys are pretty young so if the whole team's based around them and the current Giants then they wont peak any sooner than GCS. They still need the older players now and so far don't have them. With the cash thrown at the young guns what will the veterans want to jump ship?

14. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

Walker, Scully, Ward, Cornes and maybe Prismall.

Thought Scotland until a few weeks ago.

Not bad pickups for any club really.

15. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Bearfly on July 14, 2011, 12:53
    My tip is that GWS will be saving their "Port Adelaide un-contracted signing" until next year when Williams "pet" Pearce's contract expires.</blockquote>

Yeah he's had enough of Port you think?

Done nothing for a while now.

16. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Matt Priddis & Mitchell Brown have signed with the Eagles, so they won't be wearing GWS colours next year.

17. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Callan Ward
    Rhys Palmer
    Tom Scully

They've all signed, Mitch Clarke says he wants to go to Fremantle preferably, but mostly just would like to be back in WA.

Reckon Xavier Ellis, not getting played much, Suckling is ahead of him now, hardly gets played any more.

Lake will stay at the Bulldogs I reckon.

Has it been confirmed that Chad/Broges have gone, or just speculation and rumours?

Is Goddard uncontracted?
    He may go, now that the Saints lost in first week of finals, hopefully he stays with us.

Andrew Lovett will probably get picked up by GWS.
    Just thought to post all the players that have gone and put this up again.

18. Lucas

Great bump Sainter, great to read through and see the thoughts as they unfolded.

Needless to say Walker was a surprise to stay that's for sure. It appears to have been just a personality clash with the GummyShark

Hawthorn would love it if Ellis left, as compensation would be based on his draft pick (2) rather than his worth (stuff all)

Goddard I think is under contract, so would certainly be hard to shift. But for Jaegerbomb, who isn't on the table?

19. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Goddard contracted until end of 2012. As is Gilbert, Fisher that have been rumored to have already signed.....

20. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Possible that Brad Dick could go to GWS?
    Doubt he'll be at Collingwood next year though..