GWS Bound

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Sainter, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Have I missed Peter Rohde leaving Port in the news recently? Or is there a 'vacancy' just because the lights have been on but no-one's been home for some time anyway?

2. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Terry & I have started a campaign to ship him off and reunite him with Broges & Chad so they can combine and stuff up GWS's chances of early success :)

However, as you say Jason, the lights are on but no-ones ever been home - the vacancy is in Rhode's head!!!

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Where do I sign up to that particular campaign? I'd be a willing signatory, having suffered enough years in the Rhode wilderness during the early 2000s.

4. I think Melbourne should use their picks this year. They should finish better next year and by all reports due to the "bumper draft" next year pretty much all teams with picks up their sleeve will save them till then. High picks in a thin draft are in my opinion better than lower picks in a draft where there is more talent, as I'd think that the more quality players the better value from low picks

5. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Gotta be a Taswegian to untangle it, but yeah, sort of makes sense BB.

The news from Port and the coaching merry-go-round suggest that GWS will be baulked a bit while new coaches are found and in place. E.g., pretty sure Ross Lyon will put an embargo on list movement until he gets in the seat.

6. mark

mark New Member

What i'd be concerned about if i were the AFL is this, Ablett and co recruited by the GCFC would put bums on seats. Who in western sydney knows anything about these hacks being signed by GWS.

Imo they would have been far better off signing up a bonafide superstar or two for the mega bucks they have given Scully.

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

I doubt GWS will win more than 2 games, they have some good young players, but who knows if Scully will play a full season with his knee problems? Same for Phil Davis, a lot of injury troubles, Callan Ward should play most of the games if not all, not injury prone from my understanding, but he's not that superstar type player. Rhys Palmer, who knows about him and what he'll produce, a good player when he's on, but he's been off for a long time....
    Then they have all of these old hacks like Cornes, McDonald, Brogan and Power, I reckon Power can still play, Brogan just plays Ruck and doesn't do much else, McDonald is now 35 years old, I reckon the game is way past him and Chad Cornes as mentioned has no real position...?

Even Gold Coast only won 3 games this year with pobably the best player in the omp Gary Ablett if not 2nd best behind Chris Judd, they also had a BnF winner of last year Michael Rischitelli, Nathan Bock as one of the best Defenders in the AFL and very experienced as a big body, Jared Brennan one of the most skillful players when he's on, too.

With those comparisons, can't see many wins TBH, maybe 1, 2 if they are lucky?

Also, just adding, Brendon Goddard could go when his contract ends next year?

8. Sainter

Sainter New Member