Joel Selwood

Discussion in 'AFL' started by bfish, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Swallow and Harris come on down

2. AndrewY

AndrewY New Member

Selwood, Lonergan,and Mooney out

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

At least his price won't suffer anymore than it has to now.

4. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Oh well, that's OK - just means both Swallow and Harris get a game.

Shift Heppell from the mids bench to on the ground up back to take Otten's spot and pull in a backline player like Gibbs into the mids.

Whatevs I guess - as long as I've got 22 going around and no unecessary bench wastage.

5. MrNOYFB

MrNOYFB New Member

Pity they didn't use him as a sub, would of been a good pickup next week if you didn't have him. Still should drop a bit after his second game, especially if he has a quiet one.

6. Gtrain

Gtrain Guest

I would play Irons over Swallow if you have him.
    I think he will score more against WC than Swallow will against Carlton in a 50 point thumping.
    If not Irons then Libba.

Peace.

7. Fez

Fez Moderator

My dilemma now who starts out of pittard, libba and atley?

8. broge

broge New Member

libba!!!

And they are saying that selwood boarded the plane, y would they do that??

9. Gtrain

Gtrain Guest

He boarded the plane AND posted a twitpic from the sky I hear.
    Mind games.

10. spud

spud New Member

It was probably Selwoods idea of an April fools joke, to post the picture :)

I don't like being one premium down this early in the season on a lot of others, even just for a single round, but thems the breaks.

11. Iceman

Iceman New Member

Im 95% going to trade him out to try catch those above me. 300 odd points behind and need to do something drastic

any thoughts guys?

12. deasend

deasend New Member

<blockquote>Quote from MrNOYFB on April 1, 2011, 12:22
    Pity they didn't use him as a sub, would of been a good pickup next week if you didn't have him. Still should drop a bit after his second game, especially if he has a quiet one.</blockquote>

Pretty sure prices don't change until after a player has played 3 games, so there would be no drop after his second game.

Even then, as the price change takes into account the average score of their last 3 games, that round 1 score would only impact on one price change (after his 3rd game) and would have no effect on any price changes after that, so Selwood is still a long way off being the bargain pickup everyone is hoping for.

13. DC

DC Member

keep him iceman..

you wouldnt trade ablett would you if he was out for one week?

14. Iceman

Iceman New Member

good point DC - looking at the fixture. Selwood return next week at skilled v port is looking tasty.

thoughts like these just come from not having confidence in the starting squad. 1 bad week (relatively 2278) and you feel the season is gone in terms of overall .

15. chris88

Everyone thinking of trading out Selwood because of a 1 week injury need to think long term ... and I wonder how many would be thinking of trading him out if he'd scored 128 before injuring himself last week rather than the 28 he scored.

In fact, Selwood was on 45 at quarter time, so he was bang on for a 125-140 point game.

But by the by - you've lost about 100 points on him in one week. You might lose a few more this week, but given you should have a decent midfield replacement, it won't be as many as it could be.

Ultimately if he returns and starts belting out the scores again, he'll make up a little ground on the premium you might trade him in for.

So, maybe 100-110 points last week. Maybe 80 points this week (if your rookie midfield replacement plays ordinarily and the premium you would've picked up has a good one.

All up, 190 points at worst?

What if Selwood makes up 5-10 points per week on that premium? There's 100-200 points.

And of course there's the X Factor that the premium you trade into could get injured.

And then of course there's the trade you need to use on this ... and then maybe the trade you might need to use to trade Selwood back in once he starts belting out the good scores.

So, 1 or two trades for perhaps a 100 point benefit? Not worth it.

In fact, using 1 sideways trade between premiums for a possible (but nowhere near assured) 200 point benefit across the season would be a waste ...

Instead, save your trade/s, stick with Selwood and look elsewhere in your team for better upgrades and perhaps points of difference as the season progresses.

There will be some tasty upgrade options involving premiums between rounds 7-11 methinks.

16. chris88

And Iceman - 2278 isn't a bad week - try my Selwood affected score of 2135 for size and see what you think.

Work some better trades and upgrades when they present themselves - and they will present themselves in coming weeks.

Ablett, Chapman, Hodge, Didak .... that's just scratching the surface.

17. Fez

Fez Moderator

Chris - well summed up, I'd never trade a player for a 1 week injury, am going for my league wins as overall is along way away so all my trades are gold

18. Iceman

Iceman New Member

Your right of course Chris88. Fingers have been very itchy today.

When you break it down and think about who most ppl will have as a replacement - ie Harris then that seems more than adequate cover.

All the talk of scoring sub 2300 last week spooked me into thinking ill need to make up some points right away (to not fall too far back from the leading group.)

Im thinking now that we should all back our judgement and the PODs we picked in pre season to either narrow the gap or extend any advantage.

The enevitable price drop was playing in my mind too.
    Good post Chris88

19. DC

DC Member

Great post Chris!! Spot on!

20. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Didn't the winner two years ago trade Ablett out for a one or two-week injury?