Mid range midfielders: value aplenty?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by WooshApoc, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Judd isn't a permacapt because last few years hasn't averaged over 120. Close mind you last year (119) but Swan 127, Ablett 130, Goddard 130 have a fair gap.

Swan-Bennell was a quick example, I'm sure I could have said Selwood-Swallow or something similar.

I've just been taking a look at the 2009 win from Chris, and the 2010 win from Blue Thunder.

Blue Thunder had a few (5) midrange to start, then ditched early (Hall/Medhurst), as well as a discounted ruck (Hille) who was also ditched fairly early. Ball was his surprising choice (so many others had him also) but was gone early - by r5. Malceski the only other midrange he kept obviously to the finish.

When you look at these, Hall/Med/Mal were midrange but started under 300 (from memory), Hille wasn't much different. Ball was the true midranger.

Chris started with 6 and slowly whittled them down with Drummond staying until the end. The others - C Cornes, Raines, Houlihan, Higgins and Skipworth all left pretty quickly (by R12). Honestly none of them were at premium level at all that year, they were used in fairly sensible upgrades.

Note I considered McIntosh to be not midrange to start which might be a bit misleading. You could make a case for him starting with 7.

On the whole I think midrange is a dangerous way to play, but if you do, like Chris, you will have to put in 4 premium mids from the get-go.

Chris had Ablett-Judd-Gibbs-Selwood going bang from the beginning, and didn't get lucky with a Barlow (though Rich was fairly tasty).

So if you use midrange players I'm suggesting a max of one in the midfield (to be upgraded to another prem before R8). Effectively 4 prems for first 7 games, 5 after that.

More than one midrange in the mid and I'm starting to doubt the ability to:
    A) get enough points early
    B) pick the right midranger
    C) get enough rookie appreciation

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Fair analysis Lucas, but much depends on picking the right rookies who get regular game time + appreciate. We have all had our Gysberts. The 'right' midranger may not appreciate as much in relative terms to the rookie, but he should have better job security.

Skipworth (R.I.P.) made a lot of loot for those who got in and out at the right time.

Could not agree more with your suggestion elsewhere that tha's gold in them tha forward rookies. I am focusing more there for potential cows than the mids. One advantage of MPP (say FWD/MID) is you can trade them when fat for either line. Or you can trade in a FWD (with MPP) and switch them to the MIDs (which was what you were after in the first place). Not a lot in it, but need to make the most of your luck when it occurs.

3. yumcha

yumcha Member

I reckon with the new rules, new team, player-go-around, more MPP available players, and outside factors (Saints' horror preseason that is arguably still continuing with the Nixon scandal) - the GnR strategy may not be the way to go anymore.

Playing landscape has changed - so maybe it's time to change tact as well?

just my 2 cents.

4. Juggernauts

Juggernauts New Member

a player that im toying with who is in the mid range price is josh kennedy from the swans. i never rated him too highly as a supercoach option but was extremely impressed by his finals preformanmces last year. had very good NAB games last week. inside mid who can win his own ball. interested to hear some of your thoughts

5. yumcha

yumcha Member

Past seasons, there are always the Elite Guns: Ablett, Swan, Brown, and so on.

This season, the ultra gun : Ablett has changed team. so no idea how he's gonna go.

the other ultra gun: Swan - well no telling how the new sub rules will affect him.

Saints' guns: No telling how the offseason will affect them.