MPP Team Structure

Discussion in 'AFL' started by warsaken, Feb 8, 2012.

1. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

Hey all, Last year my team wasn't set up very well from the beginning of the year as in terms of MPP.

This year however I shall be prepared!!

Below is my (8th or 9th!)draft of my team(btw haven't looked into byes yet):

BACKS
    Goddard(MID), Deledio(MID), Newman, Burgoyne(MID), Grimes, M.Clarke, Bower, Tomlinson(FWD), Blee

MIDS
    Selwood, Barlow, Hayes, D.Smith(FWD), McDonald, T.Mitchell, Docherty(DEF), Horsley

RUCKS
    Mumford, Sandilands, Giles, Sthpenson

FWDS
    Pavlich(MID), Chapman(MID), Martin(MID) JBrown, Christensen(MID), Rohan, Porplyzia, Smedts(DEF), Rowe(RUCK)

My question is, have I set up my MPP properly or should I move one from def/fwd each to my mids??

2. bfish

bfish New Member

The big thing with the way we can trade this year is that you can move these DPP guys as part of a trade (without having to have a corresponding player in the other postion). I am planning on starting with mid only rookies and moving the likes of Docherty and Hampton into the middle as we approach the byes.
    Generally the pure rookie mids appreciate the fastest and the most.

3. Clutties

Clutties New Member

It's really tricky this year as there don't seem to be many MID/DEFS or DEF/FWDS. And now we have only 2 bench spots, I don't think you can really afford to have rookies just sitting on your bench- not playing- just to provide you with the link. Yes, ideally it would be great if Docherty gets a good run early, as that would please a lot of SCoachers I'm sure! But I think he's injured?? (not entirely sure about that...heard it somewhere). And it's not as important to have the 'link' as such this year. Although I doubt we'd be swinging Deledio or Goddard into the mids, (as part of that trading scenario), as the Premium DEFs are usually pretty slim pickings. And forget the whole Ruck MPP link! There's nothing there this year! I have Rowe as my 4th ruck- so can swing him Fwd as part of a trade. I think you've gotta kind of treat your MPP's like that this year. Having said that, you don't want to cop a donut- as I fear I may be if I don't link somebody to my DEF! Tricky.

4. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

Yeah, my rookies are basically only placeholders at the moment.

I've got Rowe in there to see how Roughy comes back, to make a straight swap with giles/Big O about round 7-10, and move Rowe to rucks.

Of course assuming all these players get good early game time.

5. blake_scooby66

blake_scooby66 New Member

Hey, wanna know what you rate this team. Would appreciate some advice, thx :)

Defenders: B.Goddard, B.Deledio, G.Broughton, M.Suckling, J.Grimes, M.Clarke, T.Mohr. Reserves- B.Smedts and B.Wilkes

Midfielders: G.Ablett, N.Dal Santo, M.Murphy, A.Cooney, D.Zorko, D.Shiel. Reserves- J.Mcdonald and T.Mitchell

Rucks: T.Goldstein, M.Kreuzer. Reserves- J.Giles and O.Stephenson

Forwards:L.Franklin, N.Fyfe, J.Kennedy, J.Brown, J.Butcher, A.Tomlinson, A.Treloar. Reserves- T.Walsh and S.Kerridge

6. Clutties

Clutties New Member

Forgot about The Orange Roughy! He could be very handy indeed if both he and 'Ready To Go Rowe' fire up early. Especially if you stick with Sandi... you may need that extra bit of insurance there....

7. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Hey all,

I don't want to sound like "The Grinch" but the whole rating of teams at this stage of the year is pretty pointless.

We haven't even seen a ball kicked in competition, nor how teams will be set up, what new coaches have in mind for game plans etc or if any of these rookies look like figuring in the coaches plans.

By the 3rd week of the NAB cup, we will have a better idea as between now and then, it is pretty much just filling up pages.

Sorry to be the bearer of this message, and I mean no offence to anyone above or on any of the other RMT threads, but I just can't see how anyone's team won't change between now and then and we will all have a much better idea in a months time of what the season holds for TS'ers.

Constructively, throw ideas amongst the forums and get feedback. It will allow you to mould your team around the premiums that you need for the whole season and then add the rookies when we've seen what they can do.

Good luck for the season

J

8. Philbya01

Philbya01 New Member

Given that my gun Mids are not MPP's I'm relying on rookie Mid MPP's to cover my forwards and backs, at this stage looking at Zorko and Treloar forward and L.Brown back. Any body else I should be keeping my eye on? I wish the NAB cup would start already the wait is killing me.

9. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from J_in_Japan on February 8, 2012, 18:45
    Hey all,

I don't want to sound like "The Grinch" but the whole rating of teams at this stage of the year is pretty pointless.

We haven't even seen a ball kicked in competition, nor how teams will be set up, what new coaches have in mind for game plans etc or if any of these rookies look like figuring in the coaches plans.

By the 3rd week of the NAB cup, we will have a better idea as between now and then, it is pretty much just filling up pages.

Sorry to be the bearer of this message, and I mean no offence to anyone above or on any of the other RMT threads, but I just can't see how anyone's team won't change between now and then and we will all have a much better idea in a months time of what the season holds for TS'ers.

Constructively, throw ideas amongst the forums and get feedback. It will allow you to mould your team around the premiums that you need for the whole season and then add the rookies when we've seen what they can do.

Good luck for the season

J

</blockquote>

This is in no way a RMT thread, It is about discussing how to use MPP this year.

I only posted a team at the top as an example.

10. Dirty_Whorks

Dirty_Whorks New Member

bfish - I reckon the new trade rules are gonna catch a few people with their pants down as they burn more trades without thinking too hard about the MPP. With MPP you may only have to make a single trade.

11. Jbye

Jbye New Member

I'm going to wait til a few weeks before the bye before bringing MPP into the midfield. For me there is to many midfield cash cows for GWS (Clifton, Miles, McDonald, Shiel) as well as Tom Mitchell, to pass up.

12. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

A D/M rookie is going to be hard to find with Docherty's stats. Aylett may be only other one to get game time but he's NEAFL stats don't look good.

13. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

@JBye

I’d have a think about taking so many rookies from one team. GWS aren’t going to win many (any?) matches so their players are automatically at a disadvantage scoring wise. If you have a look at the cows that peaked early last year (Curnow, Libba, the Bomber H’s) they were in established teams, rather than the GC.

Obviously there’s a place for the GWS boys, as you know they’ll get games, but I’d recommend taking rookies from a variety of teams.

14. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

MPP is over rated, it only realistically saves you probably 1 donut a year. Your losing points by selecting Goddard/Lids/Martin etc in your midfield over their other positions.

15. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Yeah...I tend to agree with stkildahunda. You shouldn't pick someone with MPP over someone who you think will score more, just to take advantage of MPP. And you certainly shouldn't pick MPP Def/Fwd premiums in your midfield. The midfield is the deepest area of points and your wasting a position for a true mid by having the likes of Martin etc there, by all means pick him in the forwards, but taking up a midfield spot makes no sense to me.

16. WillS

WillS Member

Agreed. The midfield is where consistent points are made. You have to maximise its output. Any concessions made here with non premium mids or second rate rookies will hurt you more than anywhere else.

Focus selection on players that will get midfield time but are listed as forwards / defenders, rather than MPP combos.

With the limited number of useful MPP combinations out there I think trying to set your team up around them is too restrictive.

17. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with you guys and I've found that F/M MPP can be helpful.

I agree that most of it is overrated. I've never found a need for F/R, D/R or D/F and I think I've used D/M once.

F/M MPP only saved me from 1 or 2 donuts last year, but I also found that at times one bench would be taken up by 2 injured players (or 1 and another under and injury cloud) and I could shift one player so I could have at least 1 emergency in each line. Gave me a bit of breathing room in those weeks.

18. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't Docherty be a downgrade target given his interrupted preparation? Ditto Zorko?

Food for thought. It's not just about good starting rookies, but also about those who bud a touch later who you can ride the wave on.

Smith and Puopolo started slow but were great when the whips were cracking (I had neither)

19. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

FM is the way to go no doubt, and I enjoyed using FR at times last year with Petrie doing some good saving work.

Roughead is certainly an option to consider given his great form last season and flexibility. It does make having Rowe as a speculative R4 or F9 that much more intelligent knowing you can throw the Golden Rough in there later.

Still given Rowe's interrupted preparation (and Rough), looks like they are both players to bring in at the time of the upgrade/downgrade cycle between Round 7 and 15.

20. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I didn't have the best MPP set up last year but it saved my waistline from donuts on more than one occasion!