MPPs for 2012

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Senator96, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

MPP's have become really useful since they brought in the rule that allowed us swing them around at will, probably saved a lot of people donuts throughout the year. Which popular picks might we expect to lose that advantage next year and who might gain it?

2. shanaz

shanaz New Member

id expect Dustin Martin to get a look at mid/forwd.
    not sure who would lose their dpp though

3. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

I reckon its a little overrated to be honest. I can honestly say i used it maybe 2 maybe 3 times tops this year. Reckon we will find a fair few lose their MPP next year as we dont have the byes to cover.

4. shanaz

shanaz New Member

wont be as important next year for sure with the lack of byes, but i think it can still be crucial towards the end of the season in order to cover the general and injuries

5. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Paddy Ryder will FINALLY become a Forward/Ruck next year in my opinion.

6. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

i found the fwd/ruck mpp quite useful and being able to switch gibbs and heppell saved me a donut in the prelim final as well.

Not sure petrie played enough in the ruck to retain his mpp but he'll be too expensive to pick up next year anyway for me. If ryder gets it id consider him

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

I won't go near Ryder, maybe if he moves to Richmond or Gold Coast or GWS or something... :D

8. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

MPP was huge this year- I reckon I used it every week.

Next year, Ryder should certainly be a Fwd/Ruc- and from that alone, a good chance to make it into my squad as a forward to cover any rucking injuries.

Yarran will be picking up DEF status, but will probably lose his FWD which would be sad.

9. Fez

Fez Moderator

If Ryder is fwd ruck who's going be the gumby we can rotate him with Joel Tippet delisted

10. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I reckon VS are still getting their heads around the MPP situation to be honest. They made a better fist of it in 2011 than 2010, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. The inclusion of lots of rookies with MPP is very important and they came up to the plate in this area for season 2011.

As for experienced players who could get MPP for 2012, Tom Williams played DEF/RUC on a number of occasions for the Bulldogs this year and would be worthy of MPP.

11. walesy

Who knows, hopefully one of the GWS boys. :)

If not though, it might be a case of spending a little more jam on the ruck bench to bring on in. Having two starting rucks who play 22 games is a rare treat- while having someone like Z. Smith as coverage is even rarer!

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I just reckon needing two MPPs to facilitate trades is stupid.

Have one bench, let the team be selected from there and if you can move a player onto the field in that position then all good and well.

Then if you do that, you have to probably tighten some of the MPPs.

On Ryder, doesn't he spend most of his time at CHB these days? Shouldn't he be more likely a RD with Port's Trengove?

13. walesy

Completely agree with that Lucas- Don't see it ever happening as it breaks the VS mould, but it is the standard for any of the American fantasy models.

As for Ryder, he played a couple of games up back late in the year dues to injuries forcing our hand- but he's played way more game time up forward.

14. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

My brother is still pushing for Gibbs and Goddard to be the first ever D/M/F, and Ryder to be the first ever D/M/F/R, although he says that he still wont pick him as it violates his "no essendon players" rule.

15. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

I used MPP a lot and it saved me from many donuts. Only had 1 for the season (in PF which I lost by less than a hundred & my opponent fielded NRoo & Puopolo). Also I'm not bitter at all that my R24 score beat both our league grand finalists by over 200.

That said I still buggered and burnt up many trades, I'm looking at you Watson in particular.

Ran out of trades in R19 and my MPP cover worked really well.

I like ur brother's rule Hornsey, wish I'd stuck to it myself.

16. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Kosi could be a F/R next year :p :p :p

But in all seriousness Rhys Stanley will be dirt cheap as only played 1 game this year and was only $200K.. So he could be your F/R swingman. Depends on what discount they give him i suppose.

17. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Still reckon you shouldn't need a swingman. I don't really like picking players solely because of MPP

18. bigbadbunks

bigbadbunks Member

I think Rioli could be a fwd/mid
    Maybe Johncock could be a def/fwd
    Puopolo could be a def/fwd
    I don't know why Heppell was a def/mid, so he might lose it
    And Hibberd could switch from def/mid to court/jail

19. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Lobbe will probably end up losing his F/R MPP - only game he spent any time up forward was R24.

If Motlop somehow manages to get another contract at Port, or more likely another club picks him up, he could possibly become F/D - spent more of his TOG down back in probably 2 thirds of the games he played this season, and actually showed some decent form down back.

20. homerj

homerj Member

Hope Hodge gets his D/M link back, it sucked this year not having him to pick from as a defender.In fact decent defenders in general were hard to find!

I really wonder sometimes how the reasoning they use when giving out MPP functionality.Sam Gilbert for example was a bloody forward/def this year after only playing a few games forward in the finals series last year.
    When Ablett was at the Cats he played forward a lot and scored a lot of goals but was only listed as a midfielder. Don't think he will ever be M/F though, that would be way too tasty!!