nab cup rookies

Discussion in 'AFL' started by teraferma, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Corks

Corks Member

Doesn't bode well for Port if Darren Pfeiffer is getting a game in their best 22.

2. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Don't get carried away with Pfeiffer, his disposal efficiency hasn't been too flash over the NAB games and that can only get worse when the real pressure of the H&A series is applied.

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Add the KHunt temptation plus Clarke who's JS seems to have been boosted of late.....some tough decisions in the backline to be made.

I'm having trouble splitting the Richmond boys, and the GWS boys.

Of the former, one is mature age but the other has scored better.

Currently toying with skipping on all midpricers from the Dogs and turning Danger into Chapman....

I don't like messing with structure too much now but this rookie issues make it a necessity!

4. Oodles

Oodles New Member

Stephen Coniglio - I haven't once considered him during the pre-season due to his price but with so many mid rooks that have gone missing does he now come into the equasion for anyone else? Great JS and has played the last year and a half(possibly 2) against men which is pretty much what we are all after.

Thoughts?

5. Corks

Corks Member

Too expensive for my tastes Oodles.

At that price he needs to average 84 ppg to make the same cash as Magner averaging 65 ppg. Nothing I've seen suggests he's got an 80 average in him, so taking a punt on a cheaper option and using the cash on upgrading a mid-price to a Premium (think Adcock to Delidio) seems better.

6. Oodles

Oodles New Member

Thanks Corks, thats all I needed to hear.

7. sknljpeterson

sknljpeterson New Member

Anyone who saw Coniglio last year would be laughing at all this? lockin.

8. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

Guthrie or marty clarke? In terms of JS

9. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Bearfly on March 19, 2012, 19:12
    Don't get carried away with Pfeiffer, his disposal efficiency hasn't been too flash over the NAB games and that can only get worse when the real pressure of the H&A series is applied.</blockquote>

When the Bear talks about Port players, I listen.

Do you have Wingard in your SC team BF?

10. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

@ Jason, I can tell you that I have Wingard in my team. My only worry though is that he may be the sub for a number of games. Time will tell on that one.

One for you Jason, is Skinner in the best 22 at the Dogs at the moment? I thought he looked alright in the early NAB cup games.

11. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I have doubts on Skinner being in the 22 Steve, but expect he would be in the 25 as an emergency. I reckon Dickson is in from last year's team (replacing Hall) and Skinner is an emergency.

My guess on Dogs FWD six:
    Gia-Jones-Grant-Dahlhaus-Roughead-Dickson

I can make a case for Skinner on the bench, but because I don't think he can go through midfield he really has to take Grant's spot more-or-less permanently or miss out on selection for now I feel.

12. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Coniglio's first half on the weekend was a domination. He might need to average 80 odd compared to the 60 other rookies need to average to make the same amount but I'll take the extra 20 points a week from a playing rookie. If miles andshiel aren't named its going to be difficult to find someone else who'll score as highly as a mid rookie outside of magner.

13. graeme

graeme Guest

@AA "a domination" or "an abomination"?

I have not seen the time on field stats to make sense of his 54 DT points

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@hawks2008

I'm having trouble splitting Bower, Guthrie and Clarke.

You'd think recent injuries to Hunt, Laidler and Maxwell bodes well for all three's JS.

I think I'll wait to see if any are names actually on the field (and not on the bench) before confirming. Lucky none are GWS/Sydney so can be tweaked next week.

15. Corks

Corks Member

How much can we read into Morris big numbers vs GWS? My recollection is that he wasn't expected to be a high-scorer compared to other defensive options, so is the score this week more reflective of GWS below-standard, or is Morris a far stronger defensive Rookie than I thought?

16. Moblets

Moblets New Member

Morris is a poor mans Duigan. Should be solid but won't churn out those stats on a regular basis. Ellis would definitely be the pick of the two. I would also choose Bugg in front of him too.

17. Moblets

Moblets New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Nick on March 19, 2012, 20:24
    @hawks2008

I'm having trouble splitting Bower, Guthrie and Clarke.

You'd think recent injuries to Hunt, Laidler and Maxwell bodes well for all three's JS.

I think I'll wait to see if any are names actually on the field (and not on the bench) before confirming. Lucky none are GWS/Sydney so can be tweaked next week. </blockquote>

Guthrie, Clarke, Bower in that order for me. Guthrie will definitely be in the best 22 until Wojak returns. Clarke will be servicable but i'm slighlty concerned with his job security. A couple of stinkers and he will be dropped quickly. Bower looks to be playing more defensively so i don't see him pulling out 70's 80's too often.

18. Corks

Corks Member

Cheers Moblets, that's what I thought.

Your mob going to play any rookies this year? Dell'O seems on the outer now, and none of the others getting any gametime at all.

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

@chels, 39&#37; tog for 11 disposals at 73&#37; efficiency plus 5 marks

20. buzz

buzz Member

I think it's good this year how there is no obvious choices to spoon feed the masses with regarding rookies. Last year the tabloids had heaps of articles telling you to fill your side with players that went well. This year is a struggle as there are a lack of obvious choices. Research, hunches and educated guesses may get you ahead of the average joe.
    The likes of Magner, Neale, Shiel may be missing from round one team selection. Probably the 3 potential highest scoring rookies of the year.
    Is anyone prepared to pick one or two (or 3) of these guys if not named in round 1??
    At 94k I'm probably leaving magner in my team regardless of round 1 selection. If he is selected then I will likely pick the closest to fully fit out of the other 2. Now you can try and do a correction trade to get them early if missed but I'm trying to avoid that. As long as I have my other rookies playing then I'm thinking it's ok to have someone pull some zeroes on the bench for a week or 2. They will not translate to donuts on the field hopefully. That rookie may be peaking a little later than your mass of other rookies unless they pull some massive numbers games. Is strategy valid??