NAB Final/Challenge

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TerryinBangkok, Mar 12, 2011.

1. stowie

stowie Moderator

Some other SC scores from the FantasyFreako:

• Ward was one of the Bulldogs better players, collecting 24 disposals and 86 DT / 124 SC points
      Higgins finished with 17 disposals, 1 goal and 63 SC / 65 DT points
      K. Jack finished with 22 disposals, but only hit the target with 11 of them, scoring 59 SC points
      Kennedy finished with 20 disposals, 12 contested and 94 SC points
      B. Harvey 137, Thomas 126, Petrie 126, Ward 124 and S. Thompson 117
      Goodes 122, Everitt 120, Grundy 110, Smith 108 and Mumford 107. Goddard Saints best with 90
      Libba has 19 disposals and 81 SC
      J. Selwood 141, S. Johnson 134, J. Garlett 122, H. Scotland 109, D. Milburn 108
      Yarran had 22 disposals (15 in the first half) for 83 DT points (ranked eq11th) and 96 SC points
      Walker 154, Vince 114, Foley 113, Douglas 100 & Nahas 100

2. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Thanks for that stowie!

3. spud

spud New Member

Lions by 67 over the Suns

Lions: 17.19.121
    Suns: 7.12.54

4. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Does anyone know when all the NAB challange supercoach scores will be available from FantasyFreako?

5. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I would think probably not until Tuesday at the earliest.

6. stowie

stowie Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from NotTooSerious on March 13, 2011, 18:27
    Does anyone know when all the NAB challange supercoach scores will be available from FantasyFreako?</blockquote>

I've heard the email will come round on Thursday due to the public holiday.

7. spud

spud New Member

If they'd hurry up and respond to my resume application (from 2009?! good hint right there) I'd get them out to everyone tonight! :D

8. Corks

Corks Member

BRISBANE LIONS 2.5 9.10 12.16 17.20 (122)
    GOLD COAST 3.2 4.4 6.9 7.12 (54)

GOALS
    Brisbane Lions: Staker 3, Clark 2, Rocklif 2, Power, Rich, Banfield, Black, Redden, O'Brien, Maguire, Raines, Bewick, Beams
    Gold Coast: Dixon 2, Flanagan, Fraser, Patrick, Krakouer, Matera

BEST
    Brisbane Lions: Hanley, Staker, Rich, O'Brien, Beams, McGrath
    Gold Coast: Swallow, Matera, Fraser, Dixon, Tape

INJURIES
    Brisbane Lions: McCauley (ankle)
    Gold Coast: Daye (shoulder)

9. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Interesting, iirc, Seb Tape has been in GC's best for at least 2 of the Nab challenge/cup games. Anyone reckon he will play?

10. Corks

Corks Member

Wondering the same thing Ruddy. Have been following Toy till now, but Tape seems to be getting some attention.

11. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I've got no doubt Tape will play a fair bit this season - you need to keep in mind that the lad has already been playing senior footy in the SANFL for a season and a half and was one of his clubs best in finals last season.

12. Jason

Mike Sheehan put Tape at full back in his best 22 for the GC in today's Hun. Most full backs struggle to make an impact at SC, Brian Lake aside. I would be reluctant to pick Tape if his role really is going to be as a full back. But still looking at him nonetheless.

13. Bob

Bob New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Corks on March 13, 2011, 09:53
    Report on Josh Toy would be good Bob. Thinking he may be a great defensive rookie. Also Charlie Dixon. Thanks for the offer.</blockquote>

Let me start by saying it was difficult to get a read on the Suns players because they were pretty well smacked after the first 15 mins.

Dixon impressed me. Took some strong marks, presented well, dished off some very handy handballs, kicked a couple of goals - probably did enough to earn a spot on my team's bench.

Toy, disappointingly, was rarely sighted. He may have lost his spot in my team as a result.

Tape did some nice things, not sure he got enough of it to make an impact in SC tho.

Leuenberger went down like a sack of spuds in the third and had to be carried off. The worst was feared but it seems to have just been jarred. He was stretching shortly thereafter and was walking around fine in the fourth.

McCauley rolled his ankle.

I reckon Lester is now just about a lock for Rd 1 playing as a forward. He's a solidly built lad with good balance sticky hands and he's not afraid to get his hands dirty. My only concern would be if Brown's return pushes him out. Based off today my gut says the forward 6 will be: Brown, Clark, Lester, Power, Banfield, Buchanan

Bewick got a *heap* of it (~ 30 possies) playing the Dalziell relief valve role of old. He's a better kick than Dazzle though still has little hurt factor.

14. spud

spud New Member

Very good point, Jason.

What scores well in the backhalf from a supercoach perspective is the rebounding defender types. Long, penetrating kicks to a target.

Negating players aren't want you want. Presti was a fine example :) Poor bloke probably didn't total 100 SC points over his career...yet he did what the team needed him to on the field (if he and his opponent both scored 0 in SC, Presti will have had a fantastic day)

15. spud

spud New Member

Thanks for the write up, Bob. Appreciate it.

Interesting to hear your view on Dixon. I wonder if he has taken Prestias' spot in the lineup given his absence today, or whether Prestia was simply being rested? He is certainly nice and cheap, although lacking the multi position eligibility.

Trust McCauley to roll his ankle...nearly every R3/R4 spot this preseason has either been injured, unsighted, looking like being down the pecking order etc. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

Great to hear Lester is another one to consider now, and available as a back. Could be one to keep an eye on if a chosen rookie down back isn't named in the round1 teams.

I'm pleased to read you said Bewick got that many disposals. I was only following the game on twitter and had a feeling people might have been getting a bit carried away over nothing, but from the sounds of things he was as good, if not better, than all the talk.

Cheers mate.

16. Jason

Just looked into Dixon a little bit further - the kid is 200 cm tall but not apparently a ruck prospect for SC!

Great work Bob, very useful to read your thoughts.

What did you make of Claye Beams today? I'm guessing that his performance paled in comparison to Bewick's, but was it still worth noting?

17. Bob

Bob New Member

I was surprised to see Beams named amongst the best TBH. Upon reflection though, he would've racked up a few tackles, a couple of clearances, at least one goal assist. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the team for Rd 1 - the Lions need midfielders that can tackle and win the pill - and he's got some outside game ta boot.

Bewick got a lot of cheap possies in the back half, particularly in the second half, which left a lasting impression of him getting a lot of it. Whether he'd get the same freedom playing any team other than the Suns is another question. He's close to a lock for me now for DT...but not so sure about SC.

Another word of warning on Lester - he may make the ideal sub as he was recruited for his flexibility and can reportedly play back, forward or in the middle.

18. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

@Jason

Sorry not really on topic, but as the resident doggies expert just wanted to ask how u think the countering of the dogs midfield will go this year? I have seen Boyd and Griffen get tags before, but I suspected that Cooney might be up there too. Just wondering if u could shed some light. Looking at Higgins, Boyd and Cross in the mids. Anything u can tell me will help.

19. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

I reckon Dixon is a nice alternative to Prestia (assuming all already have Matera). Dixon was VC for GC last year so I am confident he has some Job certainty. Handy if you need an extra 40 odd Grand. Anyone else considering?

20. Corks

Corks Member

Bob - great stuff. Much appreciated.