Nuytsland Vikings

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by bryzza, Nov 28, 2014.

1. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Brodie Grundy
    #4 Collingwood Magpies
    Height: 203cm Weight: 102kg Position: Ruck Average:97.2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

MOST IMPROVED 2016
    BRODIE GRUNDY COLLINGWOOD

Grundy started the season as the second choice ruckman at Collingwood behind Jarrod Witts, who was selected for the opening round against Sydney. However, after splitting the webbing in his hand, Witts was ruled out the following week for the clash against Richmond, giving Grundy an unexpected call up which he certainly made the most of.

Although he lost the hit outs 16 to 28 against Sean Hampson, Grundy picked up 17 disposals and kicked the winning goal with only seconds remaining on the clock. It was an amazing start to his season, and it has only gotten better since.

Grundy has improved on an almost weekly basis in season 2016. He is not only more competitive in ruck contests, but also acts as an extra midfielder when the ball hits the ground.

Ranked 10th for total hit outs, Grundy gathers more disposals around the ground than any of his peers with 17.9 per game. 9.7 of those possessions are contested, while he is also ranked third among ruckmen for tackles with 4.3 and equal second for marks with 3.8 per game.

At only 22 years of age, Grundy’s output is as good, and in most cases better than any other present ruckman in the competition at the same stage of their careers. With at least four years to go until he hits his prime as a ruckman it is scary to think of how good Grundy could actually be when he does.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

MOST IMPROVED 2016
    SEB ROSS ST KILDA

After being selected with pick 25 in the 2011 National Draft, Sebastian Ross made his debut the following year in Round 22 against the Giants as the starting substitute. In a game the Saints won by a massive 128 points, Ross picked up eight disposals and laid four tackles.

Over the next three seasons Ross made another 36 senior appearances. 13 in 2013 and 2014, and 10 last year. Although his averages improved slightly in each of those seasons – 15.2 disposals in 2013, 15.8 in 2014 and 18.2 last year, Ross was still considered a fringe player at the Saints.

However, in a sign of things to come Ross finished the 2015 season very strongly, playing the last five games averaging 21.2 disposals, 3.2 marks and 5.2 tackles.

Following a very impressive NAB Challenge campaign, Ross was selected in the opening game of the season against Port Adelaide gathering 30 disposals for the first time in his career.

Ross has not missed a game since, and has gone on to gather over 30 disposals in a game a further six times. In all he has made 20 appearances for the season and is averaging 26.1 disposals at an efficiency rate of 75.5 percent, 4.1 marks and 4.4 tackles per game.

Whether he has been given a run with role or played as a traditional midfielder, Ross has been outstanding for the Saints in 2016 and is a major reason behind the clubs’ rise from this season from the bottom tiers of the ladder to being just out of reach of finals.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  5. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

7. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Sam Mitchell hangs up his size nines

Four-time premiership star and Brownlow medallist Sam Mitchell has no doubt it is the right time for him to retire, declaring his passion to coach outweighs his desire to continue playing at West Coast.

The former Hawthorn champion made the announcement he will hang up the boots at season's end at a media conference attended by his wife Lyndall and three children at Eagles' headquarters on Wednesday morning.

Mitchell said retirement was a "reasonably simple decision, which I probably came to in the early part of the season" and he described his career as "an absolutely brilliant journey".

"It's no great surprise but it's time for me to hang up the little waddle and the little size nines at the end of the season," Mitchell said.

"The reason for me …. Monday mornings I wake up and I've got some coaching responsibilities and some playing responsibilities.

"The idea of opening my computer and doing the coaching side of things is a bit more exciting and the passion for that has outgrown the passion to jump in the pool and do my own recovery.

"I feel like the time for me is right."

He said he had announced his decision now to allow friends and family to attend the Eagles' last fixtured Melbourne match against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

However, he was confident that West Coast would still make the finals.

"I'm really excited for what can happen in the next eight weeks," Mitchell said.

Mitchell will be remembered as one of the game's greatest midfielders, with his razor-sharp football brain and elite kicking skills shining through despite his lack of pace.

"I don't know if everyone watched the Bulldogs-Essendon game on the weekend, that was lightning quick," he said.

"My mind is keeping me up with the game at the moment, but that won't last forever.

"If Simmo (coach Adam Simpson) said 'nah, we're desperate for you to play next year' I'd say 'thanks, but no thanks, mate'."

Simpson declared that Mitchell "goes down as one of the game's greats", describing him as "all class".

"I think you've got to look at what achieved and very, very comfortably you could say he's one of the game's greats," Simpson said.

"His biggest asset is his brain and what he could do on-field and carry that body around for 15 or 16 years, multiple premierships, captain, Brownlow, All Australians, all the accolades are there.

"It will take time but I think he'll grow into a really good coach."

Simpson said West Coast had not finalised its coaching structure for 2018, with Mitchell stepping into a full-time role next year.

Mitchell, 34, sensationally was traded by Hawthorn to the Eagles at the end of last season after 307 games and four flags with the Hawks.

At the time, it was confirmed that Mitchell would transition into a coaching role with West Coast after a period as a player, having agreed to a four-year deal with the club.

Mitchell didn't feel awkward announcing his retirement in Eagles colours, declaring that his Hawks exploits were his past and West Coast was his future.

"To the Hawks fans I would say … thank you because it was a huge journey that we went on," he said.

"I never felt anything but supported.

"Not one Hawthorn fan has ever come up to me and abused me and I can't imagine there's too many people who have left a football club could say that.

"I feel good that I've left them in a good position. Hopefully it's been a win-win (for both clubs)."

Mitchell was awarded the 2012 Brownlow Medal, along with Richmond captain Trent Cotchin, in a special ceremony in December last year after Essendon champion Jobe Watson returned his medal as part of the fallout from the Bombers' supplements saga.

Mitchell is the second Eagles Brownlow winner to retire in a week, with 2014 medallist Matt Priddis announcing last Friday that he would hang up the boots at the end of the season.

Mitchell's career has been a tale of overcoming the odds and finding a way to succeed.

He was overlooked in the 2000 national draft, but forced his way onto an AFL list after dominating for the Box Hill Hawks in the VFL.

After debuting in round five, 2002, he went on to win the '03 NAB AFL Rising Star award.

Mitchell became a premiership captain in 2008, was All Australian three times and last year won his fifth Peter Crimmins Medal as Hawthorn's club champion, second only to the immortal Leigh Matthews' eight.

"I think I could always just find a way," Mitchell said.

"Whatever the game threw at me, whether that was my body shape or I couldn't kick too far, I just always found a way.

"I feel like early in my career I was one of those guys who gave up the Saturday nights and when everyone else was out having fun I stayed home and did the right thing.

"I'm really proud of that now.

"All those sacrifices you make in the early days of your career, I'm glad that I made them now.

"Sometimes it doesn't work out, but I feel like the universe looked after me and I had some success along the way – and hopefully a little bit more later this year."

Mitchell has played 16 games for West Coast and helped coach centre bounces this year, even looking at stoppage structures on a laptop from the interchange bench during games.

Taking on a senior coaching role is not on his radar yet, with the thrill of helping others improve their football his focus in the immediate future.

"I'm genuinely excited to get my teeth into it."

8. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

RETIRING club great Matthew Boyd hasn't been guaranteed a farewell game by the club, but the veteran is keen to win a spot back in the Western Bulldogs side ahead of a possible finals campaign.

Boyd announced at a packed media conference on Tuesday in front of family and friends that this season would be his last at AFL level.

With the reigning premiers needing to win at least two of their remaining three games to play finals, Boyd will struggle to gain senior selection due to an Achilles complaint.

He won't play at any level this weekend due to the nagging injury, following 26 disposals in the VFL last weekend.

Turning 35 on August 27, the 291-game veteran said he still had hopes of again representing the club he loves dearly.

"Whether or not it's called a farewell game, I'd love to get myself back into the AFL side," Boyd said on Tuesday.

"I've really enjoyed my time in the VFL, it's been a fantastic learning experience … but I'd love to pull on the Western Bulldogs jumper again if the coaches see fit.

"I still feel I have plenty to give – both on and off the field for this footy club.

"I'm excited about what the next seven weeks hold, and how I can continue to contribute."

Boyd is a three-time All Australian and former club captain, but injuries and indifferent form have limited him to just nine senior appearances this year after he was part of the Dogs' premiership win last season.

Despite spending time in the VFL this year, Boyd said he had no regrets about playing on into a 15th AFL season after finishing 2016 as an All Australian.

Matthew Boyd and his family at Tuesday's announcement. Picture: AFL Photos[​IMG]

"I finish with absolutely no doubts about my ability to contribute," Boyd said.

"Last year ... I still felt like I had something to give.

"It's been a fantastic journey. I knew this year was going to be my last.

"I feel extremely fortunate to play the game as long as I played."

For a player taken with pick 23 in the 2002 NAB AFL rookie draft, the highly-decorated midfielder has given great service to a club that spotted him toiling away in the VFL reserves.

In round 12, he broke the record for the most games played by a rookie draftee, eclipsing Eagle Dean Cox's mark of 290 matches.

Boyd has averaged 25 disposals per game in his career to date (the second most by a Bulldogs player who has played more than 100 games), and has kicked 85 goals.

He also claimed three club best and fairest awards, and represented Australia in the 2008 and 2010 International Rules series against Ireland.

9. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Leigh Montagna announces his retirement after 287 games with St Kilda
    [​IMG]

LEIGH Montagna has announced his retirement, ending his decorated career after 287 games and five top-three finishes on the Trevor Barker Award.

As reported in the Herald Sun today, Montagna had his exit meeting with coach Alan Richardson on Wednesday morning where he decided he will retire and move into a new media career.

“For the past sixteen years, the St Kilda Football Club has been my home and I couldn’t be more grateful for the opportunity to play out my career as a one club player,” Montagna said.
    “I want to thank my friends and family, in particular my parents and wife Erinn for their unconditional support.

“To my teammates, past and present, it has been an honour to share the field and the changerooms with you and I will cherish the many lifelong friendships I have made.”

Montagna injured his hamstring in Round 18 against Sydney in what would turn out to be the final game of his career.
    While that injury meant his career came to an abrupt end, the Saints great says he’s comfortable with the decision.

“As I wasn’t a chance to play again this season there was no rush in making a decision,” Montagna said.

“I wanted to take my time and weigh up my options which I have done. Ultimately I have decided that the time is right to retire.

“If this club is to achieve what we are striving for then I feel that the time is right for me to step aside and provide more opportunity to our younger players and allow them to flourish.”

“I feel incredibly lucky to have played for as long as I have, but I am ready for, and looking forward to, the next chapter of my life.”
    Montagna was given a range of scenarios for 2018 by the club after his season-ending hamstring injury but the Saints can’t guarantee him a spot in their best 22 next year.

His wife effectively confirmed the decision on social media during the club’s Mad Monday celebrations, with Richardson not denying Montagna’s intention at AFL 360 on Monday night.

Montagna still put together an excellent season this year off halfback but at 33 the Saints have the likes of Brandon White and Bailey Rice who need more opportunities.

Montagna never won a best-and-fairest award in a star-studded St Kilda side but was twice recognised with All-Australian honours.

His leadership around the club has been consistently lauded by Richardson, with Montagna already setting up a media career.

10. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

ALL AUSTRALIANS

Tom Mitchell (Haw)
    Games: 22. Total points: 2615. Average: 119. SuperCoach tons: 20.

We all knew his scoring ability but underestimated just how good he could be as the main man. Mitchell, in his first season as a Hawk and out of the shadows of former team-mates Josh Kenney, Dan Hannebery and Luke Parker, took his game to another level. The ball magnet broke Lachie Neale’s disposal record and scored more than 100 points in all but two games. And in those two matches he scored 98 and 85.
    [​IMG]
    Matt Crouch (Adel)
    Games: 22. Total points: 2434. Average: 111. SuperCoach tons: 15.

What a year for the Crow midfielder. Crouch Jnr tallied 726 disposals — only Mitchell had more — and lifted his SuperCoach average from 93 to 111, on the back of a dominant second half of the year. The 22-year-old posted 11 SuperCoach tons on the trot from rounds 10 to 21, before finishing with a huge 45-disposal, 146-point performance against the Eagles in round 23.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  12. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  13. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  14. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

2017 MSD

31. J.Cousins (Delisted 2019)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

2017 PSD

20. T.English
    24. B.Scheer (Nuytsland Vikings send Brad Scheer to Christmas Island Smugglers for PSD53 2017)
    30. D.Kent (Nuytsland Vikings send Dean Kent, MSD36, and PSD R2 to Blanchetown Bunyips for Sam Mitchell and PSD R4 2017)
    40. D.Clarke (Delisted 2018)
    67. B.Williams

16. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

2017 Mini PSD

25. K.Mutch (Nuytsland Vikings send Kobe Mutch to Coolgardie Propectors for PSD 66 2017)
    26. H.Balic (Delisted 2018)

17. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

2016 MSD

5. A.Young (Delisted 2018)
    41. J.Wagner (Nuytsland Vikings send Josh Wagner to Eden Whalers for PSD24 2016)

18. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

2016 PSD

17. J.Sinclair (Delisted 2016)
    22. T.Mclean
    30. D.Howe
    42. J.Townsend (Delisted 2016)
    43. S.Menegola (Nuytsland Vikings send Sam Menegola, PSD43, and MSD R2 (originally Christmas Island) to Korumburra Blowflies for Leigh Montagna and PSD20 2016)

19. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

2015 MSD

7. L.Picken (Nuytsland Vikings send Liam Picken and PSD13 to Korumburra Blowflies for Steve Motlop, PSD57 and MSD R2 2016)
    21. N.Krakour (Delisted 2016)
    24. C.Gregson (Delisted 2016)

20. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

2015 PSD

1. C.Petracca
    5. I.Heeney
    15. S.Biggs (Nuytsland Vikings send Shane Biggs, PSD53 & MSD R1 to Staghorn Flat Bulls for Ryan Griffen and PSD23. 2017)
    70. S.Ross
    73. A.Vandenberg (Nuytsland Vikings send Aaron Vandenberg & PSD R1 to Southercross Sandgropers for Luke Shuey & PSD R3 2015)