"Old Man" Whinge Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, May 12, 2017.

1. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

I endorse this whole fucking thread. love it

• Like Like x 3
  2. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

I see your point but the lols @ Freo are priceless :p.

3. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

Agreed. What sort of example is this ️setting!? A much lauded, undoubted champion of the game resorts to this ridiculously moronic display of cheating to help get his team over the line - madness! The free kick should've been paid against him and he should also miss a game for it.

Let's stamp out this diving and faking right away before it becomes a blight on our great game - ala soccer!

4. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

The boffins on breakfast / sports radio this morning in Melbourne largely applauded Dick Riewoldt for this pathetic act. Made me sick to hear it.

They basically said "good on him the cheeky devil" and added Logue "should've been smarter" and not got sucked in.

The only reasonable call made was that the closest umpire should've had more awareness during the whole debacle and if he didn't see it, then one of the other nearby umpires should've intervened, overturned the decision and let common sense prevail.

This has to be one of the worst 50m penalties and resultant gimme goals in the history of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I don't argue with that. I have no problem with Freo losing - its just that Nick had to effectively cheat to get the upper hand.

6. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Look, have to disagree with you on this one. Are we all that old that we have forgotten about those competitive juices that flow? For me, I remember the constant back chat i gave the opposition to put them off there game or the continued questing of umpires calls. Whether it was playing tennis i was a brat ala John McEnroe, basketball or indoor cricket getting in ears of my opponent and even at my team mates who are not performing ala Heath Shaw. AFL is not a gentleman's game, there is plenty that goes on during a game that we do not hear. Should players really have to give the ball back on the full, childish in my mind or the penalty is to harsh. Id like to see the ball go back to the umpire as players always look confused as to who the free kick has gone to. Just another rule the AFL tinkered with when there was no real cause to bring it in. I may have digressed but my point is still the same on the full or back to the player with the free kick, give it to the umpire

7. JPK

No happy endings in Banchang mate. Didn't we already establish this?
    :p:p:):)

8. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Big Mummy seems to think so.............;);););)

9. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

I concur......as I have been on the receiving end of no match reports twice and last week will be the third if no report is done. Really disappointing as this is an integral part of our game

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. choppers

I thought Hayden Ballantyne had the "serial pest" title all to himself, but Tom Papley and James Sicily have taken it to a new level....

Both of them are talented, but really annoy the cr*p outta me, with their "in your face" antics..............:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Like Like x 1
  11. JPK

Didn't watch either game - what happened?

12. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

You can add Toby Greene to that list.

• Like Like x 4
  13. choppers

MEMO TO DON PYKE:

Don't ever play Riley Knight as a tagger again.....

14. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Not happy with 79? his disposal efficiency was 94 but what let his score down was not that he was tagging but Riley only spent 76% on the ground .........

15. choppers

No mate. I'm referring to last week's game where he tagged and got 16 SC pts....I'm rapt with his game today. Just let him do what he does best.
    And same with Greenwood, regarding TOG....only 63% today. I don't think he's had over 70% all year....must need another pre-season methinks....

• Like Like x 1
  16. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    As was dreaded by all Collingwood supporters and expected by most football fans, on Monday afternoon the Match Review Panel suspended Brodie Grundy for his tackle on North Melbourne’s Ben Brown which rendered the Kangaroo forward unconscious, and saw him spend the night under observation in hospital.

The MRP assessed the tackle as dangerous, grading it as careless conduct with high impact to the head, resulting in a three-match ban reduced to two if Grundy accepts the charge.

Although the three-week suspension was perhaps surprising, as were Brown’s on the night of the incident their hands were tied. After handing out a one game suspension to Patrick Dangerfield last week, and thus ruling him ineligible to win the Brownlow Medal, Grundy’s fate was sealed as soon as Brown’s head hit the ground.

In his post-match media conference when asked by reporters for his thoughts on the tackle, Nathan Buckley referred to it as “perfect”. Unfortunately for Grundy and the Magpies, Buckley was only 95.24 percent correct in his assessment.

Only 95.24 percent, because for 2.1 seconds of the 2.2 seconds the tackle lasted, it was perfect. However, in that last tenth of a second as Brown’s head hit the ground, the tackle went from being perfect to dangerous.

Grundy did as every young footballer has been taught to do for over 100 years – pin your opponent’s arms and drag him to the ground.

The officiating umpire, who was only metres away and with a clear view, agreed with Buckley’s assessment of the tackle and duly awarded a free kick against Brown for dropping the ball.

By the letter of the law however, his ruling was incorrect. But unlike the MRP, who have the advantage of slow motion replays from all manner of different angles and like Grundy himself, the umpire had only a split second to make his decision, and, also like Grundy, technically he got it wrong.

Yet how many other tackles on the weekend were also ‘technically’ dangerous, but did not draw the attention of the MRP?

Indeed, only a few minutes before the Grundy/Brown incident on the other side of the ground, Collingwood had been paid a free kick for a dangerous tackle after one of their players had been flung over the boundary line with his head hitting the ground.

And this was not the only free kick given for a dangerous tackle over Round 20, yet Grundy’s, whose was ruled as perfect by the umpire was the only one be sanctioned. The only reason being because Brown was knocked unconscious.

Now, while the AFL and MRP may deny this, it has proven to be true that the result, rather than the action is what the player is punished for. In a high contact sport with no offside rule, this is a ridiculous state of affairs. Particularly when players found guilty of deliberately striking are given less.

While protecting the players’ head should be of paramount importance, in a game such as AFL football injuries will always occur, and occasionally players will be knocked out in the usual course of a game. And for 117 of 119 years tackles such as Grundy’s have been part and parcel of that game.

What the AFL are asking of the players is impossible. How many decisions can be made and actioned upon in 2.2 seconds? For that’s how long Grundy had to stop his tackle after it started – and had Brown not been rendered unconscious, it wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

Of course no-one likes to see players injured or laying prostrate on the ground as medicos carefully attempt to put him on a stretcher. However neither do we want to see the game so watered down it is unrecognisable to that with which we grew up with.

17. JPK

I'm no expert, but for mine, Grundy tavkled Brown well, but then her turned and instead of draging Brown to the ground, he turned the wrong way and shoved Brown to the ground. A good tackle turned into a dangerous tackle simply by not being aware (in my opinion).

• Like Like x 1
  18. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

yeah shit decision. don't like it at all.

19. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

in a split second rolling someone in a tackle is not that easy, especially the size of player brown is. So many variables you can not expect a player to be in control of. A dangerous tackle is only perceived dangerous if you hurt a player , if you take a players knees out and not hurt them it's still a free kick why is tackling different? Even though I wouldn't want to go down that path..........of paying a free kick, perfect tackle

20. JPK

Grundy tackled Brown. Then tried lifting him up and dumping him to the left. All Grundy needed to do was fall to his right, pulling Brown down to the right, and everything would have been ok.
    My issue is with the attempted lift and being driven (to the left) to the ground.