Open discussion, followed by vote on any proposed change that has legs for the

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by TerryinBangkok, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean we nominate a starting 15... and after the 3 bye rounds we take the best score from the 2 games each player played... or do you mean we nominate a different 15 each week and take the best weekly score over the three weeks?

2. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Banditto, I read it as snOZ suggesting, because of manual scoring, before the first bye round we nominate players into the five positions (plus E's) and then take the better score for each player (or E if he does not play) from the two weeks they play (or the best score if we have another port v suns stuff up in China). The selection of players by position (including I/C players) would be an important part of this or we could see (admittedly at the extreme) 15 mids being the 15 best scores for a team.

So, we could be manually scoring an ORFFA round and the ORFFA SOO over the byes while trading and drafting. That does not seem too arduous for a group as redoubtable as us ORFFANs. Once players are set in a team would they be tradeable with the new owner or the FA pool only taking possession after the bye ounds?

Have always been a fan of this idea although I seem to recall Len had some reservations about it on what seemed quite solid grounds. As Gillon would say "The integrity of the comp is paramount, as long as it does not put our salaries at risk."

P.S. I do not want to put words into sNOz's mouth that later become factoids.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Bandit

better factoids than hemorrhoids my friend.

If that's the case the scoring bit is fairly easy... I can setup my fantastico spreadsheet to track the score the same way I do for State of Origin in those same weeks. I have all sorts of pseudo accountant trickery in this thing!

Then we just need our beloved peeps to put in their 15 man lineup into a thread like we do now.

So I guess what I am saying is that IF this change got approved (as it would be subject to vote), I can do the scoring on behalf of ORFFA for very little additional effort.

What I would need is OOP players called out very clearly so I can account for them without having to think about it :)

This is an important consideration... but one that can be easily addressed as you suggest by saying that the player doesn't complete his transfer until the end of the 3rd bye round

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Imaging playing one last game for a club that had already delisted you, lol...
    How would you approach it? Do your best, hoping for a new job, or would you intentionally spud to sabotage the game giving the bird to your old club...

5. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts ant:
    1. If already delisted by an ORFFA side then the player would not be eligible for the rounds in question; and
    2. afl players play for the club they have contracted with, not their ORRFA or SC side. My decision to delist Bob Noskill does not change his performance unless I am paranoid.

I think Banditto is floating an idea that could work without yet thinking through all the detail. Assisting through the process of making an idea work is part of our ORRFA ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Will read properly later, but just putting it out there, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy simpler and completely not manual to run two rounds at once, all that has to happen is when the fixture is uploaded there is twice as many games for that round.
    Zero complications re byes, three weeks of draft and trades not least to say having the manually scored games manually entered into ts (assuming it's something Les is willing to do) so the ladder and F/A is correct.

• Like Like x 3
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Much like @ChiefRussell , I'm happy enough with the status quo for finals and fixture. However, if the majority decide that change is required I find this is always a reasonable approach:

[​IMG]

Edit: so I'd follow Len's advice above if we're going to do something different. :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bandit

Good point didn't think of that

• Like Like x 2
  9. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

1. Ok fair point, I hadn't picked up on that.
    2. I disagree and I refuse to accept your reality.

10. snoz

snoz Moderator

See I'm not that stupid...........

1. Pick the squad of 15 & E's prior to the bye rounds - exactly like the SOO
    2. Best score for each player over the 2/3 rounds = Orffa round score
    3. Any player traded cannot switch teams until completion of said bye rounds
    4. We've added that elusive round, and now ORFFA finals can reflect exactly the AFL Final Series
    (I'm a fan of this last point - think ORFFA teams that finish top 4 should get a double chance)

I can float it to Trump and see what he thinks as well..........

• Like Like x 1
  11. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Simon my man i value your input as much if not more than most, but respectfully you look back at what I have posted on the pragmatic aspects of the topic and review positional status.
    2019 y'all can do as you like whilst I bask in my retirement glow :p

• Like Like x 4
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I was just commenting on my preference for simplicity, not the potential side effects of exposure to Trumpification. :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. snoz

snoz Moderator

Fair enough Lenski - so its either a double round in Rd 14 after the Byes which should be able to be automated Vs a rolling bye game over the three rounds, but that's most likely manual. I'm good for either way - if you think the double round is the way to go I'm all for it.

Its the end game that I'm trying to get to - a Final Series that mirrors the AFL.

Good discussions all !!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bandit

• Like Like x 2
  15. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Ah, the simple honesty of ORFFANs communicating with each other. That's one of the things I'd really miss if not part of this community.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

upload_2017-9-7_13-27-51.jpeg

• Like Like x 2