Opinion Piece: The Booing of Adam Goodes

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 28, 2015.

By Iain on Jul 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

There is no place for racism in the AFL.

It is as simple as that.

The booing controversy surrounding Adam Goodes currently, however, isn't quite as simple.

Goodes is an undisputed legend of the game; he has played 365 games (most ever at Sydney, 9th most in the AFL), kicked 454 goals (5th most at Sydney, 67th most in the AFL), won 2 premierships, 2 Brownlow medals and has been an All-Australian 4 times.

Those numbers stack up with anyone who has ever played this great game.

So why is he being incessantly booed at away games across the country this year? Racism appears to be the general consensus among the media and AFL luminaries, and even Goodes himself, but from what I have personally seen it's a lot less sinister than that.

The fact that Goodes has been racially vilified also cannot be disputed, there have been well documented cases of this happening repeatedly in the last couple of years, but to label the constant booing as racist in its entirety is simply not correct.

Take Sunday's game against West Coast as an example. Goodes was booed by what seemed to be the majority of the crowd whenever he touched the ball, and two spectators were ejected over racial abuse. Any more than zero incidents of racism is too many, but when there is a crowd of almost 40,000 people with a large number of them booing and only two cases of racism emerge it has to be evident that there is a separate issue at play here as well.

Again, racism should not be tolerated at any level of sport or society, but commentators also need to be careful when labelling things such as this as it can often be a case of adding more fuel to the fire.

I have talked to several people about Goodes' case, primarily people who have themselves booed Goodes this season, and the consensus I have received is vastly different to the one being portrayed by the AFL and media. The most common reason given for the booing? Goodes is a bit of a sook.”

Simply put, the more Goodes complains about his treatment, the more booing he receives. When he stands in front of the media and states that he is being booed and that it upsets him, opposition fans take note and will then boo him more the next time that they are at one of his games. When AFL executives, club coaches and even players stand up for Goodes, it is seen as akin to dobbing”.

Remember when you were in high school and that kid who was getting picked on complained to the teacher, who then told everyone to stop picking on them? What happened? Inevitably, that poor kid got picked on even more. I'm not condoning this sort of thing, for the record, but it is something that I feel really needs considering here.

]Coupled with this is the fact that those members of the crowd that have booed Goodes are being called racists, and their only right of reply is essentially through further booing next time they see Goodes at a game. If someone called you a racist, would you respond positively?
    ]

Ryan Crowley, Hayden Ballantyne, Lindsey Thomas, Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Jobe Watson. These are just some of the names that have been repeatedly booed by AFL fans either this year or in recent seasons past, so why is Goodes any different?

In any team sport these days a hostile away crowd is part of the game. If you want proof, just take a look at the US. Crowds are often heard chanting you ****ed up” when (primarily) opposition players make mistakes, when an NFL team visits the Seattle Seahawks they are certain to have to waste valuable time-outs as the home crowd makes so much noise on defense that the offensive players can't even hear each other yell, and professional athletes such as LeBron James are the subject of chants ranging from MVP” at home games to arsehole” and you're a flopper” (accusing him of staging/diving) at away fixtures.

By booing Goodes, the crowd are involving themselves in the game. If they can upset Goodes on the field, and in turn affect his performance, it will benefit their team and they most likely will do so. On the whole AFL spectators are an intelligent group but, like all groups of people, there are some that are ignorant, not very bright or simply racists. These people need to be informed that their behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated, but calling on all fans to not boo any one player is in my mind a step too far.

From my personal experiences, I have given Lindsey Thomas a huge spray while he was lining up for goal just last season. I informed him that I thought he has staged for free kicks in the past, that he wasn't capable of kicking the goal and that maybe he should consider retiring, just not in those exact words. The end result was Thomas slotting the goal to give North Melbourne the lead and then turning to me after the kick and with a big smile giving me a fist pump. For me, this is the perfect reaction and the appropriate one. Lewis Jetta's response to the West Coast crowd on Sunday is another example of what I would consider a perfect reaction, he kicked a goal and celebrated with a war dance aimed at the hostile crowd.

In the last few days several figures in the AFL have offered their viewpoints on this matter, such as Melbourne coach Paul Roos being quoted as saying If Adam feels it's racist, well, it is racist”. I'm sorry Paul, but I really don't think it works like that. There is certainly an element of bullying involved, but if the majority of fans booing are booing for reasons that have nothing to do with race, how can it be racist? Sydney player Lewis Jetta also stood up for Goodes and stated that as a legend of the game he should be shown more respect. I would actually argue that he is being shown respect, if Goodes wasn't a great player and had no impact on the ground then no-one would bother with the booing. The fact that he is capable of turning a game single-handedly, coupled with the fact that he has admitted that the booing affects him, are the reasons opposition fans will continue to boo.

I have to say here that I personally have never been the target of discrimination, other than the ordinary. I don't know what it is like to be racially vilified, and as such can never truly understand the issue from the perspective of the victim. I also don't claim to speak for everyone booing Goodes, as much as any other person I can only go by what I know and have personally observed. I can also appreciate that racism is a blight that needs to be eradicated, but labelling anything negative against someone of a different ethnicity as racist is an act of racism in itself. ‘You can't treat someone differently, just because they are different.' Why not? ‘Because they are different.' See the problem there?

Obviously this is a complex issue, and almost every person will have their own opinions on the matter. Like all matters in the AFL this one will eventually be resolved in time, but in my mind this is an issue that will most likely go away as soon as everyone (now including me) stops talking about it so much.

The opinions contained within this piece are those of the author and the author alone, and they do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of TooSerious.net.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 28, 2015.

1. anthak
      anthak
      oh my. how did I miss this article. I kinda wish I had. BB, many of your arguments are so flawed. It is disappointing that you have put them on a site like this.
      I have not had time to read the comments yet, and I have not got time to write much more now, but I will when I get a chance.

I stand with Adam!
    2. anthak
      anthak
      Awesome P_L!
    3. anthak
      anthak
      very good points turnitups
    4. anthak
      anthak
      Ok, im gradually making my way through all of these comments, and I had thought I would wait to the end before writing anything. Mainly because much of what I wanted to say is being written by others...
      however, I cant go past this.

There are huge problems with giving the perception that your article is balanced. It is not balanced. It is racism in disguise.

Whether it is pretending or not, showing a balanced view just allows for your more extreme views to be more easily accepted than they would have otherwise been able to be. Which is a worry.

Its a sneakier way of saying 'Im not racist, but...'

5. anthak
      anthak
      I gave you a thumbs up Zander. Good post!
      I want to add a bit about the comments of the commentators, because its a very important aspect of the institutionalised racism here, especially in sport. Black fellas are often spoken of as being quicker, more agile, jump higher etc, and even magical, but these comments are often not fair as they just perpetuate these myths which are hard to live up to for the average Aboriginal person. Spirituality may be a big part of many Aboriginal cultures in Australia, but referring to these players as magical, doesnt respect the hard work that goes into it, as you have pointed out Zander. Its a bit of a bug bear of mine. And I actually think its something Goodes spoke about a few years ago too.

Also, sometimes people do need to be treated differently to others because they are different. Its a way of levelling the playing field. It is 'indirect discrimination' if someone is not treated differently when they actually should have been.

Here's a definition: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/quick-guide/12049

6. anthak
      anthak
      Ive just read through all of the comments and I am heartened by many of the responses.

Im not going to add much more.

Two things though. these last few days, listening to footy talk back radio mainly, i was surprised by the level of ignorance (im being soft) in so many people. Like, I have heard so many people call up and say things like. 'Its not racism, its because he is a sook' or 'Its not racism, its because he is trying to educate people and we dont want to be educated'
      these are racist points in themselves. ridiculous.

I also want to point out a section of the Victorian Equal Opportunity Act 2010:

In section 7, it states:

(2),,In determining whether a person directly discriminates it is irrelevant—
      ,(a),whether or not that person is aware of the discrimination or considers the treatment to be unfavourable;
      ,(b),whether or not the attribute is the only or dominant reason for the treatment, provided that it is a substantial reason.

full stop.
    7. Owen
      Owen
      I agree with the points on how (most of) the commentators are always praising the aboriginal players for their finesse, quickness, etc. I've always thought this had racist undertones. Bruce does it the most with Cyril and it's really off putting to me.
    8. Crafty Yarni
      Crafty Yarni
      I won't be hidden and add a like or dislike your comment, instead i'll show my comments.

Reading your comment and I thought, we have a differing opinion on this and I'll just let it go through to the keeper.

What irritated me was an assumption I have made that the same person disliked my comments yet liked your comments.

Port you said I can switch channels but Adam Goodes can not. The last time I remembered, I was called a wog during Primary and High School. I also couldn't switch off. I also didn't have this 'so called privilege'

As for a reason on why he is getting booed - I stated it's because people don't like him, his antics, mannerisms or whatever else it may be.

If my assumption is correct, I would love to hear from the person who disliked my comments, yet agreed with the comment of port that followed.

9. Crafty Yarni
      Crafty Yarni
      really!!!! - 'so what your highlighting anth is that if you boo your a racist - or for a better part, discriminating against someone'

So, J.Waite getting booed against his old club, Can he file for damages under the Magistrates Court.

Better still, maybe the umpires can use the above section and file for damages?

10. Crafty Yarni
      Crafty Yarni
      and no, a racist undertone would not be a valid reason for booing

11. anthak
      anthak
      nah, its just pointing out that you cant say it was a joke, or an accident as defense for racism. If it is racism, it is. People should be more aware than to boo a person for standing up for their culture. Even if they say it was for a different reason/s.

12. Iain
      Iain
      So because I said that not every single person who booed Goodes did so due to racism I'm a racist, and I'm pretending to be balanced so that my extreme views are better accepted?

Feel free to continue to comment, and this goes to everyone here, but I've already devoted too much time and energy to this article and it's obviously just devolving into an argument so I won't be posting further replies in here. Have a good one.
    13. anthak
      anthak
      Sorry BB, I prob should have been a tad more diplomatic in my delivery of that message.
      It more came from a long time angst at right wing conservative media folk who pretend they are balanced to push their own agenda. Many who dont think critically enough dont see through it.

I was also backing up turnitups.

Basically, if you feel the racist elements need to be removed and dealt with, and that racism should not be tolerated, then in my opinion, that is worth fighting for, rather than all this other bs

14. Iain
      Iain
      No worries ant, it is a divisive and emotive topic.

I do think that the racist elements need to be removed and dealt with, that is something we can agree on.
    15. anthak
      anthak