ORFFA 2014 PreSeason Draft Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Mar 2, 2014.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Len wrote:
    Nice article in the HS ant.. The 5 choices at the end were interesting, were they yours or edited? If yours would you have delisted a 5th to get Georgiou? I particularly liked him myself and was hoping he'd last until 92, clearly a fantasy game of itself :p Thanks Len. Nah I didnt add those 5 players in. That was them, but Im fairly happy with their selections :) - even tho I dont actually have JKH in my team at present ;) I was already waay over the word limit, so didnt add suggested players etc, but I was stoked they didnt cut out any of my words I submitted :) Here's a link if anyone's interested: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...

2. grav

grav Guest

chris88 wrote:
    Meanwhile Tom Lynch from Adelaide looks like he's busted his arm. Much and all as I think Chris Newman is way too good a player to leave on the FA list (and boy am I tempted to pick him up) ... I'm not going to. However I do have to keep up my Richmond quota at Darraweit Guim, so we are going to draft in a young forward from South Australia by the name of Matty 'Madonna' McDonough. Reckon he might play a few games this year across half back and/or half forward. Pick 70-something or other - Matty McDonough, Richmond, Forward Dislocated shoulder - Dang! Anywho was gonna grab this guy regardless. #82 Jarrad Grant, Fwd, Dogs

3. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Good pick Gravenger. Before the PSD the Cradle Mountain recruiting department compiled a roughlist ofwho they expected to be picked in the top 50 and Grant was one of those names. Still got five players from that list who haven't been selected, it will interesting to see how many remain at the end of the draft. The only player selected in the top 30 who wasn't on the list was Gold Coast rookieAndrew Boston taken byLen at pick 20.Of the players on the CMD recruiting stafftop 50 list 39 of them were selected in the top 50.

4. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

With pick # 85 the Packers take Alex Woodward. And thus, my personal shortlist shrinks further ;)

5. Len

dmandrews wrote:
    Good pick Gravenger. Before the PSD the Cradle Mountain recruiting department compiled a roughlist ofwho they expected to be picked in the top 50 and Grant was one of those names. Still got five players from that list who haven't been selected, it will interesting to see how many remain at the end of the draft. The only player selected in the top 30 who wasn't on the list was Gold Coast rookieAndrew Boston taken byLen at pick 20.Of the players on the CMD recruiting stafftop 50 list 39 of them were selected in the top 50. Crap or genius pick Dean? :)

6. J_C

J_C Guest

Not sure how much he'll play, but here's hoping. 86. Tom Sheridan, MID, Fremantle

7. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Len wrote:
    dmandrews wrote:
    Good pick Gravenger. Before the PSD the Cradle Mountain recruiting department compiled a roughlist ofwho they expected to be picked in the top 50 and Grant was one of those names. Still got five players from that list who haven't been selected, it will interesting to see how many remain at the end of the draft. The only player selected in the top 30 who wasn't on the list was Gold Coast rookieAndrew Boston taken byLen at pick 20.Of the players on the CMD recruiting stafftop 50 list 39 of them were selected in the top 50. Crap or genius pick Dean? :) Len, it might have more a case of me overlooking Boston, other ORFFA coaches had him in their top 50.I only hadtwo rookie listed playerson my roughtop 50 list, Fraser Thurlow who was taken at pick 44 and theother rookie was only on the list because I intended to select him at 47, I didn't think anyone else would select him in the top 50. Midfielder Boston got a good write up in the AFL Prospectus for a strong finish to 2013 including 'kicking seven goals straight in his last three games' and having an elite kick.

8. Len

Funny how the draft works really, I don't think he was worth pick 20 myself, but my next pick was 50, and of the players available when I took that pick he was the one I would most regret not having, so he became #20. for all I know he is an irrelevancy to other teams and would have been there at 92, though sNoZ did express an interest :)

9. Len

No pressure Jimbo, but you hold the key that determines the Misfits bust or glory on the last pick :p

10. snoz

snoz Moderator

You are correct Len.......Boston would've been my 3rd pick, #37. And yes....he is probably a speculative 4th Rd+ pick but I would have grabbed him early as well. As for the draft, have we ground to a halt?

11. anthak

Simonoz wrote:
    You are correct Len.......Boston would've been my 3rd pick, #37. And yes....he is probably a speculative 4th Rd+ pick but I would have grabbed him early as well. As for the draft, have we ground to a halt? JimBowan is up next. I wonder if he knows. He has until about 2:58pm AEDT. About 4 and a half hours to go.

12. snoz

snoz Moderator

No hurry Anth, we only have about 10 picks left at the most......JB can take his time sNoZ

13. Len

Yeah I don't see any need to enforce a skip, we have time, not many picks and Jim is hardly a serial offender...

14. anthak

When exactly do we have until? midnight on the 10th or sooner? Trade period starts on the 11th.

15. Len

Midnight on the 10th..

16. grav

grav Guest

Oh well, if no rush on here i'll check back in later tonight...

17. Len

gravenger wrote:
    Oh well, if no rush on here i'll check back in later tonight... Jim will be on very shortly, I should be almost straight after..

18. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay, I am going to take a flyer on Keiran HARPER from NM, love his talent, hope he can get it together.

19. Len

Cheers Jim, life gets in the way sometimes.. At pick 92 Marble Bar are selecting Matt Arnot, Richmond. This was tough, I wish I'd delisted another as there are two I really want..

20. grav

grav Guest

The hardest pick of the lot. #93 Will Schofield, Def, WCE