ORFFA Official Pre-Season Draft Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Feb 18, 2013.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Lenh191 wrote: With Pick 63 Gariwerd select Setanta O'hAilpin of the GWS Thanks for posting this on my behalf Len. Gariwerd are happy to get this Syndeysider, come Irishman, come Sydneysider. I'd been thinking about him ever since I read an article last year about how Sheedy expected him to take over where Falou left off - presumably he meant the player whose teammates would only ever reluctantly pass the ball to. I have been a bit concerned about his injury, but I noticed today that he's been picked to play this weekend, so that's a good sign. A big reason why we grabbed Setanta is for his DPP R/F. We now have 3 rucks and enough forwards.
    That's it for us in this draft. We're happy with the 4 players we've managed to pick up, and look forward now to working out who to delist midseason. Thanks for your awesome work with this draft Len. I really appreciate the time you've put in to this. The thread with the pool of available players was a godsend, and fwiw, as I mentioned somewhere else, I was particularly impressed with how quickly you had the OP updated throughout. Well done mate and thank you.

2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    With pick #68, Charlie's Opening select Jackson Thurlow. I have left the door ajar for you Simon. Your lucky day TiB. Up until I typed Rohan Bwwick , thurlow was my pick. But I don't need defenders right now...

3. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for picking Thurlow in my absence TiB.
    Charlie's Opening could not pass up the opportunity to grab Thurlow, as a speculative pick more than anything. Quite content with our defensive stocks... If Thurlow takes off we have got lucky, if not then no real damage done.
    That concludes our role in the draft...back to preparing for our match against the Devils

4. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Thurlow will be a gun. Weird he lasted so long.

5. I rated him below Majak and Watto

6. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

I was alsosurprised that Thurlow lasted so long. 2012 Draftees dominated the first 24 picks of this drafthowever from pick 25 onwards players with AFL experience have proven to be more popular than the 2012 Draftees as ORFFA clubs sought to improve their depth in their weaker positions which has resulted in some 2012 Draftees sliding down the order. The Cradle Mountain Devils have also concluded their role in the draft and arelooking forward to doing battle with their Tasmanian rival Charlie's Opening at The Pit in Round 1, it should be a great game.

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Cheers ant, I liked the pick, DPP ruckman that will play aren't spread all over the ground, you just have hope he stays healthy..
    Sorry guys, long sleep in, Andy is up.
    Chief the active pick list should be right in the OP mate, so if it's not listed it can be skipped.

8. Len

Avg Salary for picks 1 18 167k 19 - 36 192k 37 - 54 259k So increasing as we go deeper, but then from 55 onwards we are currently at 170k, so apparently bargain hunting in the rookie bin again.

9. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Hornsy wrote:
    Thurlow will be a gun. Weird he lasted so long. Hope so H.... I wasn't set on a defender, but when he was still there couldn't hold back.
    i now wish I had been a bit more ruthless with my delistings as there is still some real quality left in the pool... A thought to park for season end

10. graeme

graeme Guest

yep Bandito, at this stage I appear to be spoilt for choice for picks 5 and 6 which suggests there will be quality available in the mid-season draft.
    As we seem wedded to six delists each year the benefit of outing six for the pre-season draft does look like the way to go.

11. Len

Keep in mind though, what isn't picked in this draft is obviously available in the mid, and we will have had a chance to have a look at them. I am in two minds, I still like a significant number of available options, but I would like to see how at least 1/2 of them go also.

12. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Sigh ... I'm having massive buyers regret (or non-buyers regret) over not picking Thurlow. I've been really happy with hoiw my draft and trading went, picked up a lot of good young players, but really regret no grabbing Thurlow now. There's always one or two that get away that you regret - reckon that might be mine.

13. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Morning all. A cool 220C in BKK this morning. Guess we are waiting on the Nuffers?

14. graeme

graeme Guest

An interesting day as a builder's labourer helping replace some old fascia boards. Not sure all builder's labourers get this much net time though

15. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Here I am guys. Sorry to hold things up but now we can boot along. He was booted out by someone but the Nuffers like the cut of his boot and wish to boot up Bootsma. Bloody bootiful.

16. TerryinBangkok

Pick #76 Jackson Allen

17. TerryinBangkok

P'rap and chels. If you could be so kind. Who's driving this bus?

18. graeme

graeme Guest

standing at attention and ready to pick once young P'rap has transacted.

19. G-Train

G-Train Member

77 Western Bullfrogs Christian Howard

20. grav

grav Guest

You lads/ladies read H's blog on the home page re: draft pick success probability? (what is pick 15 worth, really?) Don't wanting to hold up proceedings but might befood for thoughtbefore you finish yr picks