ORFFA Official Pre-Season Draft Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Feb 18, 2013.

1. graeme

graeme Guest

The Waikiks have decided to beef up our Ruck stocks by taking an insurance policy on Sauce.
    Pick 78 or pick 74 on my revised schedule: Angus (pity it is not Ben) Graham; Adelaide

2. J_C

J_C Guest

chris88 wrote:
    Sigh ... I'm having massive buyers regret (or non-buyers regret) over not picking Thurlow. I've been really happy with hoiw my draft and trading went, picked up a lot of good young players, but really regret no grabbing Thurlow now. There's always one or two that get away that you regret - reckon that might be mine. Yeah me too Chris. When he didn't go early I thought 'great, I 'll grab him late if he's there'.
    Still can't tell you why I didn't.

3. G-Train

G-Train Member

Is it on me again?

4. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Sure is Prap

5. G-Train

G-Train Member

Pick 80 Nth Melbourne Taylor Garner

6. Bandit

Philosoraptor wrote:
    Pick 80 Nth Melbourne Taylor Garner Great get

7. Bandit

JC wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Sigh ... I'm having massive buyers regret (or non-buyers regret) over not picking Thurlow. I've been really happy with hoiw my draft and trading went, picked up a lot of good young players, but really regret no grabbing Thurlow now. There's always one or two that get away that you regret - reckon that might be mine. Yeah me too Chris. When he didn't go early I thought 'great, I 'll grab him late if he's there'.
    Still can't tell you why I didn't. To be honest, I was deciding between him and Marco at 38, and I had typed out the name at 48, but stuck with my strategy of strengthening the midfield, and picked up Picken as an insurance policy. Then when 68 came around it was a no brainer really.... Geelong have a great rep of blooding young players, and they are turning over an aging list now. With Scarlett gone, Hunt and Enright getting long in the tooth, and Mackie now 28, he will be given a chance, it all comes down to when. I have enough cover that if that is not until next year that is ok, but I hope he gets a run this year.
    i mean it in the nicest possible way when I say I hope he is tearing you guys apart in a couple of years!

8. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I'll go for the former VFLer drafted by Sydney - Dean Towers please.That concludes my draft. Got pretty much what I was after, with a couple of guys still on the table for mid year

9. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

The VB Vultures have decided to take Brent Renouf as ruck insurance. That finishes off Venus Bay's picks after we have taken Clint Young, Matt Shaw, Cal Bartlett and now, Brent Renouf.

10. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Relatively happy with the draft and trade period ... picked up a lot, heaps, of young guys which is what I needed to do. Got rid of quite a number of guys who were a bit older - even mid 20s or so like Picken and Smith (both 26 or 27). Cassisi as well. Picking up Tyson, Hill, Stringer, Tomlinson, Walters, Newnes should help in the next 12 months. All are on the cusp of breaking into senior sides as regulars. Rohan Bewick is only young and a needs based pick - hope he improves to a 70-75 ppg scorer. Dean Towers could be anything, could be nothing. We'll see. But I've resigned myself to falling down the ladder a bit this year because I've dumped regular senior players like Picken, Smith, Cassisi, etc and replaced them with guys who might not get games. The benefits will hopefully come in 12-18 months. Its hard to draft massively impactful players without high draft picks. That's the challenge. I'm hopeful some support can also come from guys returning from injury - Vickery, Grimes in particular, as well as Foley. But I've given up a lot of depth to try and get some youth into this team. If the wheels fall off then I may have some higher draft picks to eventually show for it, and it'll be then I go for a complete rebuild.

11. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

In my humble opinion, I think Bandit has drafted very well and will see some marginal immediate improvement, but will climb the ladder over the longer term. P'rap too has some nice nest eggs for the future. Just watch those teams near the top and in with a chance jump on Cassisi in the MSD.

12. Bandit

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    In my humble opinion, I think Bandit has drafted very well and will see some marginal immediate improvement, but will climb the ladder over the longer term. P'rap too has some nice nest eggs for the future. Just watch those teams near the top and in with a chance jump on Cassisi in the MSD. I actually reckon the Spelunkers will take a couple of backward steps this year... Unless the Frenchman and Menzel fire up. However I am happy with most of my trades (Giles especially), and with another season under the belts of the new draft picks, the Reid's, Stephen Hill, Savage and Gunston I think the Spelunkers supporters will be quite optimistic at year end.
    I'm interested to see how the Chief reflects the draft selections of all the teams in the betting odds.

13. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Ibelievethat the impact of the top 12 draft picks will not be fully felt until next year, most of the gun youngsters wont come into their own until next year at the earliest. I have the # 1 and 12 AFL draft picks and I drafted them knowing I'd be lucky to get 20 games between them. There are not very many Toby Greenes in each draft, shame, I could use a team of them :) I doubt that CR's odds for this year would change significantly as a result of the 1st 25 or so pickups, it's more likely that what came after that is where the interest lies in movement for this year?

14. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

However I am happy with most of my trades (Giles especially) Win-Win I guess as that was one of the trades I was happiest with as well. (Is that grammatically correct? lol )

15. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Lenh191 wrote:I believe that the impact of the top 12 draft picks will not be fully felt until next year, most of the gun youngsters wont come into their own until next year at the earliest. I have the # 1 and 12 AFL draft picks and I drafted them knowing I'd be lucky to get 20 games between them. There are not very many Toby Greenes in each draft, shame, I could use a team of them :) I doubt that CR's odds for this year would change significantly as a result of the 1st 25 or so pickups, it's more likely that what came after that is where the interest lies in movement for this year? I think you're right Len. What came after the first 25 picks was special... Tom Murphy! Clearly the pick of the draft :)

16. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

In all seriousness, I do actually agree with you. From Majak Daw at pick 24, there was a clear shift to experienced players, and they should be the ones to impact quickest

17. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

At 91 we welcome Clay Cameron GWS to a brave new world

18. G-Train

G-Train Member

95 West Coast Scott Lycett

19. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

nick grab P'rap, looks he might bring something this year on thebrieflook we had

20. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

Lenh191 wrote:
    Ibelievethat the impact of the top 12 draft picks will not be fully felt until next year, most of the gun youngsters wont come into their own until next year at the earliest. I have the # 1 and 12 AFL draft picks and I drafted them knowing I'd be lucky to get 20 games between them. There are not very many Toby Greenes in each draft, shame, I could use a team of them :) I doubt that CR's odds for this year would change significantly as a result of the 1st 25 or so pickups, it's more likely that what came after that is where the interest lies in movement for this year? Pretty much 100% correct Len. While most of the first year players will be good buys for the future, very few of them will have an impact in terms of high scoring this year. In fact, most if not all of them will be lucky to be in the best 15 of any of the sides in which they were drafted to. The players drafted later on with senior games under their belt already are more likely to score higher and play more games both in the AFL and in the ORFFA. This means that the odds will not fluctuate all that greatly.
    And I'm sure that many of you will have read my bro's article on the main page. While he did all the work, we do have many a discussion on the relative merits of how much a draft pick is worth in a keeper league. While not wanting to put words in his mouth, I think we are very close in our agreement as to how much...fair to say that we don't necessarily value them as much as some others. Not to say we are right, but obviously the odds will reflect my opinion :)