ORFFA Results, Ladder & Upcoming Fixture

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by bama, Jul 20, 2012.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Some interesting stuff precedes this particular post.

I have also given thought to playing with a reduced number of teams, but looked at it more from 'freezing' the abandoned team until someone wanted the franchise. Putting the players from the abandoned team back into the draft has us all salivating, but then they are gone (being no longer available for a new franchise). This could see us in a spiral of ever-diminishing number of teams. It also flags a dying league. And it also represents a major departure from ORFFL in that we are choosing and scoring from a larger pool, making it difficult for any future inter-league rivalry that might be dreamed up.

As far as a fixture goes, should not be difficult at all.

Personally, in two minds on this one and suggest we throw it open after next week. I have no evidence, but a strong gut feel that, at the very least, the Penguins are rudderless and we will have to move on that. Ideally though, the goal is an 18 team league with strong, active and interested coaches. We have a way to go to achieve that.

2. snoz

snoz Moderator

I actualy think (or vote) that a 16 team league is better anyway....but I aso think that it would be very easy to pick up a coach or two.

I guess I'm not fazed either way....so this post is rather postless :)

3. J_C

J_C Guest

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek earlier (and I hope that came across). I think replacements is probably an ideal (and simple) scenario. I was, however, being mindful of the fact that drafting and getting your initial team together is what generates so much of the interest in this sort of thing.

But as long as anyone who might take over a team is aware of what they're getting themselves into, and has enough time to try and tweak the roster via trading/drafting/delisting, there shouldn't be too many dramas there.

4. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on September 3, 2012, 22:08
    Ideally though, the goal is an 18 team league with strong, active and interested coaches. We have a way to go to achieve that. </blockquote>

Agree, and we should as much as possible try and keep the 18 teams.

Stating the bleeding obvious, this is not a league for one season. The Chooks have drafted well this year, which has them with a premiership window for the next two. There are a couple of teams that will have to do a bit of work to move into that premiership window.

When I drafted, I took a few (well ok a lot) of speculative picks to try and set up a long term premiership window. I have made a few mitskes in trying to achieve that, but that is the game.

The point I am making is that the teams were drafted all according to different startegies, and some of thsoe with long term outlooks. To go and gut one of those team of the draftable players and move those players into another team dilutes the chance of ever having 18 teams again. And I think that is a decision that is not to be made in haste, especially when the hairs on peoples backs are up at the moment about the lack of attendance.

I myself went AWOL for about 8 weeks this year. I had a fair bit of personal shit to deal with. Yes I still managed to get a team in every week, but I was not aorund, and not active. Did that impact the enjoyment for some of the others... possibly (although I doubt most of my posts add anything to the fabric of the league to be honest).

We should actively canvas to see if there are people who want to take on a team that has no rudder at the moment, and then hopefully invest the time and effort to turn it into a juggernaut in a season or three... then we have the makings of a league to be in.

Finally, outsiders might be reading these posts and thinking 'Do I really wnat to be in a league that chops and changes with the tide'... think we need to also demonstrate that we plan things out, think through and discuss and then make decisions on group consensus, not individual want. We only need to look at the decision on forced picks in the draft as an example of behaviour we should avoid.

/rant

5. TerryinBangkok

"startegies" Don't think it is a word, but in this context, it oughta be.

6. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

Point well made Bandit...as I said, I have no opinion on this. Purely Devils advocate.

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

One point, we have the ability to delist players from any team, get Walesy to delete the team, have a new team created with a name and location to suit a new manager and reload the players.
    The rebirthed team identity can reflect the new manager to a large extent.

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I personally think the new manager should be able to relocate to a new town if they choose. That shouldn't be difficult to facilitate either.

Fwiw, I don't think we need to have 18 teams. I reckon it can be more or less - doesn't really matter to me. If we lose a team and then have to add one later, we can work out some kind of draft concesions or player poaching to give the new franchise a leg-up. And the fixture would never suffer - by adjusting the length of the finals series we could always ensure we play each other once during regular season and also utilize all Home and Away AFL rounds.

I haven't read through the whole thread so I'm sorry if I'm re hashing things that have already been discussed.

Are there any particular coaches/teams in the firing line?

9. anthak

hey, can anyone help me out with a link to the pages that had ORFFA results on them? I never actually looked at them, but would be keen to check it out.
    Im talking about the one that walesy set up to auto check results each week.

Thanks

10. J_C

J_C Guest

Hey Ant. I think you're after this one http://tooserious.net/ORFFA.php?ORFFA_Round=18 .

Need to be logged in as ORFFA_Admin and then just change the round number as necessary. But I think, from memory, the scores are gone now anyway. Check it out though.

11. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from Jolcon on December 6, 2012, 01:10
    Hey Ant. I think you're after this one http://tooserious.net/ORFFA.php?ORFFA_Round=18 .

Need to be logged in as ORFFA_Admin and then just change the round number as necessary. But I think, from memory, the scores are gone now anyway. Check it out though.

</blockquote>
    Thanks, I'd say that's the one.

I tried last night, but it didn't seem to work as it should. Although that could have been my crap Internet connection at home at the moment. So I'm gonna try at work today and see what happens. May just not have worked due to it being the off-season.

12. TiB

TiB Guest

Just testing walesy's Xmas present.

13. TerryinBangkok

TiB wrote:Just testing walesy's Xmas present. Hmmm. Seems to work better with the basic text editor. Still, Lucas will feel the changes are awesome.

14. TerryinBangkok

Just so it is always accessible. [span style='color: #974806;]Ladder R1 Season 2013 1.Iron Knob 4 1422 2.Birdsville 4 1420 3.Venus Bay 4 1373 4.Mt Beauty 4 1368 5.Wagga Wagga 4 1298 6.Darraweit Guim 4 1242 7.Charlies Opening 4 1234 8.Larrikin Lagoon 4 1176 9.Nunawading 4 1107 10.Foul Bay 0 1252 11.Gundagai 0 1244 12.Whitsundays 0 1213 13.Powlett Plains 0 1167 14.Gariwerd 0 1099 15.Waikikamoocow 0 1071 16.Cradle Mountain 0 1068 17.Lovely Banks 0 1021 18.Marble Bar 0 974