ORFFA Rising Star Award?

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by dmandrews, Mar 15, 2014.

1. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

What he said. Where's the bar?

2. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    I don't love your comment Len. Grudging affection perhaps. But I will say this, and say it loudly so it reaches across the pond. Dean is doing the LWM and the RS, not Andy. Pay attention and try not to let the geriatrics down again. When we set this up, I let Fitzy run with the way he wanted to do it. I didn't understand it, but figured it would clarify over time. It did. The time for helpful comments and suggestions, including mine, is over and Dean goes with how he wants it done. The system for theLes W. Medal voting will be the same as 2013 with the five highest scoring players from each ORFFA match receiving votes on a 5,4,3,2,1 basis. I will make a slight alteration by using a tie-breaker for players thatreceive the sameSupercoach score for a match. Ifplayers from opposing teams are level the player from the winning team wins the tie-break.I'm not set on the tie-breaker for teammates but options include the ORFFA coach of those players deciding how to allocate the votes between the tied players (coach's choice) or having the tiedplayer with the highest Supercoach average for the season winning the tie-break. For the ORRFA Rising Star Award voting I am sticking with my suggestion in the OP. At the conclusion of the ORFFA Home and Away season the 18 ORFFA coaches give votes to &amp;lsquo;Rising Stars' from the ORFFA on a 5,4,3,2,1 basis for their performances in the ORFFA during that season. Coaches would not be able to vote for players from their ORFFA club meaning the maximum votes a player could receive would be 17 x 5 = 85. <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]The criteria for the ORRFA Rising Star Award will be the same as for the AFL, players to be Under the age of 21 at January 1 of that year and must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season.&amp;rdquo;[span itxtNodeId='498' itxtHarvested='0][span itxtNodeId='497' itxtHarvested='0]In the next couple of weeks I will make a post listing the players from each ORRFA club that meet the Rising Star criteria. <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;] [span itxtNodeId='497' itxtHarvested='0] <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]There was a concern about ORFFA coaches being able to do a season wide vote that subjectively ranks eligible players for the Rising Star Award. When listing the 2014 Les W. Medal votes I will put (RS) after the name of players that are eligible for the Rising Star Award. During the mid-season break and at the end of the season I will list the ORFFA games played, Les W. Medal votes received,total SC points,and average SC points per game for each player eligible for the Rising Star Award. For players ranked in the top 10 of ORFFA Rising Stars for average points per game and/or total points I will provide additional information including number of scores over 74 and over 99. Let me know if there is any additional information you would like to help you decide how to allocate your votes.​​​​​​​​​ <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]​​ <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]

3. snoz

snoz Moderator

Damn........nice stuff DM. A big thanks !!! (If you need any help, dont hesitate to ask mate)

4. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

/Portals/0/User%20Images/smile.jpg

5. grav

grav Guest

dmandrews wrote:
    TerryinBangkok wrote:
    I don't love your comment Len. Grudging affection perhaps. But I will say this, and say it loudly so it reaches across the pond. Dean is doing the LWM and the RS, not Andy. Pay attention and try not to let the geriatrics down again. When we set this up, I let Fitzy run with the way he wanted to do it. I didn't understand it, but figured it would clarify over time. It did. The time for helpful comments and suggestions, including mine, is over and Dean goes with how he wants it done. The system for the Les W. Medal voting will be the same as 2013 with the five highest scoring players from each ORFFA match receiving votes on a 5,4,3,2,1 basis. I will make a slight alteration by using a tie-breaker for players that receive the same Supercoach score for a match. If players from opposing teams are level the player from the winning team wins the tie-break. I'm not set on the tie-breaker for teammates but options include the ORFFA coach of those players deciding how to allocate the votes between the tied players (coach's choice) or having the tied player with the highest Supercoach average for the season winning the tie-break. For the ORRFA Rising Star Award voting I am sticking with my suggestion in the OP. At the conclusion of the ORFFA Home and Away season the 18 ORFFA coaches give votes to &amp;lsquo;Rising Stars' from the ORFFA on a 5,4,3,2,1 basis for their performances in the ORFFA during that season. Coaches would not be able to vote for players from their ORFFA club meaning the maximum votes a player could receive would be 17 x 5 = 85. <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]The criteria for the ORRFA Rising Star Award will be the same as for the AFL, players to be Under the age of 21 at January 1 of that year and must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season.&amp;rdquo; [span itxtharvested='0' itxtnodeid='498] [span itxtharvested='0' itxtnodeid='497]In the next couple of weeks I will make a post listing the players from each ORRFA club that meet the Rising Star criteria. <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;] [span itxtharvested='0' itxtnodeid='497] <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]There was a concern about ORFFA coaches being able to do a season wide vote that subjectively ranks eligible players for the Rising Star Award. When listing the 2014 Les W. Medal votes I will put (RS) after the name of players that are eligible for the Rising Star Award. During the mid-season break and at the end of the season I will list the ORFFA games played, Les W. Medal votes received, total SC points, and average SC points per game for each player eligible for the Rising Star Award. For players ranked in the top 10 of ORFFA Rising Stars for average points per game and/or total points I will provide additional information including number of scores over 74 and over 99. Let me know if there is any additional information you would like to help you decide how to allocate your votes.​​​​​​​​​ <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]​​ <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;] Fantastic work DM, in taking on the LWM stuff and initiating the Rising Star. In allocating my votes for Rising Star, I would be keen to know total TOG minutes so to calculate points per minute. Personally would like to give some consideration to sub-affected kids, who might be shit-hot but cant quite cement a spot. So ppm will beone criteria I plan to use.

6. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

gravenger wrote:
    Fantastic work DM, in taking on the LWM stuff and initiating the Rising Star. In allocating my votes for Rising Star, I would be keen to know total TOG minutes so to calculate points per minute. Personally would like to give some consideration to sub-affected kids, who might be shit-hot but cant quite cement a spot. So ppm will beone criteria I plan to use. Gravenger, I can get the the % game-time played from the AFL websiteand calulate a points per 100% game time, however the websites I use don't have minutes played. Let me know if % game-time is OK, or alternatively if you need it to be minutes played per game advise where I can these figures from.

7. grav

grav Guest

dmandrews wrote:
    gravenger wrote:
    Fantastic work DM, in taking on the LWM stuff and initiating the Rising Star. In allocating my votes for Rising Star, I would be keen to know total TOG minutes so to calculate points per minute. Personally would like to give some consideration to sub-affected kids, who might be shit-hot but cant quite cement a spot. So ppm will beone criteria I plan to use. Gravenger, I can get the the % game-time played from the AFL websiteand calulate a points per 100% game time, however the websites I use don't have minutes played. Let me know if % game-time is OK, or alternatively if you need it to be minutes played per game advise where I can these figures from. Yeah TOG% is fine, don't want to complicate things. Perhaps just a calculation of avg sc points divided by avg TOG% would suffice

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I think I'll just vote for my fave players, or draw names out of a hat ;)

9. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

anthak wrote:
    I think I'll just vote for my fave players, or draw names out of a hat ;) Good point ant. Maybe we should have a Galloping Geriatrics award?