ORFFA Round 8 Review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, May 10, 2021.

By Len on May 10, 2021 at 2:46 PM
  1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Courtesy of @TerryinBangkok

Some Mothers do have ‘em.

What a round! Close calls all over the place as coaches did their best for Mum (although for some it was just a walk in the Thomas Jefferson Park). We may have even had a Mum who won (but we don’t need to know about that). Perhaps it is appropriate that Mother’s Day Round proves to be season defining.

First cab off the rank was the annual Pinot (& mushroom) Cup with the sunny isles hosting the golfing, bridge playing pig hunters. Whitsunday Warriors (1233) rose to the occasion with their best score of the year, with both defenders and forwards rampant for Mum. But it was not good enough for the Waikiks (1243) who had Mitchell (147) and some other useful bodies in the guts. That’s where it counts. So that was our excitement for this season and @graeme returns home retaining cup in hand. If Dusty didn’t have to quarantine, then the doyen of the Bull’s Head Tavern should be okay.

The return to form of de Goey (118) was enough for the Iron Knob (1145). Just. If you dig down into it, the Spelunkers (1027) were huge in the middle with the Bont (155) and Zerrett (131), but stuffed it up completely with a donut and a p-poor effort on the bench. Even heroics from Darcy were not enough. Frustrating.

Snoz is always going on about math. Maybe he has something. Let us see now. 90 – 27 = 63. Right? And 1341 – 1325 = 16. Right? Perhaps @Len knows what I’m talking about. Job security for Leon Cameron would not be good if he did that. So, the Misfits (1325) went down to the Chooks (1341). The Misfits had a clear edge in the middle, but the Chickens excelled on the forward line. I would like to say that this game requires concentration, but then I concentrate like hell every week and it does me no good.

Clearly Lenny didn’t get the memo about it being Mother’s Day. Packers (1063) went down to the Wombats (1156). Had it been me, I would have called up from Wagga Wagga to my old mate Bandit for some tips on how to throw this one. So confident is Lenny he has decided to give Lycett a couple of weeks holiday (might be good news for the Lefties). Sam Taylor coming along nicely for the Packers, but they need to field a full side to have a good crack.

Wanderers are good. Never mind the Hoppers, the Wanderers are an up and coming side, right up there with the Lilacs. The future of ORFFA. Not wishing to bore anyone, but Mills (145), Weitering (156), Oliver (125), McCluggage (127), Billings (130), Grundy (128), Powell (122) and to season the soup, Stringer (22), Allen (57) and Henry (30). So, Hoppers (1456) defeated the Wanderers (1208). Sometimes strange things happen in finals.

TTH was asking if he could field his women’s team for this stoush with the Devils, being Mother’s Day and all. This sent the Commish into a dizzy spell, only returning to Earth to witness his Mum watching flying Demons. A good day at the office for the Devils (1254) and another dream of the magic 1,000 for the Nuffers (849). A casual 138 from Daniel Rich, but otherwise the Devils underperformed slightly. Redman looks like he will be a good pick up for the Nuffers.

@JC and @anthak played out the inaugural Craptacular Cup. The Battlers started very strongly with a haul of 3 OOPs and threw in 5 scores under 60 for good measure. But the Cockies were having no part of this and threw in a donut of their own to seal the match. A valiant effort from the Battlers (950), that would have made Bandit jealous, but the Cockies (1279) prevailed in a welcome return to form. Cleary cockatoos are unfazed by the high temperatures of Birdsville. I mean, it’s Birdsville after all – home to Chooks and Vultures. Ant is so happy with the way CJ and Willem are developing, he has decided to have some ‘resting’ for Touk.

Match of the round and the defining moment for Lovely Banks (1274) who prevailed at home over a strong team of Uglies (1235). Not much in it, but Jen’s decision to put Darcy Moore (130) back where he belongs has been described as a coaching master stroke. Duncan, Parish and Amon got the job done in the middle where Mount Beauty were slightly under par, this probably being the difference.

Two donuts, but still the Lefties (1009) managed to crack the 1k. Not enough though for the Vultures (1194) who were in cruise control. It is compulsory viewing watching the Lefties go through their rebuild. Surprises like Markov tend to pop up. Big question is; will Fitzy be a contender this year? Some of the most likelies are floundering a bit which puts the door ajar for those who are thereabouts.

There is now a bit of a gap between the top 8 and the rest, but the Uglies and the Moocows are still very much in the hunt. The Cockies, the Lilacs and the Devils will be looking over their shoulders.

• Like Like x 10

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, May 10, 2021.

1. anthak
      anthak
      I think I am very lucky to be in the 8. There are 4 teams outside the 8 who have scored many more points than me.
      • Like Like x 2
    2. graeme
      graeme
      Top stuff @Len - the veterinarians will be busy again this week trying to inject some life into the ailing cows.
      • Like Like x 2
    3. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      After pleading to get back on the front page it finally comes back with a Mother result!
      The old me would go on about this but the more placid I ..... says "Well done Jen" but probably still slinks off to the bar
      to drown the pungent odour of defeat. Cant go without saying thanks for the writeup TiB :)
      • Like Like x 2
    4. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Pretty good writer that Len. Maybe the Vet should take a look at the coach.
      • Like Like x 2
    5. snoz
      snoz
      Fantastic write up TiB.....thoroughly enjoyed reading it !!!
      • Like Like x 2
    6. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      *editorial note (sometimes I am too cryptic). The Misfits had a 90 on the bench and a 27 on field. Reverse that and they would have won.
      • Like Like x 3
    7. graeme
      graeme
      Apologies @TerryinBangkok - should have realised when there were no spelling mistakes.
      • Like Like x 4
    8. JC
      JC
      Thanks, @TerryinBangkok - an enjoyable read as always. The Battlers are cannon fodder for now so fingers crossed there are some reinforcements on the way.
      • Like Like x 2
    9. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Thanks @TerryinBangkok

As expected the Devils @dmandrews were far too good while the Nuffers did manage to get a small win with Macpherson getting a decent run as the medical sub to boost the numbers slightly, but this was undone by the dropping of Dow by the blues.

Slightly better days could be ahead with Trent Dumont getting closer to a senior return while Matt Rowell is expected to be back some time after the midseason break.

So the club should be back to being a threat to have a full side on the park in the back end of 2021 and once again have the ability to regularly reach the promised land of 4 figures.
      • Like Like x 2
    10. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Well played TiB.
      If we can’t be entertaining on the field then hope our list on paper gives something to tantalise.
      • Like Like x 4
    11. Bandit
      Bandit
      Good read @TerryinBangkok

serious selection stuff up from my side... but I don’t think it would have been enough to nick a win
      • Like Like x 1
    12. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      Eagerly awaiting the next write up, we may be in the top eight (well Bama really) :p
    13. anthak
      anthak
      Same here. I’m shocked by how well the Cockies are going this year. It’s been a bit up and down, but surprisingly mostly up. I’m not expecting it to continue for long, but I’m enjoying the ride.
      • Like Like x 1